Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your opinion about fonts?
I have my own reading-font favourites. 77 55.40%
I have thought about it, but the idea flew away with a breeze. 6 4.32%
Whatever is available on my device. 25 17.99%
I am not concerned at all, I just like to read. 31 22.30%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
The Font Effect.

I have an opinion and a question.

I think fonts play a very important role in giving a reader a sense of attachment. It adds emotion, style and attachment in a book.

Question:

I have this image of a scanned copy of a book (The Tipping Point) taken from "Look Inside" preview of the book at Amazon. It seems like pretty standard font, but the "Oldness" in it makes it pleasurable.

Also, what are your favourite fonts and why do you like them?

Last edited by Nexutix; 09-08-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't like that font used in that scanned image. The capitols are too big compared to the lowercase and look at ho the uppercase J descends below the lowercase. IT just doesn't work and will end up giving a somewhat large line height.

The font I do rather like is Charis SIL. From it, I generated a proper smallcap version. The default line-height is fairly small and the uppercase/lowercase ratio is rather good. The caps are not too big and the lowercase not too small. Plus, I was easily able to modify the font to increase the weight a little to make it look even better with an eink screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Bookman- Its noticeably larger than Times New Roman and a hair juicier than original Times, when rendered at 12 points. The result is a wonderful easy-reading text font. I used to use Bookman years ago when I got a LaserWriter Plus at a church rummage sale for $10, and I've always loved it. I'm extra- happy that I can get a FOSS lookalike called TexGyre Bonum. I just wish I could embed it into an ePub or KF8.

Kingthings' fonts- These are all FOSS display fonts with a very liberal license. I use some of them for making covers, and I'm thinking about trying to make title graphics as well. There's a little for everyone there.

Now for one going the other way... I freaking *hate* Times New Roman, going back to the first PC I had it on in 2002 or so. It renders small and light, and makes everything feel horribly crowded. Give me Palatino or New Century Schoolbook, or even the old New York font from classic MacOS, before giving me Times New Roman.

Last edited by teh603; 09-08-2012 at 10:37 PM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I don't care too much about the specific font, as long as it's not sans-serif.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I totally agree that sans-serif is not good for the main font when reading.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I don't care for fonts, media or cover, just the stream of characters.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Bookman- Its noticeably larger than Times New Roman and a hair juicier than original Times, when rendered at 12 points. The result is a wonderful easy-reading text font. I used to use Bookman years ago when I got a LaserWriter Plus at a church rummage sale for $10, and I've always loved it. I'm extra- happy that I can get a FOSS lookalike called TexGyre Bonum. I just wish I could embed it into an ePub or KF8.
Why can't you embed them into an ePub or KF8? The license say you just need to change the names. That's quite simple to do.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
I'm with you: I know people who love Arial - I think it should be killed with fire.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I prefer San-Serif, and convert my epubs to it (for those that will allow me to change the font).

I'm not sure I have a favorite font - I prefer Verdana and Tahoma to Arial, and I like Calibri. I prefer the weight to be "medium" (not too heavy or too light) and the letters to be rounder rather than tall and skinny. The last is probably because my glasses have always been high-prescription, but now as I get older, it's only worse. I'm becoming Mr. Magoo (can't see shite without them!)
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #10
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why can't you embed them into an ePub or KF8? The license say you just need to change the names. That's quite simple to do.
Its more a case of difficulty in finding tools to automate that process and making sure everything works right. Not all of us are up to coding their own ePubs from scratch. My major was Creative Writing, after all, not Computer Science or Web Design.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Pretty much how I feel as well.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Its more a case of difficulty in finding tools to automate that process and making sure everything works right. Not all of us are up to coding their own ePubs from scratch. My major was Creative Writing, after all, not Computer Science or Web Design.
Do what I do. I have a text file with the code for the fonts and the body as well as code needed to put into the OPF file. All I have to do is copy and past and I know I have it correct. But there are some cases where I might need to change the path and that's not hard to do.

Want me to post the code for the paths as defined by Sigil?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
kleinste
Nameless Being

I prefer fonts which are small, condensed, serif and heavy - but I don't have a favourite font.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #14
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Pretty much how I feel, especially for long works -- for shorter works, especially if they're broken up with illustrations, I'm more forgiving of sans-serif.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #15
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
I have an opinion and a question.

I think fonts play a very important role in giving a reader a sense of attachment. It adds emotion, style and attachment in a book.

Question:

I have this image of a scanned copy of a book (The Tipping Point) taken from "Look Inside" preview of the book at Amazon. It seems like pretty standard font, but the "Oldness" in it makes it pleasurable.

Also, what are your favourite fonts and why do you like them?
I'm not an expert, but I *think* that font is a version of Palatino. It was created in 1948 and is probably the most common font used in German books (although I don't think that there is usually quite that much spacing between the letters). Whenever I see that font, I feel like I'm reading something in German.

I like fonts with serifs and tend not to like fonts without (for reading). I like a lot of different fonts, for different reasons. I've always liked how high the vertical strokes are in this particular font. Whatever that means...
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts