Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #706
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
In case anyone else is interested, what GtrsRGr8 is talking about is that I put together a PDF similar to Richard Elliott Friedman's The Bible with Sources Revealed, which shows the various hypothetical sources of the Pentateuch in different colors. I used the ASV and data published in 1902, so there should be no jurisdiction with copyright difficulties. It's in Mobileread's Patricia Clark Memorial Library here.
In case you forget about it being in the Patricia Clark Library, or get kicked off of MobileRead for one or more violations of the rules (not that that would _ever_ happen to one of _us_--we are all as pure as the driven snow. ), I think that you also mentioned that you posted it on the Internet Archive. Might be a little difficult to find amongst all of the other JEDP works that undoubtedly are there, but add ASV (American Standard Version) to the query, and that should narrow down, considerably, the number of hits.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #707
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
In case you forget about it being in the Patricia Clark Library, or get kicked off of MobileRead for one or more violations of the rules (not that that would _ever_ happen to one of _us_--we are all as pure as the driven snow. ), I think that you also mentioned that you posted it on the Internet Archive. Might be a little difficult to find amongst all of the other JEDP works that undoubtedly are there, but add ASV (American Standard Version) to the query, and that should narrow down, considerably, the number of hits.
I've linked to things that are in the Internet Archive, but never put anything there myself.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #708
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

<snip>

Eerdmans has sharply reduced the price of a good number of their books again. It's common to see books priced at the $1.99 and $2.99 price points, books which no doubt originally sold for many times those amounts. Here's the URL to the hits of a search of their ebooks at Amazon, with prices filtered from low to high (unfortunately, either something is wrong with me, or something is wrong with Amazon, because the search frequently puts higher-priced ebooks ahead of less-expensive ones): https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_pn_2?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3A"e erdmans"&page=3&sort=price-asc-rank&keywords="eerdmans"&ie=UTF8&qid=1536385344.

These all likely are what the book trade call "backlist" books. Be sure to check the date of publication for each book that you might be interested in--many of them were published quite a few years ago. For some books, that won't matter much; for some books it might.

The previous was a quote from an earlier post; the following is intended to be an addendum to that earlier post of mine:
FWIW (I wonder if Paul Harvey coined the phrase "For What It's Worth?), I learned from one of my super-secret bargain book sources that the "new" offerings from Eerdmans constitute a "Monthly Sale" by them. Evidently, kismet/serendipity/whatever caused me to catch the reductions very soon after they happened, because the super-secret bargain book source, that I referred to earlier, posted them about the same time as I did. I'll have to calendar-ize the date of the month.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-09-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:32 PM   #709
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've linked to things that are in the Internet Archive, but never put anything there myself.
I'll be sure to behave myself, then, until I've downloaded the book from the Patricia Clark Memorial Library.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #710
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Well, I'm trying to give some overdue karma to folks on this thread. But when I attempt it, the "reputation" box keeps closing when I try to scroll up or down, and when I try to make entries. It happens on all of the threads, but it only happens on this smartphone. Hopefully, I'll be able to un-brick my real computer soon, and take care of this matter. Arrgghhh!

ADDENDUM: It happens on an Android OS, and using Chrome or Firefox.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-09-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #711
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Well, I'm trying to give some overdue karma to folks on this thread. But when I attempt it, the "reputation" box keeps closing when I try to scroll up or down, and when I try to make entries. It happens on all of the threads, but it only happens on this smartphone. Hopefully, I'll be able to un-brick my real computer soon, and take care of this matter. Arrgghhh!

ADDENDUM: It happens on an Android OS, and using Chrome or Firefox.
Do a long press on the karma button and then pick "open in new tab" or "open in new window", as you prefer. Then toggle to the new tab/window and karmalize at will.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #712
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Do a long press on the karma button and then pick "open in new tab" or "open in new window", as you prefer. Then toggle to the new tab/window and karmalize at will.
I thought that I successfully made a post in response to yours, but it doesn't show up. It was simply, "Thank you!"

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-09-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #713
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Free audiobook: HOW TO BATTLE DEPRESSION AND SUICIDAL THOUGHTS
https://christianaudio.com/free
Info from publisher:
In this moving fictional account, a caring bystander tries to convince a suicidal young man that his life has value and he has much to live for. Through their conversation, you will discover why we all have great worth, everyone has a reason and purpose for living, no situation is ever hopeless, and suicide is never a good option. Whether you want to be able to share these truths with others, or you need to hear them yourself, this impactful book will offer a lasting cure for this growing epidemic.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #714
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
Free audiobook: HOW TO BATTLE DEPRESSION AND SUICIDAL THOUGHTS
https://christianaudio.com/free
Info from publisher:
In this moving fictional account, a caring bystander tries to convince a suicidal young man that his life has value and he has much to live for. Through their conversation, you will discover why we all have great worth, everyone has a reason and purpose for living, no situation is ever hopeless, and suicide is never a good option. Whether you want to be able to share these truths with others, or you need to hear them yourself, this impactful book will offer a lasting cure for this growing epidemic.
Wow. Talking about how you can't judge an audiobook by its cover! I definitely had this one pegged as non-fiction! And the clencher was that the author, Ray Comfort, is a prolific author of non-fiction.

I demand my money back! Oh, wait a minute . . . . I didn't pay any money for it . . . .

And speaking of the cover . . . . someone has a macabre (not to mention subtle) sense of humor, what with the picture of the San Francisco Bridge filling the picture on the front of the case.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-23-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #715
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Another Wiersbe commentary is free, thanks to David C Cook books, this one on the book of Daniel.
https://www.amazon.com/Wiersbe-Bible...dp/B00AG8LT6U/
Also free at the other usual places.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:00 AM   #716
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Cheap HarperOne Titles

Amazon has a goodly number of HarperOne titles marked down to 99 cents, and a much larger number down to $1.99.

HarperOne is the division of HarperCollins Publishers that does most, if not all, of the religious publishing for HarperCollins. However, some of HarperOne's books have only the slightest connection to religion--like ones on personal success and self-development.

While there is a wide spectrum of religious subjects represented, relatively few can be considered of "Christian Interest," specifically, although Christians will find a substantial number of titles that might make good reference material.

These books are, almost certainly, all "backlist" books. I've seen many of them marked down on Amazon before, some quite a few years ago.

I'll let you explore for yourself now. The following web address should give you the hits from a search of the marked-down HarperOne titles, filtered by price, low to high.

https://amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=aa_sbox_sort?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck %3A"harperone"&sort=price-asc-rank&keywords="harperone"&ie=UTF8&qid=1538091427#.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-28-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:48 AM   #717
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've occasionally posted a collection of free stuff and the appearance of the new guy made me realize it's been a while. Most of this has been posted before in one form or another. To keep from annoying people that have seen these links several times now, I've wrapped them in SPOILER tags.

Spoiler:

Crossway's ESV Classic Reference Bible and ESV Global Study Bible are available for free at the usual ebook stores, but can still be downloaded as DRM-free epub and mobi (for Kindle) files from Crossway if you're willing to create an account.

ESV Classic Reference Bible:
Crossway
eBooks.com
Amazon

ESV Global Study Bible
Crossway
eBooks.com
Amazon

Crossway has a free ESV Android app, as well.

The HCSB (Holman Christian Standard Bible) from Broadman & Holman can be downloaded as a DRM-free epub here. It's also free at regular ebook stores (Amazon).

HCSB: Navigating the Horizons in Bible Translations (free everywhere, but here are links for eBooks.com and Amazon) is a book about Bible translation in general and why B&H thinks that its HCSB translation is the best.

The updated CSB isn't free as a standard ebook, but the Android app is free.

The NETS (New English Translation of the Septuagint) can be downloaded as PDFs of individual books (including Greek Apocrypha) here.

The 1917 edition of the JPS Tanakh is available as a PDF from The Jewish Publication Society's website. Sign up for their newsletter and you'll be redirected to a page with a download link. Note that this isn't a scan, but has been typeset as a PDF.

Barbour Publishing's Holy Bible New Life Version, New Testament is free at a few ebook stores (not Amazon, curiously):
B&N
Kobo

The Lexham English Bible is free in various formats (including epub) from Logos software.

Also from Logos and the Society of Biblical Literature is the SBL Greek New Testament, again in various formats. If you otherwise have little use for a Greek New Testament, note that there's a "reverse interlinear" with the LEB English text and the corresponding Greek.

If you use Logos Bible software and have an account, Logos has three main sites, each of which offers a free book each month. The free version of the software is here.
Logos
Verbum
Faithlife

If you use WordSearch Bible software, there's a free book each Friday. If the free ebook link redirects to the main page, either wait a few hours (they're not always punctual about putting it up) or check the blog. The free version of the software is here.

Olive Tree Bible Software was bought out a few years ago by the Christian division of HarperCollins. HarperCollins owns Zondervan and Thomas Nelson, so The Olive Tree software includes the NIV and NKJV for free in addition to the other standard free Bibles (ESV, HCSB, KJV, ASV). Olive Tree software is free.

A PDF of Frank Moore Cross: Conversations with a Bible Scholar by Herschel Shanks is available here. There are others as well, but the rest are lower quality.

Mark Goodacre's The Synoptic Problem: A Way Through the Maze is available as a PDF scan. It's linked at the Internet Archive from the author's website.

If you're into creationism, here's a list of ebooks that Answers in Genesis offered for download a number of years ago. They removed the pages linking to the ebooks, but didn't remove the ebook files themselves and the links still work:

Frozen in Time by Michael Oard
Flood Legends by Charles Martin
Global Warming and the Creator's Plan by Jay Auxt and William Curtis
The Lie: Evolution by Ken Ham
Creation Facts of Life by Gary Parker
In Six Days: Why Fifty Scientists Choose to Believe in Creation
The Great Dinosaur Mystery Solved! by Ken Ham
Defending the Faith by Henry Morris
Biblical Creationism by Henry Morris

Men of Science, Men of God by Henry Morris PDF epub mobi
The Beginning of the World by Henry Morris PDF epub mobi

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon) Scripture, magazines and lesson manuals.

Watch Tower Society (Jehovah's Witnesses) Bibles, Magazines, books and online library.

Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy can be downloaded as a PDF here.

The "Congregation of YHWH", which seems to be a sort of Jews for Jesus organization, has its own Bible translation. The Hebraic Roots Bible is available in several formats here.
This is my second (and a belated) reply to your post.

The list of ebooks and resources, beneath the "spoiler" button, is awesome. Thanks for compiling and publishing it.

Does anyone know if items under a "spoiler" button get indexed and, therefore, will show up in the results of a search of the Site?

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-29-2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #718
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
The Action Bible: God's Redemptive Story by Sergio Cariello is $1.99 for a PDF at Christianbook. It's $2.99 for the epub at B&N and appears to be full price everywhere else.

It's in the style of a comic book or graphic novel, so I think the PDF works well. My concern is that the publisher lists the age range as 9-12, which I think is a little optimistic. If you're a parent and getting it for a child, I'd recommend reading it first, yourself. In fact, if you're tempted to get a paper version for a child, spend the two bucks on the PDF and read it first. It doesn't really pull any punches and I wouldn't be comfortable giving it to a nine-year-old.

EDIT: I don't want to give the impression that I think the Action Bible is poorly done. I own it both in paper and electronically and have enjoyed reading it multiple times. I just personally don't think it's appropriate for children as young as nine.

Last edited by Difflugia; 10-02-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #719
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Super Deal; Narrowly Focused Topic.

Amazon has _Sex, Marriage, and Family Life in John Calvin's Geneva: Courtship, Engagement, and Marriage_. This 544-page tome is only _$1.99_ right now, a 96% markdown from the regular price of $46.50!

It's volume 1 of Eerdmans' "Religion, Marriage and Family Series."

There are not really enough ratings for it to meet my posting standards. But, it's a solid 4.00, from 11 ratings, by the GoodReads folks, and 5.00, from 2 ratings, from our Amazonian friends.

This is one that I'm, personally, going to pass on, however. It's not that I'm against sex, marriage, or family life. Or that I'm not interested in John Calvin or about what was going on in Geneva when the native Frenchman was there. And, I'm generally "into" religious books. It's just that I'm not interested in such a narrowly-focused topic. _You_ might be, especially at such a super price!

https://www.amazon.com/Marriage-Fami.../dp/B00EP8QS18.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-03-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #720
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

It looks as though there are a few other newly-added marked-down Eerdmans titles, in addition to the one that I posted just above this post. I wish that I could figure out Eerdmans' system for adding titles to their markdowns as well as that of marking them back up (or maybe deleting them from their catalog altogether).

The price points of $1.99, $2.99, and $3.99 seem to be common on the low end, before the higher-priced ebooks appear. At that point, it seems that the prices have no particular price points.

The books probably are all "backlist" titles. These currently marked-down Eerdmans books tend to have older publishing dates (I'm talking about like publication dates of 10 to 25 years ago) as opposed to most "Christian Interest" books that we run across. But that's not nessarily a real negative for books on this subject.

If you're interested, I recommend that you go to the Kindle store, and do a search filtered according to your desires. Several months ago, someone suggested doing a search with quotation marks around the search term (so, "Eerdmans" vs Eerdmans). That was a very invaluable hint, because it increases the number of (valid) hits. I don't know why that little trick works, I just know that it does.

Happy bargain hunting.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-03-2018 at 08:16 PM.