Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
Help with NST please

A friend of mine sent a brand new Limited Edition NST to someone in Canada.

She charged it, registered it, side loaded some books and mailed it. The person in Canada got it yesterday and was reading with it last night. I just got an email from the person in Canada saying when she finished reading, she turned it off and now can't get it back on.

She says the screen saver is showing, and when she swipes to unlock it, nothing happens. Here's what she told me

Quote:
I turned it off at the back, waited a minute then pressed the button again and it came up with the B&N etc and the battery life - 74%. Now it is in screensaver mode again, I've hit Nav and swiped lock to unlock and the arrows are still going. How long should it take to warm up, maybe I'm expecting it to go faster?
Nothing different happening right now - just the screen saver plus the little arrows from left to right. Just now I thought it was going to work but just another screen saver and the line about pressing the Nav etc so basically starting all over again.
This has never happened to me so I don't know what to tell her. She is an older woman who was very resistant to getting a reader...but a bunch of us told her she wouldn't regret it. I hope we don't eat crow.

Is there anything I can tell her to get this working again? Is there a way to reset it or something?
Thanks.

Last edited by zwarbles; 12-13-2011 at 06:59 PM.
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Maybe completely restart it by pressing the power button (at the back of the Nook) for like 5-6 seconds?

It's always so frustrating when you convince someone that a product will be totally awesome but then the person gets more problems than you ever did. I had the same thing when I encouraged a family member to switch to Mac.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Make sure the NST is running firmware 1.1, because that update seems to have solved these screen problems.
A restart should indeed fix your current problem.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote