Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
riccioberto
riccioberto began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
DJVU viewer?

Hi all,
I'm a new to this forum, I've just got my iLiad v2 (2.11) a couple of weeks ago.
After installing the enabling pack from iRex, I tried to install the DJVU viewer implemented by scotty1024 and downloadable from this link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10862

Installation was OK, but, even after rebooting, DJVU files continued not to be recognized by the contentLister. I had a look at the install.sh script and it looks like the script tries to modify - among others - the Mobipocket section of the file /mnt/settings/er_registry.txt, by adding DJVU to the list of extensions managed by Mobipocket. I installed mrxvt and used it to have a look at the er_registry.txt file and, well... THERE'S NO SUCH FILE in /mnt/settings! More, there's no er_registry.txt file in /etc either! (not in any other directory under /).
Reading various posts in this forum, I sort of realized that this file is an important system file, so much so that, if you remove it from /etc, the device gets freezed.
Could somebody help me understand what's going on? The iLiad works as expected, so maybe the er_registry.txt file has been replaced by something else. If so, how can I modify the scripts in scotty1024's package so as to reflect the change? Unfortunately, it looks like scotty1024 is no more participating actively to the forum, so I can't make this question directly to him.
Hope someone can help, I've got plenty of DJVU ebooks and it would be great to be able to open tham on the iLiad without conversion into PDF.

Thank you in advance,
bye
riccioberto
riccioberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
In firmware 2.11, the registry was changed to an XML based format. The installer will have to be modified to support the changes.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
riccioberto
riccioberto began at the beginning.

Thank you for replying. Where can I find information on the new xml-based registry? Can you give me some hints on how to make the needed changes to the installer? I guess it's just a matter of identifying the new xml file that inherited the role of er_registry.txt and make the modifications there, respecting the xml syntax.
Alternatively, do you know of any other DJVU reader that works on the iLiad?
Thanks, riccioberto
riccioberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
HET2
HET2 began at the beginning.

Speaking of the djvu viewer. I took scotty's djvu viewer and tried to make it more useable. After playing with it for a few days I have come to a very unfortunate conclusion.

The javadjvu library is too much of a mess to ever work on the iliad.

The problem is that the code is very very dirty. I stumbled upon some code which only works on pc's because java recognizes an infinite loop and throws an exception. On the iliad this crashes the virtual machine .

The good news is that I have refactored scotty's code quite a bit, not to say I have totally rewritten it. The result is a framework which can be used to rapidly create a java based viewer using a different library. You can find the complete source code here: http://diman.todorov.googlepages.com/javadjvu.jar. The jar contains settings and sources to an eclipse project. If you want to build it, don't forget to set the path to irex.jar to where you have put your irex.jar (which can be found in /home/intent on your irex).

The refactored code gives you the benefit of not having to worry about interfacing to the toolbar, the pagebar and the keys. You just need to implement a zooming function and register it as a callback for the button/icon of your choice.

If you have any questions about implementing a new viewer, feel free to ask - I have (painfully) collected quite a bit of experience...

Just don't forget, the code won't work in its present state - it just demonstrates that the application gets caught up in an infinite validation loop before it crashes (look in /var/tmp/ktrace.log for stdout/stderr output).
HET2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
HET2
HET2 began at the beginning.

oops, unintended post

Last edited by HET2; 11-11-2007 at 02:28 AM.
HET2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
serge
Enthusiast
serge has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by riccioberto View Post
Where can I find information on the new xml-based registry?
A couple of new posts appeared recently, where it is described how to make the viewer run under 2.11:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=44
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=10
serge is offline   Reply With Quote