Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 04:25 AM   #1
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Question Output file naming convention settings?

This may be a stupid question. But where in the user interface can I change the naming convention for converted files?
(Currently Calibre uses title - author.mobi, but I'd rather use author - title.mobi.)
Also while we're at the topic. I occasionally convert foreign language books from epub to mobi, but it seems that Calibre is ignoring the language metadata in the epub and changes the language of the converted mobi file to English, if the UI language is English, which is rather annoying, because the Kindle OS uses the language information in mobi files for automatic dictionary selection.
I really hate having to change the UI language and restarting Calibre each time I process a non-English book just to make sure that the mobi file is encoded with the correct language.
There must be an easier way to do this with Calibre.

Last edited by Doitsu; 09-23-2011 at 04:31 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
This may be a stupid question. But where in the user interface can I change the naming convention for converted files?
(Currently Calibre uses title - author.mobi, but I'd rather use author - title.mobi.)
The file name / directory structure within calibre's library is not user configurable, read this sticky. That said, when you export books from calibre via Save to disk or Send to device the filename is completely user configurable via the save templates in the preference area for each of those features.

I can't help you with the language conversion.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Also while we're at the topic. I occasionally convert foreign language books from epub to mobi, but it seems that Calibre is ignoring the language metadata in the epub and changes the language of the converted mobi file to English, if the UI language is English, which is rather annoying, because the Kindle OS uses the language information in mobi files for automatic dictionary selection.
I really hate having to change the UI language and restarting Calibre each time I process a non-English book just to make sure that the mobi file is encoded with the correct language.
There must be an easier way to do this with Calibre.
With the latest Calibre releases you can set the language in the Edit Metadata dialog. If you are doing that and it is not making it into the converted file I would think that it is a bug.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
That said, when you export books from calibre via Save to disk or Send to device the filename is completely user configurable via the save templates in the preference area for each of those features.
I've found out that this setting is hidden under Preferences > Import/Export > Saving books to disk > Save template.
Even though I changed it from the default {author_sort}/{title}/{title} - {authors} to {author_sort}/{title}/{authors} - {title} Calibre still saves my converted mobi book as {title} - {authors}.mobi. IMHO, this is a major bug.

At least the language setting works in the latest version (8.20).
Old 09-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I've found out that this setting is hidden under Preferences > Import/Export > Saving books to disk > Save template.
Even though I changed it from the default {author_sort}/{title}/{title} - {authors} to {author_sort}/{title}/{authors} - {title} Calibre still saves my converted mobi book as {title} - {authors}.mobi. IMHO, this is a major bug.

At least the language setting works in the latest version (8.20).
You're doing something wrong - Calibre will most assuredly respect the file naming format that you specify.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're doing something wrong - Calibre will most assuredly respect the file naming format that you specify.
He is expecting that setting to apply to books in calibre's library instead of the Save to disk operation.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
'fraid not.

Please find attached a dummy epub file with valid author (John Doe) and title (Lorem ipsum) metadata.
Try the following: temporarily change your Saving books to disk template setting to {author_sort}/{title}/{authors} - {title} and import the epub file to Calibre. Then convert the epub file to the mobi format.

You'll end up with a book folder with the following files in it:

Lorem ipsum - John Doe.mobi
Lorem ipsum - John Doe.epub
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	settings.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	76903   Click image for larger version

Name:	library.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	76904  
Attached Files
File Type: epub test.epub (2.9 KB, 272 views)
Old 09-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
He is expecting that setting to apply to books in calibre's library instead of the Save to disk operation.
Ideally yes. I read the sticky and know that I apparently cannot the change the internal folder structure. However, what I don't understand is that I cannot change the naming convention of converted files. Or am I missing something here?
Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cannot control *anything* inside the library folders.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ideally yes. I read the sticky and know that I apparently cannot the change the internal folder structure. However, what I don't understand is that I cannot change the naming convention of converted files. Or am I missing something here?
Yes. What you're missing is the fact that Calibre's library folder needs to be regarded as a "black box"; you don't touch what's in there. To get a book out of the library you use either the "Save to Disk" or "Send to Device" options from within Calibre. It's when you export the book using those options that the selected naming options come into play.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes. What you're missing is the fact that Calibre's library folder needs to be regarded as a "black box"; you don't touch what's in there. To get a book out of the library you use either the "Save to Disk" or "Send to Device" options from within Calibre. It's when you export the book using those options that the selected naming options come into play.
Thanks to everybody, who has replied, I finally figured out that I actually have to to use the "Save to Disk" option to have Calibre save the output file with the name that I want.
I erroneously assumed that the Save to Disk settings would also be used for book import.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Happy to help .

Tags
conversion, file name, language, metadata