Notices

Old 08-29-2007, 12:45 AM   #1
alophind
Connoisseur
alophind began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 650
Help with Book Designer and Links inside ebook

Hi there ,
I have an ebook in 2 formats , rtf and html (Its a collection of html files with TOC and chapters).
My problem is when I load either the toc.html or the rtf file to the Book Designer , I get the TOC as empty links.

For example , if the eBook is in path "c:\sampleBook" and inside I have :
toc.html
chapter1.html
chapter2.html

Once I open the toc.html in Book Designer , I see the chapter1 as an empty link with href to "../../../../../sampleBook/chapter1.html"

How can I fix it that the conversation to lrf will work with TOC ?!

Cheers.
alophind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:01 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would suggest loading the RTF version. Delete the TOC that's in the book. Make sure that all the chapter titles have the "Title" style in BD (use the "Element Browser" tool to check), then use the "Insert TOC" menu item. BD will auto-generate a TOC based on everything that has the "Title" style.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would suggest loading the RTF version. Delete the TOC that's in the book. Make sure that all the chapter titles have the "Title" style in BD (use the "Element Browser" tool to check), then use the "Insert TOC" menu item. BD will auto-generate a TOC based on everything that has the "Title" style.
Thank you.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:34 AM   #4
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Harry ,
I just tried this and I got error message "Failing to convert to lrf..."
How can I see why it failed and try to fix it ?

Thank you.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:41 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you installed BD correctly? You need to first install BD4 with the "BookDesigner.msi" installer, and then unzip the BD5 update on top of it, overwriting the files with the same name.
Advert
Old 08-29-2007, 06:09 AM   #6
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Have you installed BD correctly? You need to first install BD4 with the "BookDesigner.msi" installer, and then unzip the BD5 update on top of it, overwriting the files with the same name.
Thats what I did.
I changed in configuration to English.
Tried different rtf and failed.

Is there a sample rtf to test , something that you know for sure is ok.

Maybe those I used are bad files (A friend sent me 2 to test)

Last edited by alophind; 08-29-2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:22 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't think the input format has anything to do with it - when BD input anything it converts it to HTML, so once it's "in" BD the original format is irrelevent.

You're not running Vista, are you?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #8
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
I don't think the input format has anything to do with it - when BD input anything it converts it to HTML, so once it's "in" BD the original format is irrelevent.

You're not running Vista, are you?
Nop , XP.
I've installed the msi file , then overriden it with version 5.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by alophind View Post
Nop , XP.
I've installed the msi file , then overriden it with version 5.
Re Installed , Now its working.
After creating the book , It auto loads it in the Sony Reader emulator.
Does the TOC suppose to work there or only on the device itself?
Old 08-29-2007, 08:12 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, the TOC should work in the "Connect" emulator, too. Isn't it doing so?

If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest that you look at the BD tutorial that you can download from the "Book Uploads" forum.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you have MS Word installed? BD uses that to do some of the background conversions. Also, saying you are using version 5 is meaningless. Are you using the 05/30/2007 or 07/30/2007 version? The version date is what is meaningful as to telling us what version you are using.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #12
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
No, the TOC should work in the "Connect" emulator, too. Isn't it doing so?

If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest that you look at the BD tutorial that you can download from the "Book Uploads" forum.
Thank you , I'll check it.
Its just when I click the mouse on the TOC , its only Highlight it like Text Selection in Word.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:10 AM   #13
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you have MS Word installed? BD uses that to do some of the background conversions. Also, saying you are using version 5 is meaningless. Are you using the 05/30/2007 or 07/30/2007 version? The version date is what is meaningful as to telling us what version you are using.
I dont have MS Reader installed (Does it needed for creating TOC ? Because I can convert to $ony reader format now).

Im using version 05/30/2007 which I downloaded from one of the posts here.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:22 AM   #14
tjyoung99
tjyoung99 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
In the case of multiple part htmls I have had good luck using BD's 'Join Books' (under Tools). Run it & browse to the folder containing the html files. Click 'Find' to see all the files & delete all the files except the title page & chapter files. Click 'Join' & BD will create a file ending in 'joined' which I then load into BD.
I manually insert any graphics & create a TOC. This has worked well for me several times & I keep the all the formating of the html version.
tjyoung99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #15
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjyoung99 View Post
In the case of multiple part htmls I have had good luck using BD's 'Join Books' (under Tools). Run it & browse to the folder containing the html files. Click 'Find' to see all the files & delete all the files except the title page & chapter files. Click 'Join' & BD will create a file ending in 'joined' which I then load into BD.
I manually insert any graphics & create a TOC. This has worked well for me several times & I keep the all the formating of the html version.
Will try it.
Thank you.