Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-12-2009, 05:25 AM   #16
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I agree with it. I have Asus 10' Netbook and Sony Reader and I never used netbook as eBook reader because I can't read from LCD screen more than 20 minutes.
Ditto. Only edited it a bit.

I also know for a fact that many people who have no idea about ebook readers/eInk screens, thus are not eInk biased, say the same:
Quote:
I can't read from LCD screen more than 20 minutes
They say they will either buy a book or print it out.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #17
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
The vast majority of people I know carry along at least one mobile phone. Even the simplest models - the ones that are a little bit smaller than a brick, the ones still using small black and white old fashioned LCD screen - feature a clock display.
You would have to look very hard for a mobile phone that does not have Time display of one sort or other.

How many people that you know do not wear a watch because they they have time display on their phone? I know one such person.

I do not think that there was significant drop in watch production in recent years.

It is the same with dedicated e-book reading devices. Just ask here if you find an owner of an e-book reading device that does not own at least one PC or notebook, or netbook, or pda, or smartphone or a combination of them.

I own 9 computers that can be used to read books, yet the vast majority of my reading gets done on my trusty Sony Reader PRS-500.

Last edited by kacir; 07-12-2009 at 06:02 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
How many people that you know do not wear a watch because they they have time display on their phone? I know one such person.
I use my mobile phone as an alarm clock when I go away, so it's certainly cost someone the sale of a travel alarm clock in my case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #19
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
I believe that netbooks COULD kill off ereaders when the eink tech is one option on the netbook, they are in the pipeline, and should be coming out within year or so. So you can then switch it to eink or lcd regular mode, and get good battery life in eink mode. and when they can have swivel screen, when in eink mode screen on top, then swivel screen and open and switch to regular computer lcd backlight mode for movie mode.

At this point I do have netbook and prs-505 and I like the 505 because it's small, can put in my pocket, start-up time is 1/2 second.

Last night in town, outside of nightclub , they had bench with street lamp right behind it, opened the 505 and set it to Biggest font size and had no trouble reading. I was surprised I can read this at night as long as street lights are around.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #20
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
I think the bigger question is WHEN are we going to get serious about our environment and move towards digital media of all kinds? We over-wrap our hamburgers, our toys, our groceries. We throw away TONS and TONS of just overkill packaging every day.

This spills right over into the print world. Any idea how many magazines wind up in the landfill? I would guess 90% of them. And print books......... once you read them how many get read again vs how many sit on a shelf or just get tossed.

ANY move towards digital media is a good one, be it a tablet PC, or an E-reader!

As to an answer to the question. While I lean towards a note/netbook, I dont think they will completely replace the ebook at all. I do think you will see E-readers get more netbook features, making them appeal to the puter-nerds in us.

Last edited by chaznsc; 07-12-2009 at 09:03 AM.
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #21
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
Quote:

Its NICE to meet you......now you know two
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #22
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaznsc View Post
Its NICE to meet you......now you know two
I'm waiting for the dick tracy WATch for 2010! So my watch can do it all! It is practically here.

Putting more features in all this stuff is cool, so, if netbook or phone or "eye-glasses that have built in eink tech can come out , I'm all for it. But for today, the prs-505 is fine for me and I love dreaming of the future too. Just like a kid. Most of the stuff I dreamed about as a kid , has come true. Except for the part where I'm a billionaire and have a mansion full of playgirl bunnies running around the house!
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #23
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I need to jump in here because I just bought a netbook...10 inch Acer refurb. So excited! Just waiting for it to come in. I'm going to try and put Sony library on it
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #24
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I confess that I'm one of those persons. It has also replaced my MP3 player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richman View Post
I believe that netbooks COULD kill off ereaders when the eink tech is one option on the netbook, they are in the pipeline, and should be coming out within year or so. So you can then switch it to eink or lcd regular mode, and get good battery life in eink mode. and when they can have swivel screen, when in eink mode screen on top, then swivel screen and open and switch to regular computer lcd backlight mode for movie mode.
There is no, nor will there ever be a screen that can be both LCD and eInk. The two technologies are physically too different. Now there is the Pixel QI technology, which allows you to have both a reflective LCD and a backlit one at the flip of a switch. Those dodos at Engadget have created a lot of confusion here... since until very recently they referred to any reflective display as "eInk", even when it clearly wasn't.

Anyways, though the Pixel QI screens seem to be a massive improvement, even their spokesperson admits that eInk still has better contrast and lower power consumption.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #25
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:

I neither own a watch or a mobile phone I don't know where that puts me.

EDIT: correction I own both watches and mobile phones - I don't USE either
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #26
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I neither own a watch or a mobile phone I don't know where that puts me.
Are you amish?
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #27
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
Are you amish?
See above correction But seriously I hate mobile phones with a passion, and I can't stand to know the time - so much stress is merely due to the watching of clocks. I have an alarm clock. It goes off once a day. After that it gets placed in a drawer where it cannot be seen. On any computer I have I endeavour to remove the clock as a course of first action
Old 07-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #28
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
That's a hard one to say. Dedicated readers often have the advantage of smaller size, lighter weight, and much longer battery life. That latter is a real advantage. the T91 will weight at least a kilo and have maybe 6 hours battery charge, compared to say 1/3 kilo and 20 books per battery charge for a dedicated liseuse.

Also, dedicated e-readers don't have to boot up, which is a major plus in my view.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #29
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Also, dedicated e-readers don't have to boot up, which is a major plus in my view.

If Crunchpad and Chrome OS take a footing this/next year that won't be a problem. They're both rumoured to boot as quick as you would boot into a bios screen, and use the web browser as the OS (something I'm very excited about) and the cloud for all storage:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/03...nch-prototype/

Everything is moving so rapidly I just can't shake the feeling that a year from now there'll be technology available that I haven't even imagined yet (which is a good thing). I know for sure that I'm excited about moving away from the old paradigms of traditional computing and into the cloud-centered/web browsing computing era.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:15 AM   #30
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Now Kris, you know that's not so! Your jetBook has an LCD screen, and I know from experience that it's great! Better than eInk in fact. It's just not backlit.
Yes, jetBook screen is special and better than eInk
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote