Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
flo_tm
flo_tm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Touch WiFi
Question Kindle 3 WiFi - Time won't stay set

Hi everybody,

since this is my first post - hello to all. Nice to have found you, I hope you can help me.

I'm a Kindle owner for a few days now and am slowly getting to know the limitations of the thingy. There's one thing I can't seem to get which should be possible: the correct time.

I have a WiFi only "international" model, 3.02. After setting the time in the beginning, I always kept WiFi OFF. I read, I let the kindle go to sleep, play around, put new material on it ...
Then I pick it up the next morning and the time is wrong by several hours.

The battery is fine. Only possible explanation I can think of: Does a restart reset the time ? I use the Kindle collection manager which requires a restart afterwards.

Otherwise I don't see why the device should loose track of time. Did anybody else have a similar experience ?

Thanks for your time ... =))
flo_tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
I manually set my time on my Kindle (WiFI only) and haven't had a problem with it loosing time/changing time. Here is a quote from Kindleboards that might help you:
Quote:
Luvmy4brats
Re: Kindle Time Incorrect
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 05:29:11 PM »
Try doing these 2 things:

1. Turn your whispernet on and Sync & Check for new items.
if that doesn't work:
2. with your whispernet on, go to Home>menu>settings>menu>restart
That *should* fix the problem

Hoosiermama
Re: Kindle Time Incorrect
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 01:14:29 PM »

If that doesn't work, when this happened with mine, Kindle CS told me to go to the Manage My Kindle Page and re-enter my location. Then I restarted the Kindle and it picked up the correct time.
Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 04:01 AM   #3
flo_tm

Question Status Report

Thanks for your input !

Sadly, my country is set correctly in "Manage my Kindle" - and since this morning , it's 19 minutes off after approx 8 hours in sleep mode, so I don't think it has anything to do with time zones or syncing.

I'll open a call with Amazon CS, but I'm loathing this already, since I don't want to send it in - I'm located in Germany ...

Thanks again ...
Old 10-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Sounds as if the internal clock is a bit off. Sorry - I misunderstood; I thought it just wasn't keeping track of your time zone.

I haven't needed to use the time function of the Kindle - with a watch and computers and other time pieces around, I haven't had the need to check the time via the Kindle. This internal clock problem, however, may indicate other problems with your unit; after all, it is a computer so it could be that other processes in the unit depend upon it having an accurate clock. Calling Kindle CS is probably a good idea.

Since you are in Germany, do you think you will have to pay for shipping and taxes, etc.? I bet that's not cheap but won't Amazon pick up at least part of the tab since the unit is faulty? One can only hope.

Holly
Old 10-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
flo_tm

Want to know what CS says ?

... Please update to 3.03 ...
... No it's not a known error with a fix in 3.03, yes, even if it's a preview version, no, we don't have release notes ...

... The time is updated over Whispernet ... (no, it isnt ... =))
... The Kindle does not have an internal clock ...
... I'll ask our developers ...

But at least these were 3 Callbacks from USA to Germany with no wait time whatsoever. That service is undeniably good.

=))

So I think I'll just live with it if it doesn't get worse.
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo_tm View Post
... Please update to 3.03 ...
... No it's not a known error with a fix in 3.03, yes, even if it's a preview version, no, we don't have release notes ...

... The Kindle does not have an internal clock ...
... I'll ask our developers ...

But at least these were 3 Callbacks from USA to Germany with no wait time whatsoever. That service is undeniably good.

=))

So I think I'll just live with it if it doesn't get worse.
Wow, so basically you got the run around. Even if they were good about calling you back, they obviously didn't have a clue!

I still feel that it is a malfunction in your particular unit. Or perhaps the rest of us just aren't paying attention to what time our Kindles think it is, and the problem is much more common.

Maybe I better start checking the time on mine.

Holly
Old 10-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
It does if you're using 3G but I guess not if you're using WiFi which is odd.

Is the offset always the same? Any relation to your offset from GMT?
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:28 AM   #8
flo_tm

Red face No, time offset could be verified by me ...

... only with restarts or when turning it off. Interestingly, it offsets backward, most often 3-10 minutes. No relation to timezones , as stated earlier.

For example: time set is 9.21 pm, restart, time suddenly is 9.18 pm. Turning on WiFi doesn't change anything - I could browse the net for hours without anything happening to the time.

I updated to 3.03 (The hacks for 3.02 aren't really that tempting, so that was not a big thing to give up on.) Since I didn't use Kindle collection manager any more for the last few days, I didn't do any more restarts and I also stopped turning it off. I only turned it to standby and am continously checking the time now. Until now, it's keeping the correct time.

Regarding the Customer Service: Yeah, but at least it was a run around without waiting for hours in a expensive international call and they were very polite about it. As long as nothing worse happens, I'm good - I want to read and not use it as a watch ... and if it turns worse: Amazon CS said they pick up shipping costs for faulty units.

Flo
Old 10-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
OakIris
Addict

Quote:

I updated to 3.03 (The hacks for 3.02 aren't really that tempting, so that was not a big thing to give up on.) Since I didn't use Kindle collection manager any more for the last few days, I didn't do any more restarts and I also stopped turning it off. I only turned it to standby and am continously checking the time now. Until now, it's keeping the correct time.

Regarding the Customer Service: Yeah, but at least it was a run around without waiting for hours in a expensive international call and they were very polite about it. As long as nothing worse happens, I'm good - I want to read and not use it as a watch ... and if it turns worse: Amazon CS said they pick up shipping costs for faulty units.

Flo
I haven't updated to 3.0.3 firmware as yet. I decided I did want the screen saver hack so I went ahead and did that, just in case it would never bve available again. (Though I bet NiLuJe will figure out how to hack the new firmware.)

It's odd that the restart seems to be what is causing your Kindle to loose time, while just going into sleep mode after reading sessions doesn't seem to do this. Let us know if the problem still occurs with the new firmware version. If so, maybe that CS rep was correct, even though it seemed as if he/she was grasping at straws to give you a solution!

Very cool that Amazon will pay for the shipping of faulty units - and the replacement too, I would hope.

Holly
Old 10-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It is on a 3G Kindle. Perhaps the CS person didn't realise that it was a WiFi model.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, time