Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #31
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Question to those who ordered one: why did you pick this over the Kobo Mini? The Mini will be $49 at participating indie bookstores until Feb 14, while €49 is closer to $66.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #32
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Am I missing something? Why all the kerfluffle? Why not just a Kobo Mini if you want this kind of thing? I wouldn't. For the times I don't take my T1 with me, I'd be fine reading on my phone. It's never all that long.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #33
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Most gentlemen don't want to have what everybody can have. (It's not available in the U.S. right now.)
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #34
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I didn't buy one, but this is smaller than the Kobo Mini. Also, from what I can see, the Kobo Mini sale discounts it to $60, not $50.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #35
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Question to those who ordered one: why did you pick this over the Kobo Mini? The Mini will be $49 at participating indie bookstores until Feb 14, while €49 is closer to $66.
Slightly smaller and (more importantly to me) seems to have a full file system explorer.

I've already got a Kobo and the firmware is occassionaly a bit flaky, which reminds me, I need to roll it back to 2.1.5 again as it crashed and reloaded the new buggy firmware on reboot.

OK, and new toy
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #36
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Buyers beware, Trekstore devices almost always border on being crap, tried out the 6 inch version and it's really sluggish, no wifi, no notes...
Just get ac ouple of used paperbacks for the beach...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #37
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aaah, OK! I asked because I've been drooling over the Kobo mini since it came out.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #38
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglePig View Post
It's not Android but there is already an eInk mobile phone available.
[http=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Fone]Motorola F3[/http]

I have one and it is, well, interesting to use. :-)

Tra

Piggly...off to order one of these Pyrus Minis!
I had one too, but stopped using it after 2 weeks. I kept having it crash on me. One time, went on a trip to Chicago, from St Louis. I took it off the charger when I left, and 2 hours into the ~5 hour journey, the battery died. A phone battery shouldn't be dead after 2 hours of sitting idle.

It really is only good if you need a basic phone to make phone calls.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #39
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Aaah, OK! I asked because I've been drooling over the Kobo mini since it came out.
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to suggest you don't get the mini, I am still using the Kobo Glo as my main reader at the moment, it's a nice device and I would recommend Kobo readers. They just bring out a buggy firmware every so often - not a huge problem as it's easy enough to manually install an older firmware, just anoying when it happens (It would be nice if you could turn off automatic updates though).
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #40
xendula
eBookworm

MikeB, I am drooling over the sexy design and the size of it, but never intended to buy one myself, precisely because I have heard about the buggy software, and also because it would be easier for me to just remain in the kindle world. If Amazon sold a mini Paperwhite, I would probably buy it.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #41
euro traveler
Connoisseur
euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Nook STR, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini, Nook HD & HD+
What atrracted me to the TrekStor Pyrus Mini was its size. I've been looking for an ereader smaller than my Kobo Mini for when I travel. I bought the Kobo Mini ($50 on sale 2 months back) because it was smaller than my Sony PRS-350.

The lack of wi-fi on the TrekStor Pyrus Mini is fine with me. I always keep wi-fi turned off on my ereaders to avoid automatic updates and save power, and sideload everything. I won't need to take notes on it, or highlight, just have it fit in a shirt/trousers pocket for reading epubs on the go.

I love my new Kobo Mini and it's become my daily reader. The Nook STR was too big and it's being used by a co-worker.

Amazon sent notification that my TrekStor Pyrus Mini was shipped today, 1 Feb., with an expected delivery date of 21 Feb. Shipped vis DHL
No VAT added, so that's why it was cheaper than shown on their site.
euro traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #42
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'm quite happy with my Sony PRS-350 as my secondary reader for taking out and about with me. It's small enough to fit in a jacket pocket, and while the screen is small, it just about isn't too small that you feel you are turning pages all the time. So this would probably just be too small for my liking, but just like when I saw the Kobo Mini, my first thoughts are, oh that looks so tiny & cute.... I want one! (I won't buy it though).

As for the 'Digital Ink' display, so are E-Ink laying claim to being the only company who can provide this kind of display?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #43
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro traveler View Post
What atrracted me to the TrekStor Pyrus Mini was its size. I've been looking for an ereader smaller than my Kobo Mini for when I travel. I bought the Kobo Mini ($50 on sale 2 months back) because it was smaller than my Sony PRS-350.

The lack of wi-fi on the TrekStor Pyrus Mini is fine with me. I always keep wi-fi turned off on my ereaders to avoid automatic updates and save power, and sideload everything. I won't need to take notes on it, or highlight, just have it fit in a shirt/trousers pocket for reading epubs on the go.

I love my new Kobo Mini and it's become my daily reader. The Nook STR was too big and it's being used by a co-worker.

Amazon sent notification that my TrekStor Pyrus Mini was shipped today, 1 Feb., with an expected delivery date of 21 Feb. Shipped vis DHL
No VAT added, so that's why it was cheaper than shown on their site.
I didn't realize it was even smaller - could you post a picture of them side by side when you get it?

Edited to add link to Italian Review- the second picture shows it next to a Samsung phone.

Last edited by xendula; 02-01-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #44
euro traveler
Connoisseur
euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Nook STR, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini, Nook HD & HD+
xendula, thanks for adding that Italian Review link.
If you scroll down to the 6th picture, it shows a Pyrus Mini on top of a
Kobo Mini for a size comparison
euro traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #45
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro traveler View Post
xendula, thanks for adding that Italian Review link.
If you scroll down to the 6th picture, it shows a Pyrus Mini on top of a
Kobo Mini for a size comparison
I hadn't even noticed that was a Kobo Mini underneath...