Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #121
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I am seeing the behavior in all the various versions of sigil. 5.3, 5.906, 5.907. Do I need to just uninstall or eradicate all of them and try to install .907 again.

The word is there, until I try to put in a new one..that makes it disappear...Presto chango...it's too early for Halloween tricks!

Latest update...now the dictionary directory button points to hunspell_dictionaries, but the folder is empty. Those files are where the executable is under Program Files.

Dopey me, it may have pointed there all the time. I was looking at the navigation pane, where Favorites was highlit, but as I look above I see it points to user....hunspell dictionaries, an empty file. My excuse is I am fighting a cold today, so my brain is in neutral.

If I add three at once, they are all there, until I close the preference dialog box and then open and add another word. Adding the word, erases the previous ones. When the dialog box is reopened, they are not visible. The word stays in default until the preferences dialog is closed the second time, at the point, default changes to only include the new word.

Last edited by mrmikel; 10-26-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #122
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@mrmikel - right... so we have now established that the buttons did do what they were supposed to do and took you to the right locations.

To remove future confusion I have dropped the "Open Dictionary Location" button from 0.6. I think it made sense when there was only one user location but now there are three locations in total:
  • a hunspell_dictionaries folder in program files (for hunspell dictionaries bundled with sigil)
  • a user specific "hunspell_dictionaries" folder (for where you can add your own hunspell dictionaries)
  • a user specific "user_dictionaries" folder which just contains word lists from using the "add to dictionary" feature within Sigil.
You can get to the latter two folders using the "Open Preferences Location" button, and you should never go near the Program Files one so I think we are covered and simplified by doing this.

While I was typing this I see you have added more info which sounds interesting - I was going to suggest you keep the "default" file open in Notepad++ and take note of exactly after which actions the file content changes and how.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #123
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it possible to have more than one open at a time? I would love to have both English UK and English US so I don't have to add a lot of British spellings to my own dictionary.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #124
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mrmikel - I still can't find or see a way to break it, it behaves totally as expected for us. Without more detail or seeing it for ourselves I don't have anything I can suggest.

The code is relatively simple - every time you close the Preferences window, it will *completely overwrite* the currently selected word list file with whatever the words are that are displayed in the word list (assuming you made a change of some kind on that Spelling tab of Preferences).

Once those words are written to the file, it reloads the dictionary in Sigil based on the new contents of that file and that is what will be used when words are underlined in the open tabs.

When you add a word using a right-click in Code View, it immediately *appends* to that same file the word you right-clicked on.

Then when you go back into Preferences, it opens that same words list file, reads the words from it and that is what gets displayed to you. And hence the cycle could begin again...

As I mentioned above what you need to do is keep the "default" file open in Notepad++ and make a list of *exactly* what actions you are clicking on (not "summarised" - "add three at once" doesn't tell us whether you added the words using code view or on the Preferences dialog etc). And equally make note every time Noteapd++ tells you the "default" file has changed at the associated points and what it now contains. That may elicit more hints as to what is happening in combination with the information I have stated above.

And no it is not possible to have multiple dictionaries loaded at once currently, in theory it could be made to do so in a future version though it would slow down your Sigil startup time for sure.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #125
mrmikel
Color me gone

The adding new words has been through the Preferences dialog.

I clicked new, typed in the word and pressed enter. Repeat three times, then close the preferences window. They are all in default. Open preferences window, type in a new word, press enter, close the dialog box, then the new word wipes out the three previous words in default. When you close the dialog box then reopen, no list of words is visible.

What is interesting, is that it did not work this way until this morning. I could not enter new words through the preference dialog, it would not take them. It would not switch to entry mode so they could be typed in.

Will try this a bit later. It is already about 9 pm where you are even if it is just about 1 pm here.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #126
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Do you only have the default dictionary showing on the left? I wonder if you are adding to a different dictionary and switching back and forth.

You might want to try your previous suggestion - re-install. So make a copy of your clip_entries.ini and search_entries.ini files in the preferences directory and save them somewhere. You can also copy sigil.ini but there is less in there to preserve, or just copy all the files/directories in the sigil/ directory just to be safe.

Uninstall Sigil.

Remove the files/directories from the preferences directory (everything under sigil - this includes your dictionaries but you've said there is nothing in them...and you've copied them...)

Reboot

Re-install Sigil

Start Sigil.

Test adding words to the dictionary again.

You can then stop Sigil, copy back your clip_entries.ini and search_entries.ini to the preferences folder, and restart Sigil.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #127
mrmikel
Color me gone

I erased the 3 Sigil directories. It still would not add words. I got rid of the entire sigil-ebook directory in users. Now it is adding words by right click and displaying them. It now adds words by preferences box and keeps them.

If you would like, I can send you that whole user file and maybe you could figure out what went wrong, if it seems worthwhile to you.

It is working right, now. Thanks for all your help.

I have attached the file for whatever use it may have, as a zip.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bad-user-file.zip (1.96 MB, 108 views)

Last edited by mrmikel; 10-26-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Adding bad config file
Old 10-27-2012, 04:57 AM   #128
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for that file.

I can reproduce your issue using it. Specifically I can reproduce it using your "default" dictionary file.

It appears to be the blank lines at the top of the file, and a quick look indicates that the rest of the dictionary is ignored if it finds a blank line. How you got blank lines at the top I don't know, but we'll look into it. (EDIT: quite easily actually, since if you left blank entries in the list they would get sorted to the top...)

I noticed you had several dictionaries in the hunspell_dictionaries directory that appear to already be included in Sigil - so I was curious why you loaded them?

Last edited by meme; 10-27-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #129
mrmikel
Color me gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
I noticed you had several dictionaries in the hunspell_dictionaries directory that appear to already be included in Sigil - so I was curious why you loaded them?
I was getting desperate and trying anything to solve the problem.

The blank lines arose when for some reason the preferences box would not let me enter new words, but instead inserted blanks at each try and made the cursor jump up and down the list trying to match the word. You need to find out how it can get into that state, which is how the mess started.

I will report it if I see it again, but kiwidude's requests notwithstanding, I hope to never see it again!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #130
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@mrmikel - haha - actually I think we figured the cause of that out too. When you have a lot of words in your list, and you click on the "Add" button on the preferences widget, it creates the blank entry at the bottom of the list ready for you to type into. However it didn't scroll to that position, so you couldn't see it. Hence you ended up with blanks, and subsequent keypresses just jumped around the list.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #131
mrmikel
Color me gone

Totally excellent....

The only problem you guys are going to have before too long is surpassing yourselves!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #132
meme
Sigil developer

@mrmikel - we've fixed your issue with blank user dictionary entries causing problems and with the newly added entry not being visible just in time for release so you shouldn't see either again
Old 10-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #133
mrmikel
Color me gone

When .6 comes out, will it be necessary delete the existing beta files or will it be OK to just install into the existing directory?
Old 10-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #134
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
NEW ISSUE WITH 0.5.907 - I have found that if you create a clip like <span class="italic">\1</span> then highlight some text containing brackets the clip will not be inserted. The text remains highlighted, but the span is not inserted. This seems to hold for any clip with a \1 component. I hope I'm not reporting a known issue as I searched, but found nothing like it.

Kubuntu 12.10 system.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #135
meme
Sigil developer

You mean like the first post which says clips don't work if you select non-alphanumeric characters? Fixed already for the final release, but thanks for checking.
Closed Thread