Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
TheOneTopCat
TheOneTopCat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Question ASUS Transformer TF300T and Calibre on Windows 7 PC

I was quite frankly overjoyed to hear of and install Calibre version 9 (I'm up to 9.2 now) that supports recognition of my ASUS Transformer. Recognizing and transferring books to the device simply and easily -- BUT there's one really really serious flaw, and that is that it took 45 minutes to an hour to read my device each time I connect it (both before starting Calibre on the PC and after having started Calibre.

This really doesn't solve the problem of simply transferring books to my device. It actually made it worse (at least before this I could copy individual books from the Calibre Library on my pc to the tablet using windows explorer.

I've connected my ASUS Transformer TF300T (32 gb internal storage, no sd card installed yet) four times, and each time I could do virtually nothing while Calibre searched my entire device for books. I haven't connected it to the most recent 9.2 version, but will shortly. I do not have the Calibre app installed on my tablet. I certainly don't want to have my entire Calibre Library on my tablet (about 9,000 books), only probably a couple of hundred; those that I really want with me and am planning to read. I've setup the rules in Calibre to identify the directories where I want my three types of books (epub, pdf and mobi); which incidentally when I did this, I needed to restart Calibre which required another hour of searching the tablet after I restarted Calibre :-(

I don't understand why Calibre wouldn't simply use a Calibre catalog on the device after the first searching of the device, or provide a switch to turn off scanning the tablet. There's no way to stop the scan, and I'm very reluctant to simply pull out the USB while the scan is underway; I surely don't want to corrupt the hard drive on my tablet.

Does anyone know of a solution. If not, how and where can I post something for Kovid's attention so he might look into this or provide some insight or ideas. I really love Calibre particularly for the ability to send selected books to the reader of my choice. I also have a Nook touch which works perfectly with Calibre, but since my tablet has a larger screen and is in color, I prefer to do my reading on the tablet.
TheOneTopCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneTopCat View Post
there's one really really serious flaw, and that is that it took 45 minutes to an hour to read my device each time I connect it (both before starting Calibre on the PC and after having started Calibre.
This is a serious flaw. The first time might take a while but after that it should be cached and connection should be relatively fast.

Quote:
I do not have the Calibre app installed on my tablet. I certainly don't want to have my entire Calibre Library on my tablet (about 9,000 books), only probably a couple of hundred; those that I really want with me and am planning to read.
The android Calibre app is not developed by Kovid. There is another App you might consider, Calibre Companion (wireless required). I have 2028 books on my Nexus 7 and it takes about 1 minute and 20 seconds to connect, 200 books should be 1/10 of the time. Check out the link I'm sure you'll agree it is well worth the small fee.

Quote:
I've setup the rules in Calibre to identify the directories where I want my three types of books (epub, pdf and mobi); which incidentally when I did this, I needed to restart Calibre which required another hour of searching the tablet after I restarted Calibre :-(
Have you actually connected your tablet to calibre after a long scan without making changes that required a restart? It should be very quick the second time it is connected, but any time a configuration change necessitates a rescan the full scan will happen.

Quote:
Does anyone know of a solution. If not, how and where can I post something for Kovid's attention so he might look into this or provide some insight or ideas.
This is a fine place to catch Kovid's attention, but as indicated in his I'm Away post he will be away for a week or so.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
TheOneTopCat
TheOneTopCat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
The last time I connected my ASUS TF300T to my pc and ran Calibre on the pc, the job reported 183 minutes running time, and appeared frozen. I shut everything down. I will once more attempt to connect today and hopefully download all the books I want on my ASUS so I don't have to connect again. I hope Kovid looks into this, perhaps a few options to control what directories to read on the device, e.g., only read those directories listed in the rules section of the device configuration menu. That should speed reading the device, plus if a catalog exists on the device Calibre should read the catalog not the device.
TheOneTopCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asus, calibre 9.2, slow scanning, transfering books