Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #16
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
You can always have it "remember" you, in which case the forum uses non-expiring cookies. The reason for a 900 seconds time-out is to reduce the risk if someone forgets to log out when borrowing someone else's computer.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
You can always have it "remember" you, in which case the forum uses non-expiring cookies. The reason for a 900 seconds time-out is to reduce the risk if someone forgets to log out when borrowing someone else's computer.
Plus, possibly, the fact that 15 minutes is the default session time-out?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #18
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The timeout can be defined, but yes, 15 minutes is quite common for the reason I explained.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #19
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
As I mentioned earlier I do not like the remember option either. And back in school it wouldn't be 15 seconds before some had done something stupid if I had left the computer unlocked, so 900 is plenty...

So in my opinion 15 minutes is just plain wrong and a few hours would be the correct choice.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:44 AM   #20
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I am sorry you disagree with 15 minutes idle time not being right for the timeout, nor with the option to disable the timeout all together, but this is all we can offer at this point.

One last idea that might help you for your specific need is to install some kind of cookie cruncher extension; you can then select in the forum the remember me option but still have your extension automatically remove the login cookie upon closing of your browser.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 11-07-2009 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas777 View Post
No worries but 900 seconds is only 15 minutes which is too short in my opinion. I have a habit of checking the front page and the "new posts"-page and opening the interesting stuff in new tabs. Then I read the tabs one by one and while doing that I may not do anything the server see as activity and, as they say, time flies when having fun...

120minutes would be better in my opinion, but it's your choice of course.
More time means more wasted resources. You really should use the remember me function to avoid this.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #22
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
One last idea that might help you for your specific need is to install some kind of cookie cruncher extension; you can then select in the forum the remember me option but still have your extension automatically remove the login cookie upon closing of your browser.
I believe Opera can do that off the box, there's an option to remove all personal information when closing the browser.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm always finding that MobileRead Forums has logged me off. Partially because we have pug who thinks he's got to go outside every 15 minutes when I get home in the morning, and if I don't take him right then and there, he takes drastic action. Most of the time when I return, I find I have been signed off. It's no big problem. Whenever I go to reply to a post, the sign-on screen appears with my username and password ready.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm always finding that MobileRead Forums has logged me off. Partially because we have pug who thinks he's got to go outside every 15 minutes when I get home in the morning, and if I don't take him right then and there, he takes drastic action. Most of the time when I return, I find I have been signed off. It's no big problem. Whenever I go to reply to a post, the sign-on screen appears with my username and password ready.
You can select keep me logged in and then logout manually when you wish.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas777 View Post
As I mentioned earlier I do not like the remember option either. And back in school it wouldn't be 15 seconds before some had done something stupid if I had left the computer unlocked, so 900 is plenty...

So in my opinion 15 minutes is just plain wrong and a few hours would be the correct choice.
Why don't you just use the "remember me" option and then logout when you are done? Or, use a private plug-in that kills all your cookies when you close the browser?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am having the same issue. The "remember me" boxen do not work. If I leave the page open for maybe 15 or 30 minutes, if I come back to browse around on MR, I am logged out. The primary annoyance of this is that I do not see the bold/not-bold indicators for what threads I've read or not. Is there a way to "No, Really Remember Me"?
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:32 AM   #27
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
My bad: I was (unknowingly) rejecting cookies for mobileread.com . Since I started accepting them, I haven't been logged out. Apologies for making noise.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote