Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #76
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No I don't use USB they show up that way okay but Sideloading via Dropbox, ES File Explorer or WiFi Explorer they wont show up till I reboot.
I use DropBox as well Blossom. Unless we're doing it a different way. After I download the file, I copy it and paste it in the Books folder. Then click on it. It prompts you to choose an app to open with. Select Amazon Kindle. The reader app doesn't open, but when you go into 'Books" it's there.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #77
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Blossom or SamL (Or anyone using Fire with Calibre), I wonder if you might take a minute to confirm something that will potentially help Kovid. I noticed that (after updating and using calibre to send a book to my Fire) a second connection AFTER sending a book, does not result in calibre detecting the book(s) I sent to the device on the first connection. So if you wanted to try that, then post your findings here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=157218&page=3

It might help to get this resolved. Or, at least, tell me that the problem is my end.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #78
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
No I don't use USB they show up that way okay but Sideloading via Dropbox, ES File Explorer or WiFi Explorer they wont show up till I reboot.
That's strange. It really shouldn't matter how you sideload them because once they are copied to the Fire they should show up.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #79
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
Sweet! I got it working. Instead of just taking out [PDOC] I changed it to [EBOK] and it did the trick. Someone mentioned this in the thread gweminence linked above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Blossom or SamL (Or anyone using Fire with Calibre), I wonder if you might take a minute to confirm something that will potentially help Kovid. I noticed that (after updating and using calibre to send a book to my Fire) a second connection AFTER sending a book, does not result in calibre detecting the book(s) I sent to the device on the first connection. So if you wanted to try that, then post your findings here:

It might help to get this resolved. Or, at least, tell me that the problem is my end.
Calibre seem to noticed that the book did indeed go to my device. I'll post this there too.
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #80
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamL View Post
Sweet! I got it working. Instead of just taking out [PDOC] I changed it to [EBOK] and it did the trick. Someone mentioned this in the thread gweminence linked above.

That's good to know. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #81
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post

Oh I see what your saying now. Yes I have that issue too, if I eject and reconnect, Calibre does not see my books on my device.
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #82
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I use DropBox as well Blossom. Unless we're doing it a different way. After I download the file, I copy it and paste it in the Books folder. Then click on it. It prompts you to choose an app to open with. Select Amazon Kindle. The reader app doesn't open, but when you go into 'Books" it's there.
I'm not getting prompted for that can you give me more step by step instructions I must be missing something.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #83
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I'm not getting prompted for that can you give me more step by step instructions I must be missing something.
OK,
  1. Find the book using the Dropbox app.
  2. Select it
  3. It says "No viewer available" Download.
  4. Select "Download" (You'll see the notification in the upper left of your screen informing you of the download)
  5. Use a file explorer and locate the "Dropbox" folder.
  6. Find the file you just downloaded
  7. Select it
  8. It says "Open As..." with "Music", "Video", "Text", "Choose Applications" as the choices
  9. Select "Choose Applications"
  10. It says "Complete action using"
  11. Select "Amazon Kindle"
  12. The prompt closes and you return to your file explorer.
  13. When you go to "Books' the file should be there. Look for it under "Title" to be sure you're not missing it under "Recent". It doesn't appear to go to the top of the pile.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #84
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK,
  1. Find the book using the Dropbox app.
  2. Select it
  3. It says "No viewer available" Download.
  4. Select "Download" (You'll see the notification in the upper left of your screen informing you of the download)
  5. Use a file explorer and locate the "Dropbox" folder.
  6. Find the file you just downloaded
  7. Select it
  8. It says "Open As..." with "Music", "Video", "Text", "Choose Applications" as the choices
  9. Select "Choose Applications"
  10. It says "Complete action using"
  11. Select "Amazon Kindle"
  12. The prompt closes and you return to your file explorer.
  13. When you go to "Books' the file should be there. Look for it under "Title" to be sure you're not missing it under "Recent". It doesn't appear to go to the top of the pile.
There's no choose application option.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #85
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Maybe because I have File Expert installed. I use it on my Sony Tablet. I checked, it's in the Amazon store as well. I do have ES File Explorer as well, but if you're not getting that choice, maybe it's a limitation of that app.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #86
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Maybe because I have File Expert installed. I use it on my Sony Tablet. I checked, it's in the Amazon store as well. I do have ES File Explorer as well, but if you're not getting that choice, maybe it's a limitation of that app.
Okay that's why! I will go install that one then. Though I saw Astro will let you set file associations so gonna try that as well.

I got it!! I had to move it into the book or document folder.
Thank you!!!

Last edited by Blossom; 11-18-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #87
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
So are all of you taking out the [pdoc] tag in calibre?

Are you inserting the [ebok] tag too?

What's the advantage of leaving the [pdoc] tag in?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #88
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:

This means some other App is trying to open the file by default instead of the Kindle Reader App. Check post # 82 in this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=157184&page=6

Whenever you find the offending App and clear the Launch By Default you will receive this message when opening a file. I believe SCION never checked the Use by default for this action when opening the file and receiving the Complete action using pop-up. There is a check mark box on this pop-up and checking it will always cause the Fire to try and open a particular file with whatever App you may have told it to. For example, if you use Mantano for PDF by default it could be interfering with the Kindle Reader App which I believe will also open PDFs on the Fire.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-18-2011 at 04:42 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #89
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
This means some other App is trying to open the file by default instead of the Kindle Reader App.

Whenever you find the offending App and clear the Launch By Default you will receive this message when opening a file. I believe SCION never checked the Use by default for this action when opening opening the file.
No there is no option in ES File Explorer for this. I wish there was.

How to Sideload Mobi books without Restarting

Install the File Expert app first.

1. Add the mobi books to the Books or Documents folder.

2. Open File Expert and navigate to the folder you just put your books in.

3. Touch a book then hit Choose Applications from the options that pop up.

Note: The first time it will give you a list of apps to pick from. Check Use by default box at the bottom and choose the Kindle app to open the book.

The next time you open a book in File Expert you'll only have to touch Choose Applications and it will auto open with the Kindle app.

4. Do this for each book you've sideloaded. If you sideload via USB the books should appear after you hit disconnect from your PC and there's no need for File Expert but if you use Dropbox or another downloading method. This is the only way I know without having to restart the Fire.

Note: The Kindle app wont open when you touch a book. it opens in the background where you can't see it but it should have worked.

Now go check out the Books or Documents shelves and you will now see the books you've just side loaded appear!

Credit goes to SCION.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-22-2011 at 01:44 AM. Reason: To fix grammar and make it easiser to read.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #90
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
So are all of you taking out the [pdoc] tag in calibre?

Are you inserting the [ebok] tag too?

What's the advantage of leaving the [pdoc] tag in?

Carol
Nothing for the Fire. Before it gave you the option to delete the book from your Kindle instead of remove from device but now with the Personal documents cloud it's not really needed because it's added when you email it to your Kindle.