Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #286
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad View Post
Hi DaleDe,

I've had a play in the code and tried building the batch file using unicode. The text appears correctly in the command prompt now if you do a 'type' command on the file, but when you execute the batch file it outputs corrupted symbols. I've done quite a bit of googling and can't seem to find a definative answer to supporting special characters in the CMD process. I may need to nest a seperate command call as you can flag unicode output. Any ideas anyone.
I do not believe there is any support for unicode in the CMD process. Certain commands may support it but the shell processing it very likely to fail. The symbols are not exactly corrupted but rather are being reported on byte at a time as would be expected by a process that does not understand unicode. I suspect this is not a solvable problem with the current shell.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #287
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3
Thanks for the info Dale. I think if I'm going to support special characters then it will need to be done on the Windows GUI side which supports them correctly. Hmm. Time to review the code.

Vito it looks like you will need to wait a little longer for a solution. I'll need to modify my code to create a working file on open and then do the parsing with Mobi2Mobi on that and then at the end rename it back to whatever it was before but via Windows as opposed to the command process which doesn't support the special characters.
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #288
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Wow...I followed...some of that.
Thanks again Jad for all your hard work. It's easy to remove the apostrophe from the filename. Just wanted to let you know about it. I actually look more forward to the TAB order fix, LOL!
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #289
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

v0.07 of Mobi2MobiGUI released.

Fixed TAB order in the GUI. Thanks to Vito for pointing out that I hadn't done this after the C# conversion.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mobi2Mobi_GUI_VB_v7.zip (50.5 KB, 585 views)
Old 09-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #290
olaf
Enthusiast
olaf is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
Jad - your program is really fantastic and has helped me fix several author and title listings for my Kindle - thank you!. Is there any chance the program could be updated to handle the Metadata in Topaz-formatted books (.AZW1 file extension)? I'm finding that a lot of the Kindle author-name-errors are from books in that format for some reason.
olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #291
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Thanks Jad! Tab order works Great!
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #292
olaf
Enthusiast
olaf is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
Jad - new minor suggestion. I changed some source code to resize the window - the Mobi2Mobi window was just bigger than the height of my screen. Having a minimize button helps too, but I changed the height to 720 (adjusting picture frames) and centered it - that should nicely fit in all but the most restrictive resolutions. I can do simple things like that, but wouldn't want to miss out on other terrific fixes because I use an older modified resized version!
olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #293
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf View Post
Jad - your program is really fantastic and has helped me fix several author and title listings for my Kindle - thank you!. Is there any chance the program could be updated to handle the Metadata in Topaz-formatted books (.AZW1 file extension)? I'm finding that a lot of the Kindle author-name-errors are from books in that format for some reason.
It uses MobiPerl to change the metadata. If somebody write a program that can change metadata in topaz files I am sure it is easy to plug that into the GUI.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #294
GrimmReaper
GrimmReaper began at the beginning.

Device: All readers on desktop/HP iPAQ, Bookshelf on iPhone, iPad or HP tablet
I recently went from Windows Mobile to iPhone (wife bought them). I can no longer use my Mobi PRC files on the go. Will this tool help get them to PDB (eReader) format somehow? I have been searching for something to help me convert. I found something that has helped me convert most of my LIT to PDB; although some are not converting for some reason (no errors when opening and reading in MS Reader).

Any help would be great.
GrimmReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #295
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmReaper View Post
I recently went from Windows Mobile to iPhone (wife bought them). I can no longer use my Mobi PRC files on the go. Will this tool help get them to PDB (eReader) format somehow? I have been searching for something to help me convert. I found something that has helped me convert most of my LIT to PDB; although some are not converting for some reason (no errors when opening and reading in MS Reader).

Any help would be great.
Well, you can always unpack a mobi file to html and use some other program to convert to eReader format.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #296
Bandy78
Bandy78 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi.New here.Got some problems:i am using windows xp with sp 2 and have .net 3.5 sp1. so. i tried to use mobi2mobi gui (older and newer versions) but it wont open my books . correction:i can open some books but the most of them dont. i keep geting an error message just like the guy from the first page(jbenny) could u pl help me?
i installed the activePerl too but nothing helps..
Bandy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #297
Jad
Groupie

It looks like the evil .NET has struck again. Unfortunately there is a small group of people whose .NET installs just refuse to play nice with the GUI. I actually migrated the code base from C# to VB to eliminate alot of the problems people were having. I'm sorry to all those who are having continuing issues. The one suggestion I can make is to make sure that your .NET 2.0 install has been updated to at least SP1. I know that 3.5 is out but all the other versions get patched independantly by MS. Check under Add Programs in your Control Panel to see what version it has for .NET 2.

The other problem people encounter is special characters in the filename such as " ` ". Depending on how these are named originally some are supported in a DOS environment and others aren't and corrupt the process batch files. The GUI is just a fancy frontend that creates and executes batch files, if something isn't supported in a DOS Prompt the process won't work.

The source code is available for those brave souls who wish to delve into my undocumented and adhoc method of programming and this may help you track down your specific issue as you can use the debugger to see where things crash.

If you are getting sporadic it works on some books and not others, could you please post the full filename as I can check at my end if its a special character issue.

Sorry I can't be more help but I'll try to sort out your issues as far as I can test them.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #298
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Hi,

This looks great so far, and first I just wanted to thank you for what must have been a lot of very hard work.

I was wondering though if there will ever be a Mac version of this Gui?
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #299
Bandy78
Bandy78 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you Jad. It was the " ' " sign ! I am a hungarian reader and we use a lot of ÖÜÓŰÚŐÁÉ . THANK U!
Bandy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #300
Jad
Groupie

Glad you got it working Bandy78. Poor old DOS has a real hard time with some characters.

Anarel good old MS don't have VB .NET for the MAC so unfortunately unless you want to try and get this working under WINE or a VMWare appliance you will have to code up a solution on a MAC supported programming language like Realbasic. The source code to the GUI is available so any budding MAC programmers can use that as a starting point. Alternatively you could take Tompe's actual code and build it into a fully self contained app, that would be really cool.

Tags
mobi2mobi