Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #181
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
This is the same plagiarism thing that sparked a while ago yeah? I'm not sure what I feel about that. I understand you can bring legal action against those who accuse you of it in a public place in a way that you can demonstrate harms your capacity to earn - as long as you can demonstrate that it's not true.

However, if there is truth in it, I'm not sure where you could go.

Were there really threats of harm? I get very suspicious of interpretations of threats these days. I do remember that there seemed to be a free-for-all calling out of the author once it came to light. For a while I started seeing references to it without even looking, but that was a while ago. I can't even remember who the author was.

Ah - drama drama drama. If I ever really did release a book (of which I'm perpetually doubtful), I wonder what crazy shenanigans would ensue. I'm usually very philosophical about these things - might be interesting to see how I personally respond to it. Perhaps I can use my curiosity as motivation.
No this just happen I believe it was Sunday. Someone posted a review on GR accusing the author of Plagiarism. This is not a indie author either she was pick up by a mainstream publisher. The accusation was she stole certain scenes from a Twilight fanfic and modified it to her own. The author of the fanfic then brought all her fan girls with her to pitchfork the author who claims her innocence.

The author has disappeared claiming that she would seek legal counsel. Her books was pulled from Amazon including the S&S one last I look. This is not simple case plagiarism and the proof shown has not be totally convincing. The thing is the book is not available to check for yourself and there is no way I am taking a word from a stranger.

Yes the review threaten the author saying she would hunt her down and if she didn't take the book down that the fanfic B****es would come after her.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #182
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
It was my understanding the initial reviewer never actually reviewed the book. She said it too closely resembled the fanfic for her taste and posted excerpts of both to show why she was DNFing it. Then the author's fans went after the "reviewer" demanding "legal proof". The author's original editor chimed in to say that she had pointed out the seemingly plagiarized content to the author and when the author wouldn't change things withdrew from the project.

As with other plagiarism allegations in the past, it has now come out the author possibly plagiarized from multiple sources (in this case fanfics) not just one. Not sure what excerpts you read, but the ones I saw seem obviously copied.

ETA: I did not see what was posted on Goodreads, just what was posted on various blogs.

Last edited by library addict; 09-26-2013 at 12:39 PM.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #183
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
What does "DNFing" mean?
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #184
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
It was my understanding the initial reviewer never actually reviewed the book. She said it too closely resembled the fanfic for her taste and posted excerpts of both to show why she was DNFing it. Then the author's fans went after the "reviewer" demanding "legal proof". The author's original editor chimed in to say that she had pointed out the seemingly plagiarized content to the author and when the author wouldn't change things withdrew from the project.

As with other plagiarism allegations in the past, it has now come out the author possibly plagiarized from multiple sources (in this case fanfics) not just one. Not sure what excerpts you read, but the ones I saw seem obviously copied.

ETA: I did not see what was posted on Goodreads, just what was posted on various blogs.
Yeah but I have to see the two original sources before I can come to conclusion for my own. So many things can be edited or twisted and people just run with it.

The ones you probably saw are copied from a review. I wish Jane would run both sources through her software now I would accept that as proof.

I've been on the internet long enough not to draw conclusions unless I see actually valid proof. Like the last case with that Jordan guy I had read both books so it's was plain as day everything had been copied. This case I can't say who is right or wrong yet.

As for the former Editor we have no proof that they are actually really was the editor for her books or if she doesn't have a ax to grind.

Last edited by Blossom; 09-26-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #185
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
What does "DNFing" mean?
Did not finish
Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #186
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
What does "DNFing" mean?
Did Not Finish
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #187
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
What does "DNFing" mean?
Did Not Finish
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #188
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
... Three replies with the same timestamp.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #189
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #190
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Old 09-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #191
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yes the review threaten the author saying she would hunt her down and if she didn't take the book down that the fanfic B****es would come after her.
Seems a bit melodramatic doesn't it? If she had plagiarised couldn't references to the published fanfic be sent to the publisher? That would be a fairly quick way of having the book removed. I might be a little naive on this but a publisher wouldn't want to be associated with a plagiarism claim that has legs would they?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #192
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Seems a bit melodramatic doesn't it? If she had plagiarised couldn't references to the published fanfic be sent to the publisher? That would be a fairly quick way of having the book removed. I might be a little naive on this but a publisher wouldn't want to be associated with a plagiarism claim that has legs would they?
This particular book is self published. Author pulled the all her books till she could consort a lawyer. Of course seeing she is staying silent and not lashing back makes her a easy target. If it does turn out she did plagiarize and is guilty on this book there is really no one to draw that conclusion we just have a bunch of people from the fanfic world throwing stones.

I believe in innocent till proven guilty not many do anymore.

The problem is GR is doing nothing to pull these attacks on a author who may or maybe not be innocent but most of this is against GR's so called new guidelines.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #193
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
I mentioned a string of comments in a particular review. I'm not trying to assimilate all other known or unknown data like other ratings, shelf titles, media articles and PMS. I explained my reaction to what was going on in that review thread.

The review itself had pages of discussion. I'm not sure how much remains (if any). So I gave my reaction as a reader of that discussion and how the author seemed to be coping (or rather not) during that exchange. I then extrapolated what I thought her motivations might have been for her actions later and pondered the damage this has possibly done to her as an author. I'm not sure how that message is being lost. I'm not distorting anything in particular, except in the recognition that as time passes some details will not remain as clear.

I don't think I could possibly argue against some of the shelf names I've read being childish, but I must have missed the purpose for asking the question.
And your reaction to what was going on in that review thread has somehow managed to make you distort the sequence of events as you said: "She queried, there was a retaliation, she tried to back down, someone threw in the "special snowflake" comment and the author got offended and it seemed to devolve from there." It just didn't happen that way, as there was no retaliation and author backing down between the author questioning the rating and snowflake comment.

Quote:
This particular book is self published. Author pulled the all her books till she could consort a lawyer. Of course seeing she is staying silent and not lashing back makes her a easy target. If it does turn out she did plagiarize and is guilty on this book there is really no one to draw that conclusion we just have a bunch of people from the fanfic world throwing stones.

I believe in innocent till proven guilty not many do anymore.

The problem is GR is doing nothing to pull these attacks on a author who may or maybe not be innocent but most of this is against GR's so called new guidelines.
It doesn't sound like you are taking the innocent till proven guilty approach when it comes to the "fanfic B****es".
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #194
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post

It doesn't sound like you are taking the innocent till proven guilty approach when it comes to the "fanfic B****es".
I'm neutral but I can't condone the fanfic's fangirls behavior. Some are being civil but most aren't. I can't say who is in the wrong as I haven't seen valid proof just quotes and alot of anger.

If the author did do what they said. She has pulled the books but she needs return the money and make an apology but seldom does that ever happen.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #195
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
I'm neutral but I can't condone the fanfic's fangirls behavior. Some are being civil but most aren't. I can't say who is in the wrong as I haven't seen valid proof just quotes and alot of anger.

If the author did do what they said. She has pulled the books but she needs return the money and make an apology but seldom does that ever happen.
Aren't quotes the only valid proof for plagiarism?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote