Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur
Paul in Saudi is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Downloading Content Overseas

Thank you for all the help in the other thread. This one is easy.

I live in Saudi Arabia but am now in Mexico on vacation. That is to say I am out of the Whispernet service area. I am subscribing to the New York Times. When I go to the Managing Your Kindle Page, I see a number of copies of the The Times are undelivered. How do I get them?

It is not obvious to me. I plug the Kindle into the USB port, then I do what exactly?

This is fairly critical to me as I will need to use the computer/USB technique to download all content once I get back to Saudi.
Paul in Saudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
From the "Manage your Kindle" page, look for a link on the right side that says "Your Media Library". Go there, and select "View All Your Kindle Items".You can download the files from here.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Once in your Media Library download the items to your computer then use the USB connection to move the files to your Kindle. Be sure to put the newspapers and such in to the documents folder.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur
Paul in Saudi is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Thank you, let me go try that.

--editted to add--

Thank you. That worked fine--

Last edited by Paul in Saudi; 01-08-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Paul in Saudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Glad you were able to get your NYT!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
patriciagrace
patriciagrace began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Ok I guess I am a bit slow but what do you do after you have download a file to your Kindle page on your computer and then connect the USB - what do you do them. Maybe I am not accessing the correct page on the Kindle.
Patricia G
patriciagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
It needs to go into your documents folder..NOT the ebooks folder.

Can you drag the book there?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciagrace View Post
Ok I guess I am a bit slow but what do you do after you have download a file to your Kindle page on your computer and then connect the USB - what do you do them. Maybe I am not accessing the correct page on the Kindle.
Patricia G
Your question isn't clear as there is no "Kindle page on your computer" per se.

There is a "Manage My Kindle" page on Amazon. You access it from your computer's web browser. This lists Kindle books you've bought. You can select a book and download a file FROM that page TO your computer. Then you connect the Kindle to your computer via USB. The Kindle should now appear on your computer as a hard drive just like any other drive. Open it up and you should see folders like "audible", "documents", etc. Drag the file you downloaded to your computer onto the Kindle and put it inside the "documents" folder. After it's done transferring, disconnect your Kindle's USB connection and the book will show up in a few seconds.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:27 AM   #9
patriciagrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Your question isn't clear as there is no "Kindle page on your computer" per se.

There is a "Manage My Kindle" page on Amazon. You access it from your computer's web browser. This lists Kindle books you've bought. You can select a book and download a file FROM that page TO your computer. Then you connect the Kindle to your computer via USB. The Kindle should now appear on your computer as a hard drive just like any other drive. Open it up and you should see folders like "audible", "documents", etc. Drag the file you downloaded to your computer onto the Kindle and put it inside the "documents" folder. After it's done transferring, disconnect your Kindle's USB connection and the book will show up in a few seconds.

True - I do not have a Kindle page on my computer as you say - that was just my sloppy terminology. I can open the documents folder where I can see the ebooks which I have successfully uploaded from feedbooks.com.(I am in Melbourne Australia so therefore cannot access downloads from Amazon but am considering sending myself some gift money in order to circumvent these tiresome restrictions).
I plug in the USB and then what? When I plug in the USB I get a message on the Kindle saying 'If you want to use your Kindle and continue charging, please eject you Kindle from you computer."
Clearly I am doing something wrong - but what is it? Can you spell out the procedure step by tiny step - just pretend I am three years old! Maybe I should ask my neighbour's 4 year old to explain it all to me.

Patriciagrace
Old 06-01-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Patricia,

Once you've plugged the Kindle into the computer, go to Windows Explorer or My Computer (or the equivalent if your computer is something other than Windows).

Look in the Folders pane (usually down the left-hand side of Windows Explorer. If necessary, drill down into My Computer. You should see a list of your disk drives. One of these will refer to your Kindle. (I know a Kindle isn't a disk drive, but the computer thinks it is). If you're not sure which drive it is, look at each of them in turn.

The Kindle drive will contain three folders, one of which is named Documents.

Now, you need to drag the files that you have just downloaded from your C drive to that Documents folder. You drag the files from the folder into which you downloaded them; you drag them to the Documents folder on the Kindle "drive"

I'm writing this in a hurry as I am about to go into a meeting. If my instructions are unclear, give a shout, and I -- or someone else -- will give you more details.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
patriciagrace

Thanks for that Mike. I can do all that you suggest without any problems but it is the next bit that has me confused. What do I do next?
1. Plug in the USB
2. Highlight the ebook I want to transfer to Kindle???
3. Open Kindle???Does Kindle have to to be on before I plug in the USB?
4.And then what??? Do I click on something to get things going?

How long does it take to upload the ebook to Kindle?
Where on the Kindle do I find the newly uploaded ebook?

I really appreciate your help - thanks again.

Patricia
Old 06-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
1. Turn on your computer.
2. Turn on Kindle.
3. Plug Kindle into USB on your computer.
4. Set Kindle down.
5. Go to your computer and double-click on the thing that says My Computer on the desktop.
6. Double-click on the thing that says Kindle.
7. Double-click on the thing that says documents.
8. Now on your computer go to wherever it is that you downloaded your ebook.
9. Right-click once and hold the mouse button down on the ebook.
10. Move the mouse to "drag" the file into the window that says documents (the one on your Kindle).
11. Release the right mouse button.
12. Wait for the file copy to complete. Then wait 30 seconds more.
13. Unplug the USB cable from the computer.
14. Give the Kindle 30 seconds to show your book.
15. Use your Kindle to read the book.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Something so simple for us right now, was like learning ancient greek when we first started.

This board should get a medal of honor for the patience and kindness shown to all the newbies.........

Hang in there, patriciagrace. Soon you'll be wondering how you ever did without your Kindle.....

Keep asking questions. Someone will keep guiding you.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #14
patriciagrace

I wuv u

Patricia
Old 06-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #15
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciagrace View Post
I wuv u
Does that mean it worked? Can you please translate?

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote