Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
Torn- Do I keep it or return it?

I received a Nook HD tablet for Christmas. At first I was thrilled. But upon really looking a their store, I am annoyed by the lack of apps and content for the tablet. Movies that have been out for a long time and are readily available through itunes or amazon are not in their store and my digital copies of several movies that are a format that the book can read won't play on the tablet.

I have about 3 days left for easy return of the tablet. I am debating on whether or not to return it and purchase a Google Nexus or iPad mini or just suck it up and keep it.

The main purpose of the tablet will be for reading scientific journals for work (which work really well on the Nook right now if I sideload them) and reading novels for fun but I also need it to have a few apps that I can use for work such as a notetaker (if I could write with a stylus it would be helpful, typing on tablets is tough) and also I would like to be able to play movies and games on it so that when we travel, my 8 year old has something to do.

I thought Nook would provide all of that but I am not sure. Any thoughts?
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
If you need/want apps and content that you can't get for the Nook tablet, then I don't see how there is any choice but to return it.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you want better content support I wouldn't count on B&N for it. They've had a few years to get their app store in order and it has improved, but not all that much. When I checked the app store for a review after the HD & HD+ came out they had around 7,000 apps IIRC while Amazon had 50,000, Google 600,000 and Apple 700,000. Pretty big difference. Their movie deal still isn't really setup fully and they don't offer music at all. What I told folks in my HD+ review was that if it was for reading you'd likely be quite happy, but if you wanted to take your tablet beyond that you'd be better off with an iPad, Nexus or Fire.

I have an HD+ (same software just bigger hardware) and while I think the screen is gorgeous and like it overall as a reader it sits pretty much unused in favor of my Nexus 7.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote