Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
DRMed music buyers get screwed yet again

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-drm-keys.html

yes, it's music not books - nevertheless...

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
DRMed music buyers get screwed yet again

Ars Technica has an article about the latest screwing that buyers of DRMed music are getting:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-drm-keys.html

The article begins:
Quote:
Customers who have purchased music from Microsoft's now-defunct MSN Music store are now facing a decision they never anticipated making: commit to which computers (and OS) they want to authorize forever, or give up access to the music they paid for. Why? Because Microsoft has decided that it's done supporting the service and will be turning off the MSN Music license servers by the end of this summer.
Another example of take the money and run -- and yet more justification for not buying DRMed e-books.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is not exactly new news - it was announced - I dunno - a couple of years ago? - that the Zune music service would be replacing MSN. Nobody's exactly been "rushed" into a decision about it .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm so glad I never was sucked into iTunes, MSN Music Store or any of the other DRMed MP3 shops.

How difficult or expensive would it be for MSN to maintain a database of purchasers with license numbers? You'd have a small but loyal fan base for doing this. Good will can go a long way to increasing a company's credibility. Especially Microsoft's.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why do we have to have DRM that relies on our computer hardware & current OS to work such that if we were to upgrade any of it, we'd be well and truly screwed?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why do we have to have DRM that relies on our computer hardware & current OS to work such that if we were to upgrade any of it, we'd be well and truly screwed?
Like , as happens now , with your purchased copy of XP - for instance - though I believe a 'phone call could sort that out .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Like , as happens now , with your purchased copy of XP - for instance - though I believe a 'phone call could sort that out .....
Let's say you purchase another computer. You install Mobipocket Reader on it. You have eBooks in Mobipocket format that were purchased from PaperbackDigital (now out of business so you cannot redownload with a new PID). They have DRM. How can you setup Mobipocket Reader on the new computer so it has the same PID as the previous computer? Without the same PID, you cannot read any of them on that computer.

The average person won't know about breaking DRM. They'll just know that their previously purchased content no longer works. That is a major strike against eBooks for sure.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Let's say you purchase another computer. You install Mobipocket Reader on it. You have eBooks in Mobipocket format that were purchased from PaperbackDigital (now out of business so you cannot redownload with a new PID). They have DRM. How can you setup Mobipocket Reader on the new computer so it has the same PID as the previous computer? Without the same PID, you cannot read any of them on that computer.

The average person won't know about breaking DRM. They'll just know that their previously purchased content no longer works. That is a major strike against eBooks for sure.
Yes - I know - that's my only worry with e-reading on the Cybook .

When my current reader goes west in 10 years time ( ! ) I'll have a library that I can't access ' cause I doubt Fictionwise etc will keep my downloads for that length of time in case I need to re-adjust for a change of PID .
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Yes - I know - that's my only worry with e-reading on the Cybook .

When my current reader goes west in 10 years time ( ! ) I'll have a library that I can't access ' cause I doubt Fictionwise etc will keep my downloads for that length of time in case I need to re-adjust for a change of PID .
They don't keep you downloads per se, they just reallow the download anytime you need it. There is no reason to believe Fictionwise will lose the list of books you own.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I'm with Dale on this one. Of all the ebook companies that I have delt with, Fictionwise seems the most serious and business like of the group. I expect that they will be around for a good while.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #11
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I'm with Dale on this one. Of all the ebook companies that I have delt with, Fictionwise seems the most serious and business like of the group. I expect that they will be around for a good while.
I've no doubt they - will - next question will DRM still be around in the long term ?
or son of ?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I've no doubt they - will - next question will DRM still be around in the long term ?
No, though we may well have some form of social DRM. I think that the trend in music sales will hold for ebooks as well.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
No, though we may well have some form of social DRM. I think that the trend in music sales will hold for ebooks as well.
I suspect that DRM will still be around for as long as you own the books it was purchased with. As to new purchases that may be a different question.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I think BooksOnBoard is also a good place to do business with.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I think BooksOnBoard is also a good place to do business with.
I agree.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote