Old 09-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
coleman
Connoisseur
coleman began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets and phones, Windows tablet, Kobo Aura One
For SF/Heinlein fans...

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_694554...nclick_check=1

It's a registration required site but this quote hits the important part:
" The complete archive of renowned American science-fiction writer Robert Heinlein will be made available online..."

I wonder if they'd object to a community project to convert it to a particular eBook format.
coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Here is what it says:

The complete archive of renowned American science-fiction writer Robert Heinlein will be made available online, thanks to an unusual partnership of the University of California-Santa Cruz and the Heinlein Prize Trust.

Heinlein, who lived in Santa Cruz for two decades, was one of the grand masters of science fiction. He became a pop icon in the 1960s with the publication of "Stranger In A Strange Land," one of the most successful science-fiction novels ever published. He died in 1988.

The entire contents of the Robert A. and Virginia Heinlein Archive - housed in the UC-Santa Cruz Library's Special Collections since 1968 - have been scanned in an effort to preserve the contents digitally while making the collection easily available to both academics and the general public. The digitization project was the brainchild of Art Dula, director of the Heinlein Prize Trust.

The first collection released includes 106,000 pages, consisting of Heinlein's complete manuscripts - including files of all his published works, notes, research, early drafts and edits of manuscripts. The documents offer a window into Heinlein's creative process and provide background and context for his work.

Other collections soon to be added to the online archive will feature Robert and Virginia Heinlein's business and personal correspondence, scrapbooks, photo albums, and unpublished works, including communications with Heinlein's editor and agent.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
dalai
Enthusiast
dalai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS T2
The links to the archive and the discussion on slashdot.

Also when they say "make available to the public", they don't mean for free so I don't see any community effort involved. Furthermore as far as I understand we are talking more about handwritten notes, correspondence and the like, which if you're not a researcher are probably of limited value.
dalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Further Information

The archive appears to contain non-DRMed PDFs scanned from his manuscripts. I bought a couple and am waiting for the download link.

The attached file is a quickie LRF conversion of part of one of the manuscripts. Note the background. I don't know about you but I am pissed to find that background on something I payed for.

These e-manuscripts are not very useful, unless you are a RAH fanatic or researcher. They are also expensive, as much as $33 for Friday.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf OPUS003.lrf (588.8 KB, 523 views)

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-21-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Hmm... Well perhaps this will mean that more eBook versions of Heinlein might be forthcoming.... Currently all that's out there that I'm aware of are Stranger, For Us the Living, and Double Star. I'd look forward to seeing more.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Puppet Master is out in LIT format.

Baen has Expanded Universe, Farnham's Freehold, and Lazurus's Notebooks.

Where did you find the 3 you named? I want to get them.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:25 AM   #7
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The archive appears to contain non-DRMed PDFs scanned from his manuscripts. I bought a couple and am waiting for the download link.

The attached file is a quickie LRF conversion of part of one of the manuscripts. Note the background. I don't know about you but I am pissed to find that background on something I payed for.

These e-manuscripts are not very useful, unless you are a RAH fanatic or researcher. They are also expensive, as much as $33 for Friday.
My Connect reader on my PC won't open your file. It reports an error.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:44 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
My Connect reader on my PC won't open your file. It reports an error.
Has to be a download error. It works fine for me.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Ffictionwise has more than three. Some DRM, some multiformat, some .mp3 files.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman View Post
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_694554...nclick_check=1

It's a registration required site but this quote hits the important part:
" The complete archive of renowned American science-fiction writer Robert Heinlein will be made available online..."

I wonder if they'd object to a community project to convert it to a particular eBook format.
Probably.

What is available on site is collected Heinlein correspondence and miscellany, not ebook versions of his novels.

It is also not free: charges vary from a little to a lot, depending. This is aimed at academics and researchers.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote