Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #16
euphy
euphy doesn't littereuphy doesn't litter

Device: kobo mini
Three ports is gilding the lily. I wonder if the other two are connected to sub-systems, or if they can be enabled as other serial devices? Kevin, right, glad it worked - did you just tape the connectors in place? Katch, I don't see any reason why that BT board wouldn't work - the serial ports do supply 3.3v as well so it'd fit right in. I'm a bit confused about how pairing works with devices that don't have interfaces, but I guess it must work somehow cos all the cool kids are doing it. I think there'd be enough room too, that's only a thin board. Certainly on the mini, the inner plastic shell would need to be cut away, but I reckon the snap-on outer cover would be ok.
euphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
So far I've just placed the connectors into the port in such a way that they stay put by themselves as long as I don't bump them. I have no idea what the three ports are for, I still haven't been able to get anything from J1 or J2, but I really don't know anything about how serial ports work.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
Katch
Katch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphy View Post
I'm a bit confused about how pairing works with devices that don't have interfaces,
A pass code is set in eeprom on the BT serial device (usually 0000 or 1234) - this can be changed by issuing AT commands.

When it powers up it is immediately visible to other BT devices - once paired you'll have a new com port appear in device manager and then you just connect a terminal application to it as normal.

Best bet would be to solder some fine wires to the serial port and the BT module and install a small switch in the back plastic on the Vcc line.

The module is small enough to completely fit inside the plastics.
Katch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
roberto85
roberto85 began at the beginning.

Device: none
@euphy: I think the D and Q numbers are the LEDs row and column numbers in the infrared display as these LEDs form the matrix of the lights and when we touch the screen the output on the corresponding LEDs associated with those co-ordinate decreases which helps to identify the touch point on the screen and to know more about the these numbers you should look at the datasheet of the device.

turn-key assembly

Last edited by roberto85; 10-17-2013 at 12:28 PM.
roberto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
Hekto
Hekto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Bluetooth on Kobo

Hi,

I (and several other pilots) are already using Bluetooth modules in Kobos to connect to NMEA-sources. As you see in the picture, the HC05 module fits in the casing. I added two switches for turning of BT and entering AT-mode. The module can be programmed directly in the Kobo using telnet.

Regards,
Pascal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KobomitBluetoothk.jpg
Views:	2667
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	112903  
Hekto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #21
hijackgmh
hijackgmh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
HC-05 BT and Kobo Mini

Hekto, I want to use my Kobo mini with an HC-05 BT module as a dedicated soaring instrument. I won't use the Kobo for anything else. In that case, do I need the BT on/off switch and/or the VCC switch on my installation?

Mike
hijackgmh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hack, hardware, pcb, serial, teardown