Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
seaquay
seaquay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Need help with programming a column based on previous data in the same column

I have two columns section and subsection. When I add new books, I first fill in the section (e.g. 'psychology', geography etc.). While entering new books, when I type a letter, I get all the previously entered unique data, which is great. I then proceed to fill in the subsection. I get all the previously entered data in this column, BUT I want only a subset of data that belongs to a particular section. For example, if under 'psychology', I have two subsections - 'Abnormal' and 'Clinical', and under 'geography', I have two subsections - 'Africa' and 'Asia'; then if I type 'Psychology' as the section for a new book and in the subsection I type 'A', I wish to see only 'Abnormal' and not 'Africa' and 'Asia'.
So I want the column 'subsection' to have data based on column 'section'.
Before someone points out, yes, using tags is a great idea, but I feel that I have better control here.
seaquay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaquay View Post
I have two columns section and subsection. When I add new books, I first fill in the section (e.g. 'psychology', geography etc.). While entering new books, when I type a letter, I get all the previously entered unique data, which is great. I then proceed to fill in the subsection. I get all the previously entered data in this column, BUT I want only a subset of data that belongs to a particular section. For example, if under 'psychology', I have two subsections - 'Abnormal' and 'Clinical', and under 'geography', I have two subsections - 'Africa' and 'Asia'; then if I type 'Psychology' as the section for a new book and in the subsection I type 'A', I wish to see only 'Abnormal' and not 'Africa' and 'Asia'.
So I want the column 'subsection' to have data based on column 'section'.
Before someone points out, yes, using tags is a great idea, but I feel that I have better control here.
Would Text with a fixed set of permitted Values work (is not conditional on another column and I am not sure of how big a list it supports)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Calibre does not support what you want to do. There is no way to link the legal contents of one column to the content of another.

The closest you can get is hierarchical items as described here. Yes, these are tags, but it isn't clear whether you included hierarchical tags when you said "Before someone points out..."
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columns