Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 12-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Hall, Radclyffe: The Unlit Lamp, v.1, 8 Dec 2007.

The novel was first published in 1924 and was actually Hall’s first, though was not published until after ‘The Well of Loneliness’ (--already uploaded).

Set in the early 20th century, it is the story of Elizabeth Ogden, a bright and independent girl, who wishes to go to university and train as a doctor. However, she will have to overcome her parents’ objections. Her father is a blustering, retired military man and her mother is a neurotic, self-centred and manipulative snob. She repeatedly uses emotional blackmail to appeal to the girl’s sense of duty. Elizabeth eventually succumbs to the path of least resistance, and is finally abandoned by her supportive friends after numerous attempts to dissuade her from a misplaced sense of loyalty to her mother.

Yes, it is a bit earnest, if not actually grim. But those with emotionally demanding parents may well find it cathartic. (Anyway, I did.)

The text recently appeared on PG Australia. I have corrected a few typos against my paper copy (now destined for the charity shop) as well as adding a ToC, curly quotes and photograph of the author.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Hall_The Unlit Lamp.prc (438.1 KB, 982 views)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
yales
yales began at the beginning.

Device: blackberry mobi
A request to patricia

Thank you for posting the excellent works of literature.

May I ask a favor, however?

You often post a detailed synopsis or analysis of the work which is a complete "spoiler". Here is an example:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16899

I much prefer to read a work without knowing the details of the plot and the final resolution ahead of time.

Even a more broad overview, such as in this thread, may be considered too revealing.

Thanks, yale

Last edited by yales; 12-09-2007 at 02:14 PM.
yales is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Ok I'll bear this in mind.
I wouldn't dream of giving away the end of a detective novel but didn't realise that people also want to be surprised by the ending with other genres.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
yales

"...didn't realise that people also want to be surprised by the ending with other genres."

It is not just the "ending".

Every page of every work of fiction should be a surprise and delight to the reader.

The author created the work in a specific way to reveal facts, persons, relationships, events, etc. The craft is in the timing and method.

To tell the plot and relationships to the reader before they are presented as the author intended, is to do a serious disservice to both.

Remember, it not just revealing the "ending" that makes it a spoiler, any level of detail is harmful. Let the tale be told as the yarnspinner intended.

Here is an example from amazon introducing King Solomon's Mines:

"Book Description
When first published, in 1885, King Solomon’s Mines was an enormous popular success. The narrative follows the explorations of Allan Quatermain, a fortune hunter who travels to Africa in search of ancient treasures and a lost fellow explorer. Written as an adventure story, the novel is also a late-Victorian imperial romance that illuminates the politics of British imperialist capitalism in 1870s and 1880s South Africa. "

Great! Makes me want to read it. It gives me a broad introduction, yet tells me nothing about the adventure to come.

This section of the forum is E-BOOK Uploads, not necessarily a discussion of the works.

If they are discussed, maybe the replies are a better place, so downloaders may choose whether to learn more about the work, reading the whole thread.

yale

Last edited by yales; 12-09-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Most of the books (OK, all of the books that I remember) posted by Patricia are public domain by right of the copyright expiring (if they ever were copyright.) They are books that, even if we haven't read, most of us have been exposed to the book in one way or another.

I favor the descriptions, I wish I had the dedication to write such descriptions. Some of my descriptions are only slightly better than "its a book that once was printed on paper pages with words, marks, and white space."

If the descriptions are too much for you, simply vow to ignore what Patricia writes about a book and download from the title only.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
yales

I suggested a viable alternative to making the post with the link essentially a detailed spoiler:

"If they are discussed, maybe the replies are a better place, so downloaders may choose whether to learn more about the work, reading the whole thread."

Keep it general in the first post, and move the details to a reply.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:23 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
We are looking into the "spoiler" issue... perhaps we can come up with something programmatically
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote