Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
hanasea
Enthusiast
hanasea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch
Wink SF/Fantasy recommendation wanted.

Deathworld and Planet of the Damned

Can you recommend something that I would like to enjoy?
The book should so good - so I feel like I become a friend with hero/heroine?

Right now, I'm stuck on Twillight series and Miles Series
Reading again and again
I would love to hear about more books.

I have kindle, and have 50$ left gift balance- so something availabe on kindle will be good for me.
Also I have 30$ Micro? something in my fictionwise account, but can't find how to use them. I guess I need to apply a credit card for using them, right?

Something long with long series will be great, but I love short stories as well.

* something I enjoyed in English

Miles Vorcasigan Series
Sharing Knife Series
Curse of Shalion series.
- Lois McMaster Bujold

The deed of Paksenarion
- Elizabeth Moon

Jumper 1, 2
-Steven Gould(is it right?)

Anne of Green Gables and other Anne series,
-Lucy Mead Montgomary.

* Something I enjoyed in Korean-translate version

Friday- Heinlein
Including Paycheck, every short episode of Phillip Dick's thing.
The speed of dark - Elizabeth Moon
First half of Anne Rice's Vampire series
Trillight
Dragon lance series (it's too much but I read only one- and I have no idea what I read is which one. so long time ago)
Every robot series and The Foundation of Issac Ismov
all of Rama Series
Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy

Connie Willis' Everything =D Dog speaking something and totally love- Doomsday book. cried.

* Something I think cool but I didn't enjoyed

The dragonriders of Pern (I totally fall in love with review and bought this .. but i didn't like it.)
last half of Anne Rice's Vampire series
The Conetticut yankee of King Arthur...s something. I'm not sure about conetticut's spell.
Princess of Mars's series.
Tarzan series.
Jonathan Stridell?' and Norell something. I just couldn't stick on this.
The Hitchhiker? of Galaxy ... bought everything but enjoyed only first one. and couldn't understand most of Jokes...

I love Urshula K. Reguin in Korean, but her novel is very hard to understand for me with English, I gave up her books..
I love Roger Zelazny and read everything in Korea, but can't focus on his English..too difficult for me too hard to follow.

Since English is not my primary language, and most of the writer's name is from my memory and Korean-translate version of my books so there will be many mistakes but I hope nobody angry for me!

Since Sci/fi and fantasy is not common genre in Korea, not much translation here, so I need to improve my English to understand more sci/fi

Thanks!!
hanasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'd suggest trying the following two books, each the start of a long series, and available for free.

1632 by Eric Flint
http://www.webscription.net/p-379-1632.aspx

On Basilisk Station by David Weber
http://www.webscription.net/p-304-on...k-station.aspx

The 1632 series follows a lot of charcaters, although the first book concentrates on a few you become involved with.

On Basilisk Station is the first in the Honor Harrington series, which does follow a single character most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanasea View Post
Deathworld and Planet of the Damned

Can you recommend something that I would like to enjoy?
The book should so good - so I feel like I become a friend with hero/heroine?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I would reccomend the Daniel Leary Series from David Drake. They're mostly available free from the publisher Baen. Here's the first couple to take a look at:

With the Lightnings
http://www.webscription.net/p-469-wi...ightnings.aspx

Lt. Leary, Commanding
http://www.webscription.net/p-258-lt...ommanding.aspx

And really, just check out what Baen offers for free on the webscription site. www.webscription.net These are great books by recognized sci-fi and and Fantasy authors, and are actually for sale on some ebook sites. Baen just takes an open minded approach and figures if they can lure you in with their older titles for free, you'll buy their newer titles as they come out. In other words, don't let the price effect your view of the quality.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
nascarrunner71
nascarrunner71 began at the beginning.

Device: K1, K2, DX, iPad
If you like the Twilight series, then may the original Bram Stoker's Dracula? I'm reading it now and it's free over at Amazon and Gutenberg.
nascarrunner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Drackula is also free here on MR. I converted it/posted it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
I see you liked Harry Harrison's Deathworld and Planet of the Damned. You can buy five of his books (including Planet of the Damned) in one single anthology for the kindle here.

He also wrote two sequels to Deathworld, which were great fun and should be available too.

Good luck!
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Get the "Red Mars" from Amazon while it's free. It's the start of a four-volume series and a terrific book. Save your real money for later volumes of whatever series you enjoy the most.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
David J. Guyton
Connoisseur
David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Some popular vampire reads besides Twilight. This is book one of her series.

David J. Guyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Go to the Baen website and click on Sharon Lee and download the first of the Liaden books, which is Agent of Change. Looking at the books you've really liked, I'll bet you'll really like those books, too, and will read them over and over. And there are a lot of novels in the series, which you'll be thankful for.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I see you have already enjoyed Heinlein's (Robert Anson Heinlein - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Heinlein) Friday.

Keep on him, you will not regret.

Good reading,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I've been reading S.L. Viehl's Stardoc series and it might fit your bill. The English she uses is not complex while still telling entertaining tales of wonder. I can't say I completely see through the heroine's eyes, an interstellar trauma surgeon, but I like her.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Try this for reading recommendations: http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/books/search

And I just learned a few days ago how to spend that big micropay balance. You go to your settings and select for it to spend micropay first. Then it goes throught the checkout process and I didn't see a difference, seemed like it was coming from credit card. However, the receipt showed a micropayment and my remaining total micropay balance.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN View Post
Get the "Red Mars" from Amazon while it's free. It's the start of a four-volume series and a terrific book. Save your real money for later volumes of whatever series you enjoy the most.
It's a trilogy I believe, but definitely get Red Mars from Amazon while it's free.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I've also liked Steven Gould's Jumper very much. What can you recommend me in this vein?

Last edited by Dave Berk; 03-30-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooon69 View Post
It's a trilogy I believe, but definitely get Red Mars from Amazon while it's free.
It is a 4 book series, but the "last" book The Martians contains a bunch of stories from the whole timeline.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote