Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote Notification

I apologize if this has been suggested before but I think it would be nice if a 'quote notification' option was added. Basically, when someone quotes you in a thread, you automatically get a notification and when you click on the notification you get directed to the thread and specifically to the post. It gets difficult to keep track of whether someone has quoted my posts and I think this would be very useful. I was wondering, would it be possible to implement this?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Just to understand you correctly: There is already an option to automatically subscribe to the threads that one posts to. Whenever there is a new reply to these threads one will get an email notification. As you will be notified always - whether it is a reply to your post or to any other post - I guess this is too much information and you wish for a more restricted version of notifications?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote Notification

I understand. But this option sends an email every time someone posts on the thread. What I had in mind was a notification when someone quotes my posts.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If it were possible to implement it, it wouldn't work in all cases.

This is a quote from your post, it could, potentially, trigger a notification, because the code includes information about the source:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
What I had in mind was a notification when someone quotes my posts.
code:
[QUOTE=Gazella;2568668]What I had in mind was a notification when someone quotes my posts.[/QUOTE]

This is the same as above, but there's no way for the forum software to know it's a quote from your post:

Quote:
What I had in mind was a notification when someone quotes my posts.
code:
[QUOTE]What I had in mind was a notification when someone quotes my posts.[/QUOTE]
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
If it could be made to work, I wouldn't want it. It's hard enough some days just keeping up with all the replies in the "New Subscribed Threads" list on my User CP page. Since the forum software already automatically subscribes us to each new thread we comment in, and automatically sends a notification to our User CP page every time a new post is added to a thread in which we have posted, think of how unwieldy that page would quickly become if it also listed each and every instance of a personal reply to one of our posts?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I don't believe this is what the original poster wanted. He/She was just asking for a filter that would send email to the user if someone quoted something they said. I do not believe they wanted a second entry in the list of posts that show up in User CP.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If it could be made to work, I wouldn't want it. It's hard enough some days just keeping up with all the replies in the "New Subscribed Threads" list on my User CP page. Since the forum software already automatically subscribes us to each new thread we comment in, and automatically sends a notification to our User CP page every time a new post is added to a thread in which we have posted, think of how unwieldy that page would quickly become if it also listed each and every instance of a personal reply to one of our posts?
You do know you can turn off the automatic subscription thing and choose which threads to subscribe to right? It's the first thing I do when joining any forum.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I understand. But this option sends an email every time someone posts on the thread. What I had in mind was a notification when someone quotes my posts.
Either you are interested in the topic or not. That's the way it works. It would be silly and self-centered and just plain weird to do what you are asking.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #9
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Either you are interested in the topic or not. That's the way it works. It would be silly and self-centered and just plain weird to do what you are asking.
Another forum I frequent just installed this option. You also get a notification for being mention (@kennyc). I'm sure they're not the only forum either.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:06 AM   #10
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
And you would miss a lot of my posts! Maybe you would see this as another advantage of such a feature but what I wanted to say is that I (and maybe others???) normally try to avoid quotes and only quote if absolutely necessary to understand what I am referring to. It is sometimes very difficult to wade through a post with meters of quotations, especially when you are on a small screen.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:12 AM   #11
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I don't believe this is what the original poster wanted. He/She was just asking for a filter that would send email to the user if someone quoted something they said. I do not believe they wanted a second entry in the list of posts that show up in User CP.
Not even email, just a notification via PM
Old 07-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #12
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Self-centred? I'm not even going to waste my time. You're just completely and utterly rude.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Quote:
Not even email, just a notification via PM
I see. Seems even more of a nightmare scenario to me; one of those of the "careful what you wish for" variety. Nonetheless, I could ask Alex if it's possible with the software we're using and if so how difficult it would be to implement if enough people are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You do know you can turn off the automatic subscription thing and choose which threads to subscribe to right? It's the first thing I do when joining any forum.
Oh yes, but I find auto subscribe useful, although I do have my options set to no email notification. That being said, I unsubscribe to particular threads all the time.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Getting notified about a @mention isn't about "me me me" it's about knowing when someone replied to you.

And, I think the new software that is coming to a forum near you does use this notation. I also assume you will be able to specify what level of notifications you want as well.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote notification and @tagging... we'll have it all. Soon.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote