Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
astrid0005
astrid0005 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cyboon Gen 3
Cybook Gen 3 Freezing Problems (Build 923 version 1.4)

I just got my Cybook and I've had to reset the device 5 times in 3 days. The first three times the device became unresponsive after five or more hours of reading (even though I switched it off for a minute a couple of times during this period). The last two resets were done in a span of less than 2 hours. I've tried everything: changed all my files to mobi; got rid of the pre-installed fonts and used one I downloaded; uploaded my content from both mac and pc; and checked to make sure the device was 100% charged. I contacted Bookeen and they told me to reformat the device. I did and followed all the precautions listed earlier. If anything, it's worse since like I mentioned earlier the last 2 resets had to be done in less than two hours. I emailed Bookeen again and have received no response. Could it be that the machine is not made for extended periods of reading? Has anyone else encountered this problem in the lastest batch of Cybooks?
astrid0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:14 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Do you have an SD Card in the CyBook? Did you reformat that as well?

It has been reported in the past that a corrupt SD Card can cause problems.

If you don't have an SD Card, it sounds like it might be a fault. My CyBook runs for months without crashing. Indeed, I can't remember the last time it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrid0005 View Post
I just got my Cybook and I've had to reset the device 5 times in 3 days. The first three times the device became unresponsive after five or more hours of reading (even though I switched it off for a minute a couple of times during this period). The last two resets were done in a span of less than 2 hours. I've tried everything: changed all my files to mobi; got rid of the pre-installed fonts and used one I downloaded; uploaded my content from both mac and pc; and checked to make sure the device was 100% charged. I contacted Bookeen and they told me to reformat the device. I did and followed all the precautions listed earlier. If anything, it's worse since like I mentioned earlier the last 2 resets had to be done in less than two hours. I emailed Bookeen again and have received no response. Could it be that the machine is not made for extended periods of reading? Has anyone else encountered this problem in the lastest batch of Cybooks?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I emailed Bookeen again and have received no response. Could it be that the machine is not made for extended periods of reading? Has anyone else encountered this problem in the lastest batch of Cybooks?
I read all the time and the last 'crash' I had was because the battery was flat. Extended reading is no problem. I had forgotten to charge it because the battery last so long.
When you say you upload files from the PC and the Mac I grew suspicious. Within the Apple world everything woks fine but Macs don't play very well with the rest of the world. It can be that the combination is the problem.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
astrid0005

no sd card. I've contacted Bookeen three times. They told me to reformat the first time, they ignored my second email, and now I'm waiting a reply on my third
Old 08-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
astrid0005

and I also thought it might be a mac problem so after uploading all the files through my mac, I deleted them all and used a pc to reformat as well as upload files. Same problem. I really don't know what else to try.
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
no sd card. I've contacted Bookeen three times. They told me to reformat the first time, they ignored my second email, and now I'm waiting a reply on my third
It does sound like a dodgy CyBook. Just to double-check: by "crash" you mean that it resets itself back through the start-up screens and ends up on the library page?

If by "crash" you mean it stops responding to button presses, that might just be the battery running down.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
astrid0005

by crash I mean two things that have happened: the most common one is when I try turning a page the device wont respond and the led light won't blink. It's like the device is dead though I can still see the page I was reading. Once, when I turned a page the second screen when starting up (the one with the small cybook image and three dots preceding it) appeard and started flashing. It didn't respond to any buttons and I had to reset again. The battery says 90% charged.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
It's like the device is dead though I can still see the page I was reading.
That is normal for eInk. That will even happen when you take out the battery. The screen doesn't need any power to display. Only to change.

If the battery indicator says 90% that isn't your problem. Sometimes people run into this type of problem when the indicators shows less than 30% because it is not very accurate the first few charge cycles.

Bookeen can be slow in responding in August. Almost all of France goes on vacation then. For France that is not a problem. The customers are also away. But it can be a nuicance when you live somewere else.

I had a problem with my Cybook almost a while ago and they replaced it within 5 days. That won't solve your problem of course, but they do exist and they do handle warranty cases.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:49 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
If your books are based on HTML code that is not strictly correct you can get these kind of problems.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Mine's (my 3rd, new one) is doing that a lot since I got it (back?). I just keep a kirby grip in the case and do a soft reset. It's frustrating, but there's NO WAY I'm acknowledging it as a technical fault or sending the device back (even if it is!!!).
However if there's a firmware/software/settings solution that'll resolve it, that'd be great.
I don't think it's a problem with my SD card coz I totally reformatted it before I put it in the Cybook and it wasn't an issue I had before, only ever infrequently.
No HTML books, I'm reading books I bought from a legitimate retailer. I wondered if it was because I was operating from 'Folder View', which I've never done before?
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
You have folder view? Which version of the firmware do you have? When did you bought your third cybook?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

It's Build 923 version 1.4 according to my 'About'.
And I definitely haven't bought 3 Cybooks, the shortened version of the saga is that mine broke and the one they sent me was also broke so they sent me another replacement , so I'm technically on my 3rd device LOL
Old 08-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #13
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
It's Build 923 version 1.4 according to my 'About'.
And I definitely haven't bought 3 Cybooks, the shortened version of the saga is that mine broke and the one they sent me was also broke so they sent me another replacement , so I'm technically on my 3rd device LOL
Yes, excellent... they're updating devices at the french meetup, they're selling devices with the new firmware, they're even making replacements with the new firmware...

What they're NOT doing is, releasing that d*mn thing to the public!!!

Sorry, but this is driving me nuts... I'm not that interested in the new features it provides (just bug-fixing and better performance), but the situation and like Bookeen handles it is simply unacceptable.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
Mindy
Away with the Faeries

I didn't realise - I just assumed I'd missed it during my extended downtime!
That would explain why they were so sure I had the latest firmware when I was having problems on the last one then!

Tags
bookeen, cybook gen3, freezing, issues