Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
thadine
thadine began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Any Gotchas for the EZReader?

Hi
Long long long time lurker here, but first time poster, I believe

I'm thinking of getting the Astak EZReader, but I'm wondering if there are any gotchas I should know about. I've had the Iliad, and been bitterly disappointed with it - it randomly skips batches of pages when you're trying to turn 1 page, it doesn't remember your place or font settings when reading html books, not to mention the horrible line out problems etc. All issues that many users have had, but were never mentioned in any reviews. If I had known of these bugs prior to purchasing, I would never have shelled out so much money for it.

Anyway, all you EZReader users out there, does it have any known problems like this that have just been accepted? Problems with reading specific formats and remembering your place? Battery problems? Anything to be aware of before purchasing?
thadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Not all formats display as well as others, LIT really looks bad IMO. ePub, Mobi and FB2 seem to display best from what little I used it. Text to Speech doesn't work on all formats (just so you're aware as they don't make that clear, or at least didn't).

Overall it's a nice little device.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
thadine

What do you mean by "really looks bad" ? Is it still readable? Do you mean line breaks in wrong places, or incorrect handling of special characters, or something else? Any examples you could post?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadine View Post
What do you mean by "really looks bad" ? Is it still readable? Do you mean line breaks in wrong places, or incorrect handling of special characters, or something else? Any examples you could post?
I mean breaks all over the place in the middle of words among other things. There are pics in another thread, I'll see it I can find it.

EDIT: Here you go, look at post #8 (although that looks better than the LITs I tried). Page turns are also really slow with LIT IIRC...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57602

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-21-2009 at 09:39 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
thadine

Thanks for the link - very helpful
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I mean breaks all over the place in the middle of words among other things. There are pics in another thread, I'll see it I can find it.

EDIT: Here you go, look at post #8 (although that looks better than the LITs I tried). Page turns are also really slow with LIT IIRC...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57602
Apparently these are the .lit pages I did for Dr Drib. Just to lay everything out...

I don't use .lit's, I went and found a file to show Dr Dr. So I have no experience whether these are "good" or "bad".

I have put .prc (mobipocket) files from here at mobile read and one's I've purchased on the EZ Reader.
I have put a couple of epubs I have gotten from the same places.
Both of these formats are fine. They each of little idiosycracies, such as some epubs keep their wide margins when you zoom in so that the margin is wider than the text. However, a quick convert through Calibre seems to fix that. The .prc's sometimes lock up, but holding the exit button frees it up. The text itself appears just fine on all the zooms that I've seen.

What I routinely use is pdf's that I have made myself from my wordprocessing program. I put in a large font, headers for table of contents, and my own formating of paragraphs. Then I "publish" to pdf. I love having the large type that the zoom will then give me, my links to chapters any anything else I want work great. The only idiosycracy here is that because of the "page" of the pdf's, when the EZ Reader reflows the text, the end of the "page" then goes to a new EZ page, thus for every pdf page, I'll get maybe 3 or 4 EZ Reader pages, then a page with one or two lines. I can live with that. Someday I'll figure out the proper setting in my pdf publishing options to get rid of that. Also, in my pdf's, the 100% page has fomats like centering and indents, but any zoom loses that and puts all lines left justified. Again, I can live with that.

As far as splitting words, maybe one or two for the book, and I can trace those back to my wordprocessor with SoftHyphens.

All in all, I love my EZ Reader, but it's the only reader I've used.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
thadine

My understanding is that the EZReader doesn't support mobipocket (with DRM). Are the .prc files you're using DRM-free mobipocket?

Also, how is it with handling html files? Can it deal with .doc and .rtf?

I know a lot of people are happy with converting their books with Calibre, but I actually hate that program (though I seem to be the only one, so I won't go into that!). Plus, I really dislike having to convert every book I want to read...
Old 10-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #8
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadine View Post
My understanding is that the EZReader doesn't support mobipocket (with DRM). Are the .prc files you're using DRM-free mobipocket?

Also, how is it with handling html files? Can it deal with .doc and .rtf?

I know a lot of people are happy with converting their books with Calibre, but I actually hate that program (though I seem to be the only one, so I won't go into that!). Plus, I really dislike having to convert every book I want to read...
All my files are DRM-free. That's why I used the term .prc versus Mobipocket. What DRM books I buy, and that is very few, I make them DRM-free immediately.

Though the EZ Reader does handle Html, it is not great. I tried a few when I first got mine.

Here are some notes I made on these format from my original evaluation of the EZ Reader:

.DOC
Menu:
1. Go to first page
2. Go to last page
3. Go to page
4. Go to Catalog
5. English speaking
6. About..

Keys:
Bottom bar with bookmarks, page no/total pages, battery icon remains on page
1-5 set/clear/go to bookmarks
6 sets bookmarks, HOLD for list
7 no function
8 three zooms, with last going landscape

TXT
Menu:
1. Go to first page
2. Go to last page
3. Go to page
4. English speaking
5. About..

Keys:
1-5 sets/resets/go to bookmark
6 sets next bookmark, Hold for list
7 no function
8. 3 zooms with 3rd one in landscape

Has bottom bar with "page no/total pages, battery icon

no indents, no para spacing

HTML

Menu:
1. Go to first page
2. Go to last page
3. Go to page
4. English speaking
5. About..
Keys:
Bottom bar remains on screen, bookmarks, page no/total pages, battery icon
1-5 set/clear/go to book marks
6 sets next bookmark, Hold give list
7 no function
8 zoom, three levels, last one is landscaped

RTF

Menu:
1. Go to first page
2. Go to last page
3. Go to page
4. Go to Catalog
5. English speaking
6. About..
Keys:
bottom bar remains on screen, bookmark, page no/total pages/ battery icon
1-5 set/clear/go to bookmark
6 sets next bookmark
7 no function
8 sometimes froze screen, but also rotates between portrait/landscape, no zoom
IN LANDSCAPE MODE THE FORWARD BACKWARD BUTTONS (9, 0) ARE REVERSED, TRIED THIS WITH LEFT SIDE BUTTONS AND SCREEN FROZE.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #9
thadine

Wow, thanks a lot for the detailed list
Old 10-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur
UchihaNaru is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
I think that while it states that it supports a lot of formats.. some formats just don't work..

Luckily I only read .txt and it works perfectly =D
UchihaNaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
For me there were/are a ton of little annoyances which led to my returning the first one but then purchasing a second one.

The menu font size is entirely too small.

The buttons don't always work (you have to press twice very often which leads to mistrust and to clicking when you don't want to -- a very uneasy feeling)

The light in the upper left is useless -- the colors and display do not match the descriptions in the very sketchy manual.

The software upgrade flash is unintuitive and does not follow the directions as stated.

The screen (which is the same on all the 5" eink readers) is dimmer (contrast-wise) than the 505 or the Kindle (both 6" screens) - but is exactly the same as the Sony 300.

The navigation and UI are non-intuitive (as compared to Sony and Kindle)

on the positive side, it does have folder support which Sony and Kindle do not have. It supports more formats.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The buttons don't always work (you have to press twice very often which leads to mistrust and to clicking when you don't want to -- a very uneasy feeling)
Regarding the lack of responsiveness of the buttons, I have found on mine that if I very deliberately press the buttons then they will respond. It's if I'm in a hurry and don't take the time to make sure to depress and release that they don't work. A little thing, but I've gotten used to it and it's become second nature. It was a bit annoying until I figured it out, though.
Jane A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by UchihaNaru View Post
I think that while it states that it supports a lot of formats.. some formats just don't work..

Luckily I only read .txt and it works perfectly =D
I have tried all the formats and they all work. Some are more robust than others and the features are different but they all will work at some level. What format did you test that did not work? Did you test it with more than one eBook?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane A View Post
Regarding the lack of responsiveness of the buttons, I have found on mine that if I very deliberately press the buttons then they will respond. It's if I'm in a hurry and don't take the time to make sure to depress and release that they don't work. A little thing, but I've gotten used to it and it's become second nature. It was a bit annoying until I figured it out, though.

True and I have seen this happen on occasion on my Sony's and Kindle2 as well, but not nearly as often as on the Astak.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I have seen this also.
I found if I powered the PEz "Off" and rebooted, it clears that issue up.

Quote:
The light in the upper left is useless -- the colors and display do not match the descriptions in the very sketchy manual.
Agree, because changing your viewing angle, changes the color you see (when charging) Red, Orange or Green depending on angle.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote