Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
Teddie
Teddie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Red face Help

typical I see you saying .. a newbie with a problem in the wrong place !!!

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place but I need some

I have a book in HTML so I ran it through Calibre to get it into MOBI loaded the book up and ... NOTHING .. although the book is there you can't read it.

So I opened up the HTML and its Black with White text hence I can't read it in my Kindle 3.

What my question is .. how do I reverse the colours ie White with Black text ?

Please remember I'm a real novice to this and understand nothing

I would not take offence to "small words" and step by step explanations ..

many thanks in advance for any help

Teddie
Teddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

That sounds like a style setting within the file. If you view the HTML in a web browser is the text black or white? If it is white then you can add body { color: black } to the extra CSS field during the conversion with calibre.

Also one way to view HTML files on a Kindle without converting them is to rename it to a *.txt file then load it on the Kindle. The Kindle will then interpret the HTML correctly.
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddie View Post
typical I see you saying .. a newbie with a problem in the wrong place !!!

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place but I need some

I have a book in HTML so I ran it through Calibre to get it into MOBI loaded the book up and ... NOTHING .. although the book is there you can't read it.

So I opened up the HTML and its Black with White text hence I can't read it in my Kindle 3.

many thanks in advance for any help

Teddie
You will need to change the coding of the book. You see somewhere there is a html tag or CSS style that need to be switched but without seeing the coding. I can't be more of help. I would look first at the body tag and see if it's set there. Look for something like #000000 or #FFFFFF Anything like that.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

The advice given above is good, but this might be simpler:

Convert the HTML file to TXT using Calibre
Convert the TXT file to Mobi using Calibre. In the conversion settings, enable heuristic processing.

Converting to TXT will remove all formatting, so when you convert the TXT file to Mobi, it will default to black text on white background. The heuristic processing will attempt to detect things like chapter headings and format accordingly.

The results may not be very good, but it will at least be readable.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Teddie

hiya Jack and Blossom

Thank you both for giving me pointer as to what to do .. I have opened the file and what I can see is :

<body bgcolor=black lang=EN-US style='tab-interval:.5in'>

then further down the document its says

<p class=MsoPlainText><span style='font-size:14.0pt;mos-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;
font-fmaily:"Times New Roma";color:white'><o>&nbsp;</o><?span></p>

I understand I have to change where it says bgcolor=black I need to change the black to white and same with the font I need to change "Times New Roman";color:white'> the white to Black.

Unfortunately I don't know how to open the HTML in "code" so I can change it and thats where my problem starts. To find this information I viewed the document in IE and then Right clicked and "view source".

Please if anyone can tell me how to open this document so I can edit it I'd be very happy.

Teddie
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
hiya Jack and Blossom

Thank you both for giving me pointer as to what to do .. I have opened the file and what I can see is :

<body bgcolor=black lang=EN-US style='tab-interval:.5in'>

then further down the document its says

<p class=MsoPlainText><span style='font-size:14.0pt;mos-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;
font-fmaily:"Times New Roma";color:white'><o>&nbsp;</o><?span></p>

I understand I have to change where it says bgcolor=black I need to change the black to white and same with the font I need to change "Times New Roman";color:white'> the white to Black.

Unfortunately I don't know how to open the HTML in "code" so I can change it and thats where my problem starts. To find this information I viewed the document in IE and then Right clicked and "view source".

Please if anyone can tell me how to open this document so I can edit it I'd be very happy.

Teddie
I use Notepad2 it's free and easy to use. Just open it in that then make the necessary changes.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
Teddie

ahhh ty Blossom

your very kind

Teddie

runs off to find Notepad2
Old 10-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
Teddie

oh my .. oh my .. Blossom you are Wonderful

ty for pointing me in the right direction

now to try and give you Karma

Teddie
Old 10-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
oh my .. oh my .. Blossom you are Wonderful

ty for pointing me in the right direction

now to try and give you Karma

Teddie
I use Notepad2 for all my html/text editing needs. There are other free editors but I always like simple, quick and easy. I like how it highlights most html tags that the others don't.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
Teddie

I used Notepad2 ... fixed the problem, then put it through Calibre .. sent it to my Kindle now I'm off to bed with a good read

Thank you so much Blossom your a real star

and your right Notepad2 is so easy to use even for me a real novice.

I think your in the USA so enjoy the rest of your day.

Nite nite
Teddie
Old 10-29-2011, 02:41 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please note:

"your" means "belonging to you"
"you're" means "you are"

Hence, "your book", but "you're right".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote