Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
cincinnatus
cincinnatus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3
Missing letters in pdf

I have downloaded .pdf book from www.archive.org and some (random) letters are missing when trying to read it on KF. Althought the content is readable, it is very annoying to guess the missing characters again and again.

It doesnt matter whether I use native reader, Montano or Aldiko. Nevertheless, PC does not have any problems reproducing the content.

The file itself seems to be OCR-ed.

Any ideas what could be the issue here?

Original file is accessible on:
http://archive.org/download/fourlect...onre00stei.pdf

Thanks,
cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Scanned-and-OCR-ed PDFs can be a real mess, and I'd include this in that category (not that Google's are any better). I don't have my Fire handy, but I did some clean-up with Acrobat and loaded it successfully on my Kindle Touch (my first attempt, with just some cropping and 'reduce file size' applied, failed). Even so, there were issues with text selection and the grey background (the scan is in color, with yellowish paper) did not help any. To improve on it, I think I would export the pages as images (preserving whatever resolution is there), do some image processing to clean it up (remove colored background) and then do a fresh OCR with something that works well (e.g Acrobat).

I blame archive.org's workflow. It is really too bad, you only want to do this sort of thing one time, they should do it right and get whatever tools are needed to do it.

It would be nice to have bookmarks and linked TOC as well. Probably no automation is up to that, but they could crowd-source this task.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Try another PDF reader.

I deleted the first page and made the document searchable and optimized it using PDF Converter Professional. I viewed quite a few pages (not all) on my Pocket eDGe (another Android tablet) using ezPDF Reader (http://download.pandaapp.com/android....2-id6423.html) and I didn't see any missing letters. Even the smallest equations were intact. If you tell me what page(s) the missing letters are on I'll see if I can view them using ezPDF. Or you can downloaded ezPDF using the link above or you can buy the Pro version from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Unidocs-Inc-ez...keywords=ezpdf), and download the optimized PDF from my Dropbox and see if it helps:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25986798/Fou...nd%20Space.pdf

Last edited by obsessed2; 06-23-2012 at 08:55 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kinde fire, missing letters, pdf