Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
AlexKidd
Enthusiast
AlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox 60, Onyx Boox Max Carta, Wexler Flex One
CoolReader stores all the epubs in an internal cache?

Recently I have experienced some problem with my Boox, fortunately solved with external help (Koudijs) and heavy use of the utelnetd ( http://users.openinkpot.org/~lunohod/onyx/ )

With the exploration through utelnetd I have discovered the directory /root/.cr3/cache/
This directory contains Megabytes of data! All the epub files opened with CoolReader are permanently stored here!

But I have an Onyx Boox 60 with an old firmware (1.5.1 - 20110927)
I hope who in the most recent version of the firmware, the last version of CoolReader does not store a copy of each epub opened.

I appeal to the owners of a M92/A62/I62 reader:
Someone can verify it?
AlexKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
AlexKidd
Enthusiast
AlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheese

If you use CoolReader on a M92 please try this:

Create an empty file.oar and write these simples command inside it

Code:
#!/bin/sh

du -d 1 -h /root/.cr3/ >> $0.size.txt
ls -latr /root/.cr3/cache/ >> $0.list.txt
and put this file in the SD (the root o an any folder) then execute it with OK button (or select it with the stylus)
Two new files are created in the same folder. This file contains the size of the /root/.cr3/cache/ directory (size.txt) and, if exists, the list of the epubs opened (list.txt)

I don't want to infringe your privacy and don't want to know the content of the second file (list.txt) but I want to know if also (you who have a recent version of the firmware) your CoolReader stores each epubs opened.

If you can please report also the exactly version of your firmware
Old 04-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post
I want to know if also (you who have a recent version of the firmware) your CoolReader stores each epubs opened.
Sure CoolReader stores epubs in the cache. The cache size is limited by 128Mb, after reaching this limit the oldest entry will be removed from the cache. In the FW 1.7 the cache is not located in /root but in the user visible area /media/flash/cr3/cache
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
AlexKidd
Enthusiast

This is (almost) a good news

Thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
Sure CoolReader stores epubs in the cache. The cache size is limited by 128Mb, after reaching this limit the oldest entry will be removed from the cache. In the FW 1.7 the cache is not located in /root but in the user visible area /media/flash/cr3/cache
Well, good to know... this is really, really stupid! Writing a flash storage again and again for no good reason at all.

Thank you again for pointing this out!
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've said that CoolReader stores epubs in the cache since for the user it looks so and nothing changed in this regard in the 1.7 version except for location of the cache directory. But actually it doesn't store the epubs (it wouldn't make much sense). CoolReader stores its representation of the epubs so that it doesn't need to reparse the file, split it to the pages next time you open it. That makes opening the file for the second time much faster than the first one.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:15 AM   #7
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
Is it possible to extract citations?
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote