Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Was Apple Right? Flash crashes twice in tech demo on mobile phone

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/was-ap...ile-demo/34268

Quote:
Here’s what happened: On his Mac, Ryan pulled up a site called Eco Zoo. It is, seemingly, a pretty intense example of Flash development — full of 3D rendering, rich interactions, and cute little characters. Then, he pulled up the same thing on his Nexus One. The site’s progress bar filled in and the 3D world appeared for a few seconds before the browser crashed. Ryan said (paraphrasing), “Whoops! Well, it’s beta, and this is an intense example — let’s try it again.” He tried it again and got the same result. So he said to the audience, “Well, this one isn’t going to work, but does anyone have a Flash site they’d like to see running?” Someone shouted out “Hulu.” Ryan said, “Hulu doesn’t work,” and then wrapped up his demo, telling people if they wanted to try more sites they could find him later and he’d let them play with his Nexus One.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

it makes me wonder what hulu is doing on their site that it doesn't work...
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibril View Post
Maybe you should taje a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7XJI4NN7k
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
jibril
Connoisseur

It wasn't bad (I'm not sure how much they cherrypick sites) but it seems in the same general state as I saw it last summer when they (or someone) demoed flash for the first time on an android last summer (back then in development).
Old 05-12-2010, 02:56 AM   #5
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibril View Post
It wasn't bad (I'm not sure how much they cherrypick sites) but it seems in the same general state as I saw it last summer when they (or someone) demoed flash for the first time on an android last summer (back then in development).
Hm, did you notice that a fair bit of the video was browsing and manipulating objects on the site you mention above, Eco Zoo, with the heavy 3D stuff on it.

The Nexus One with 2.2 did perfectly fine, which is impressive, in my book.

Eco Zoo is pretty fun site, BTW.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post

The Nexus One with 2.2 did perfectly fine, which is impressive, in my book.
There was some stuttering, but it seemed to run fairly well. Still, it would be wise to keep in mind that this was a demo shot by the same Ryan (Adobe Evangelist) mentioned in the opening post, under controlled conditions. Obviously his live demo of the same site didn't go as well.

When users are running Flash on Android in the wild, we can assess its real-world performance - anything until then is PR fluff.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It will probably take a while to get the kinks worked out. I'm hoping it works flawlessly (or nearly so) on the upcoming Google tablet.

I'm not a lover or hater of Flash, but it's just too prevalent for me to go without on my net tablet currently, so I need it to work well.

Down the road it may be moot when HTLM 5 or something else mostly replaces it. But it's pretty much a must have for me until then.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 05-12-2010 at 11:57 AM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
When users are running Flash on Android in the wild, we can assess its real-world performance - anything until then is PR fluff.
oh, come on. that's just crazy talk!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
jibril
Connoisseur

I can't say for the iPad, but even when flash works "well" on phones, I think I'll prefer dedicated apps that make full use of screen real estate and have less spurious inputs than playing with a flash thingy in a browser (I think the iPhone browser is too finicky as is with detecting hitting a link vs simply scrolling :-/ )

For instance, Pandora as an app is great, but if flash worked in the beginning, and they only had their website thing, that would suck because the controls would be for a desktop and microscopic.

Also, a lot of games won't work, like these:
http://rocksolidarcade.com/

They need keyboard. (I don't think I would want a slide out keyboard nor hitting those tiny keys to play a game).
Old 05-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
For phones I'd agree. I personally don't see much need for Flash on a phone. But then again, I don't have any personal need/desire for a smartphone period, so I'm just not in that market.

For a tablet, it's a must for me until Flash is replaced down the road as too many sites I frequent (especially video sites--which would be a pretty big use of a tablet for me) are reliant on Flash currently.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
jibril
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
For a tablet, it's a must for me until Flash is replaced down the road as too many sites I frequent (especially video sites--which would be a pretty big use of a tablet for me) are reliant on Flash currently.
I think that's entirely reasonable.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I dunno, seems like Jobs is changing his mind, the latest iPhone OS on the will be getting flash in addition to a true multitasking solution.

=X= is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, flash, ipad, iphone, steve.jobs