Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
Dark123
Zealot
Dark123 doesn't litterDark123 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Has the price war for eBook Readers begun?

Amazon is selling the Kindle for £109. WHSmith is selling the Sony PRS300 for £99.
I am hoping others will still lower their price and we'll be able to choose any of them from under a £100.

What do you guys think, has the price wars begun?
Also at what price range do you think it'll become more mainstream? I am thinking under £50.
Dark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I think that the price wars began in the US with the Kobo - so, yes. As soon as the price goes to ~100, I think that adoption will increase massively - a lot of people will be getting Kindles for Christmas.

It will be interesting to see whether Amazon goes for any physical presence in UK shops, as I've heard they're planning in the US.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
Dark123
Zealot

I think during Christmas, the prices may drop even lower due to sales.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Yes, and after Christmas, whoever the losers of the tablet wars are will be on sale too!
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookNewbie123 View Post
I think during Christmas, the prices may drop even lower due to sales.
If we're talking about the UK, I'm not so sure about this. The low prices on Sony Readers at the moment are because they are clearing out old stock. By Christmas the new Sony devices will be in the shops, and (if Sony's pronouncements are to be believed) they will be more expensive than the Kindle.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new (touchscreen?) PRS-350 was priced at around the same point as the current PRS-300 was before the recent discounts, i.e. at about £125.

The other, smaller manufacturers would have to make significant and probably painful drops to compete with the Kindle price.

I see no incentive there for Amazon to drop their K3 prices.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
The main component cost is the eInk screen. As sales volumes go up, and as the manufacturing technology improves, the price of this will plummet. 10 years ago, a 17" LCD monitor cost $2500. They'd be about $25 today, if you could still buy them. The same thing will happen with the eInk screens. That will get the ereaders under $100.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
There were price wars before, but now they have started in earnest.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Jetbook light was recently on sale at newegg for 70$.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
Dark123
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
If we're talking about the UK, I'm not so sure about this. The low prices on Sony Readers at the moment are because they are clearing out old stock. By Christmas the new Sony devices will be in the shops, and (if Sony's pronouncements are to be believed) they will be more expensive than the Kindle.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new (touchscreen?) PRS-350 was priced at around the same point as the current PRS-300 was before the recent discounts, i.e. at about £125.

The other, smaller manufacturers would have to make significant and probably painful drops to compete with the Kindle price.

I see no incentive there for Amazon to drop their K3 prices.

Graham
You are forgetting Boxing Day as well. For non-UK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day
It's after Christmas and this is a day when a lot of shops have sales just for Boxing day. It's the worst day to shop, everywhere is packed full of people.

I am hoping they become under £50 barrier. I will probably buy a new one when this happens.
And/or the price of the eBooks go cheaper than their paperback or hardcover counter parts.