Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #46
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, more people have ePub capable readers then Kindles. Remember, the world does not stop as the US borders. Plus, ePub converts better (overall) to other formats then Mobi does..

Hmm..
"US is 75% of Global E-Reader Market, Apple & Amazon Dominate, Says IDC Study"

"Amazon was the market leader in e-readers for the 3rd quarter with more than 1.1 million units shipped and 41.5% share worldwide."

So, yeah.. I know there is a world outside of US... but Amazon is still king as of that study I read. Could have changed since then of course. But based on that iBook and Mobi are the formats of choice right now.

SRC: http://publishingperspectives.com/20...reader-market/
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Hmm..
"US is 75% of Global E-Reader Market, Apple & Amazon Dominate, Says IDC Study"

"Amazon was the market leader in e-readers for the 3rd quarter with more than 1.1 million units shipped and 41.5% share worldwide."

So, yeah.. I know there is a world outside of US... but Amazon is still king as of that study I read. Could have changed since then of course. But based on that iBook and Mobi are the formats of choice right now.

SRC: http://publishingperspectives.com/20...reader-market/
Lets say for the sake of argument that Amazon is the #1 brand. But when you combine all the other readers that read ePub, Amazon is no longer #1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #48
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Lets say for the sake of argument that Amazon is the #1 brand. But when you combine all the other readers that read ePub, Amazon is no longer #1.
Isn't that a bit like three people adding up their grades on a test, and then pushing around students whose grade on their own was lower than the three students' combined grade?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Isn't that a bit like three people adding up their grades on a test, and then pushing around students whose grade on their own was lower than the three students' combined grade?
Not at all. It's saying that more people own a reader that handles ePub then a reader that handles AZW.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #50
Crossroad Press
Author, Pulblisher
Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle
We use a sort of hybrid distribution. We format our own books and convert them for our online store. We upload directly to B&N through Pubit! and to Amazon through KDP because (frankly) our formatting is better and cleaner than what we get through Smashwords. All that said, the opportunity to get to Apple without having to either add yet another upload program AND buy ISBN numbers (which I consider idiotic for an eBook that will never be shelved, or bar-coded) - and to hit Sony, Kobo, and some other places without adding undue strain to our already overworked staff - totally worth it. It takes time to figure out what does, and does not work well at Smashwords, just like everwhere else, but we haven't run into an issue we couldn't get around (though we had some serious problems with one book and it's footnotes).
Crossroad Press is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #51
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One problem is the ebook world is still pretty volatile. If Kobo for example is successful with their move it might secure EPUB, but if Amazon forces B&N out of the market then the battle will be between Mobi and iBook. If some other player comes along it could be some other format.

I think we have a ways to got yet before we crown any format king.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
One problem is the ebook world is still pretty volatile. If Kobo for example is successful with their move it might secure EPUB, but if Amazon forces B&N out of the market then the battle will be between Mobi and iBook. If some other player comes along it could be some other format.

I think we have a ways to got yet before we crown any format king.
To be honest, I don't think another format could make inroads. There are too many readers out there that would then have to be abandoned and I don't think many people would be willing to buy another eink reader just to be able to read a different format when ePub is just fine.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroad Press View Post
We use a sort of hybrid distribution. We format our own books and convert them for our online store. We upload directly to B&N through Pubit! and to Amazon through KDP because (frankly) our formatting is better and cleaner than what we get through Smashwords. All that said, the opportunity to get to Apple without having to either add yet another upload program AND buy ISBN numbers (which I consider idiotic for an eBook that will never be shelved, or bar-coded) - and to hit Sony, Kobo, and some other places without adding undue strain to our already overworked staff - totally worth it. It takes time to figure out what does, and does not work well at Smashwords, just like everwhere else, but we haven't run into an issue we couldn't get around (though we had some serious problems with one book and it's footnotes).
It is good to know that if I buy direct from your shop or from B&N, I'll get the better coded (maybe) better looking ePub. Thanks for that information.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #54
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
To be honest, I don't think another format could make inroads. There are too many readers out there that would then have to be abandoned and I don't think many people would be willing to buy another eink reader just to be able to read a different format when ePub is just fine.
Eh, it would only take a firmware update to fix the current pile of ereaders. Nook and Kindle are Android devices at least so they are easy to update. I suspect other ereaders have similar path.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Eh, it would only take a firmware update to fix the current pile of ereaders. Nook and Kindle are Android devices at least so they are easy to update. I suspect other ereaders have similar path.
There is no way in heck we'll get firmware updates for a new format. These companies have invested in ePub. They won't want to switch and because of that, a new format would fail big time.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #56
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
There is no way in heck we'll get firmware updates for a new format. These companies have invested in ePub. They won't want to switch and because of that, a new format would fail big time.
Eh, I do not agree. But time will tell. My GUESS is that EPub will win out, at least in the near term, UNLESS Amazon makes a successful play to eliminate a few more pieces of competition.

For now, I backup all my books in to EPUB regardless of what format I bought them in, just in case.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #57
Crossroad Press
Author, Pulblisher
Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.Crossroad Press is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle
Amazon said a while back that they intend to (at some point) begin offering a choice (including ePub) so I assume that to mean that they also intend to update Kindles to handle it. Firmware isn't necessary for the change, only an updated reader app. If a free thing like Calibre can read them all, and no one in particular owns ePub, no reason Amazon can't use it. Personally, I say good on Amazon. They did it all first and faster, harder and better, and now everyone is mad because they're winning. Doesn't matter if their format is worse - they have about 2/3 more books than the nearest competitor...
Crossroad Press is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #58
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Amazon said a while back that they intend to (at some point) begin offering a choice (including ePub) so I assume that to mean that they also intend to update Kindles to handle it. Firmware isn't necessary for the change, only an updated reader app. If a free thing like Calibre can read them all, and no one in particular owns ePub, no reason Amazon can't use it. Personally, I say good on Amazon. They did it all first and faster, harder and better, and now everyone is mad because they're winning. Doesn't matter if their format is worse - they have about 2/3 more books than the nearest competitor...
Oh I am not mad, I am grateful. If not for them, my books would not exist and would not be selling. They built my market niche.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
They did it all first and faster, harder and better, and now everyone is mad because they're winning. Doesn't matter if their format is worse - they have about 2/3 more books than the nearest competitor...
Actually, Sony did it first and better.