Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #421
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Ugh! Is the pink really that pink?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the pink. Hubby swears he doesn't see it and thinks it looks great. I still have #1 and #3, but I've returned #2. I'm going to give it a couple of days.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #422
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast
ultimatejimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (coming soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Many of us have the following eye conditions: cataracts, glaucoma, near sightedness, color blindness, far sightedness, and many defects not known to me.

Many wear glasses, contact lenses, etc.

By the way, sensitivity to bright light is a sign of glaucoma. Those having real problems with the bright level of the PW may well require some treatment of that disease.

It's possible that the "defects" are only visible to those with the best vision and also the PW is one of many devices having the ability to generate illusions.

3D television, holograms and other forms of viewing devices purposely use illusions to gain a certain perception.

Magicians use illusions all the time and manage to convince 98% of their audiences that the illusions are facts. Illusions are viewable to masses of folks in contrast to hallucinations which are only perceived by single individuals.
il·lu·sion /iˈlo͞oZHən/
Noun:
1. A false idea or belief: "he had no illusions about her".
2. A deceptive appearance or impression: "the illusion of togetherness".

Synonyms:
delusion - hallucination - phantasm - phantom - mirage
ultimatejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #423
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Proves my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the pink. Hubby swears he doesn't see it and thinks it looks great. I still have #1 and #3, but I've returned #2. I'm going to give it a couple of days.
Your hubby has eyes like mine. Neither of us see the pink blobs.

If your hubby and I cannot see the pink blobs and so many other can see them, how will Amazon be able to fix this. I don't see much hope for a physical change to correct this problem.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #424
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I've worked in software testing for over 20 years now, I'd bet jswinden is spot on. The focus of testing is always to mitigate the risk of releasing something, never to find and remove all flaws. It is almost always time-boxed - most of the skill in testing lies in working out the best way to use limited time. Project/Programme Managers are incentivised on time and cost, quality rarely comes into it in the same way.

It looks to me like competitive considerations to get 'something' out there over rode common sense.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #425
gosmo
gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
If you are seeing COLOR BLOBS on my photo, then we are looking at different pictures entirely.

I see NO color blobs there. The almost invisible pinkish SHADE in the upper right corner is not visible at all on my unit.

That IS THE PROBLEM. Its really illusions (contrasted with halucinations). I am perceiving the illusion of perfection and you are perceiving the illusion of a disastrous color blob problem.

There is no way Amazon will ever be able to correct illusions. Its simply not possible.

If I were you, I'd forget the Paperwhite. Send it in for a refund and buy a Kindle Fire HD.

I've noticed that problem in the comments at the PW page on the Amazon site. The vast majority see perfection and a large minority see color blods on their original units and on their replacements. Apparently, the PW, itself, is causing this huge difference. I doubt if Amazon will ever solve this one.
Between the pink blobs and dark green center it is extremely distracting and hard to concentrate. And it is REAL. On my first unit, I had all the problems I have now but they weren't nearly as pronounced. On my replacement it's much worse. Reading starting from the left is pink, then I get to the middle it's dark green, almost like you take your fist and smudged newsprint down the entire center, and then pink again. To top it off it varies from the top to bottom. Thats what I am SEEING.
gosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #426
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
There is an app you can download for free to test colorblindness. I heard that, through this app, a lot of peope realized they had a light form of color blindness, and the are more men than women affected by it. Your hubby may need to check it out
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #427
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your hubby has eyes like mine. Neither of us see the pink blobs.

If your hubby and I cannot see the pink blobs and so many other can see them, how will Amazon be able to fix this. I don't see much hope for a physical change to correct this problem.
Sirmaru, you may need to check out that app as well
Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #428
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amazon's official tint picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosmo View Post
Between the pink blobs and dark green center it is extremely distracting and hard to concentrate. And it is REAL. On my first unit, I had all the problems I have now but they weren't nearly as pronounced. On my replacement it's much worse. Reading starting from the left is pink, then I get to the middle it's dark green, almost like you take your fist and smudged newsprint down the entire center, and then pink again. To top it off it varies from the top to bottom. Thats what I am SEEING.
You are not the only one. See these OFFICIAL photos from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=1000841011

The low ligh level PW shown in a dark room has bluish green blobs all over. Amazon is showing it to convince you that your PW is normal.

You can notice in those photos that the bright PW light in a dark room does NOT show the colors. That is what I have been saying all along.

They must have used multicolor LED's and finally realized it. Maybe the fix will be to simply replace the LED's in the defective units.

Some LED's may have better colors than others. Enjoy the technicolor PaperCOLOR in all its glory! Evidently my PW is defective since my colors are too faint for me to enjoy them.

If they want to give us color, at least give us a background of an American Flag.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-12-2012 at 12:25 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #429
jswinden
Nameless Being

If there was truth in advertising we would have seen this:

"Introducing the new Kindle Paper-pink-blue-green-occasionally-white.

EDIT: I bet Steve Jobs would have liked it. He loved tripping out on acid! "Wow, look at the colors man!"
Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #430
xendula
eBookworm

So, guys, I just got off the phone with Kindle support to ask for a replacement. The call took me around 15 mins (compared to the three hours last time, I am in heaven!!) and I'll have a replacement on Tuesday. I decided to do it one by one, because maybe that's what is confusing to them: if you have double the problems. He did ask me if I applied pressure to it or dropped it - I wonder if that can cause the pastel screen background?!

Anyhow, for some reason I am confident that this next one will be great. I am apparently unable to give up on this thing!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #431
xendula
eBookworm

Jack and Sirmaru, you have me cracking up, and, in Sirmaru's case, that was not even intentional

"They must have used multicolored LED's and fianlly realized it" - I am literally having tears running down my cheeks!! I can't stop laughing!

Last edited by xendula; 10-12-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #432
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If there was truth in advertising we would have seen this:

"Introducing the new Kindle Paper-pink-blue-green-occasionally-white.

EDIT: I bet Steve Jobs would have liked it. He loved tripping out on acid!
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #433
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast

Quote:
So, guys, I just got off the phone with Kindle support to ask for a replacement. The call took me around 15 mins (compared to the three hours last time, I am in heaven!!) and I'll have a replacement on Tuesday. I decided to do it one by one, because maybe that's what is confusing to them: if you have double the problems. He did ask me if I applied pressure to it or dropped it - I wonder if that can cause the pastel screen background?!

Anyhow, for some reason I am confident that this next one will be great. I am apparently unable to give up on this thing!
We all wish you the best! Mine is supposed to be shipped in a couple weeks (I ordered with a 4-6 week delay) and I'm really hoping that the second batch it good. If not, I'm going to try replacements until they ship me a good one.

I already sold my Touch (right before I ordered my PW) and I don't want to be Kindle-less for too long.

Last edited by ultimatejimmy; 10-12-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: add quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #434
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Jack and Sirmaru, you have me cracking up, and, in Sirmaru's case, that was not even intentional

"They must have used multicolored LED's and fianlly realized it" - I am literally having tears running down my cheeks!! I can't stop laughing!

This.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #435
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
They must have used multicolor LED's and finally realized it. Maybe the fix will be to simply replace the LED's in the defective units.

Some LED's may have better colors than others. Enjoy the technicolor PaperCOLOR in all its glory! Evidently my PW is defective since my colors are too faint for me to enjoy them.

If they want to give us color, at least give us a background of an American Flag.
Sirmaru, I can't help it, I LOVED this comment and made it my signature! Let me know if I shoud give you full credit (full user name)