Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
RealAct
RealAct began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Kindle
Not remembering last page read

I'm having an issue where every time I put away my NOOK then come back to read later or the next day, it forgot what page I was on reading, this is really annoying as if I happen to forget to make a bookmark on the page before I put the device away, I have to spend precious time trying to figure out where it is it that I stopped reading.

Not only that the "Reading Now" feature sometimes also shows up the wrong page, I remember this used to be an issue with the NOOK Classic when I had it, this never happens with my Kindle, am I missing a setting, is this a bug or normal behavior?
RealAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I would do a factory reset and see if that solves the problem. If not, then return it or request a replacement if ordered online.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
That is not normal behavior and I haven't experienced it with mine.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
RealAct

Thanks!

Hmmm have you guys tried with sideloaded books?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No problem remembering last page read with sideloaded content.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealAct View Post
I'm having an issue where every time I put away my NOOK then come back to read later or the next day, it forgot what page I was on reading, this is really annoying as if I happen to forget to make a bookmark on the page before I put the device away, I have to spend precious time trying to figure out where it is it that I stopped reading.

Not only that the "Reading Now" feature sometimes also shows up the wrong page, I remember this used to be an issue with the NOOK Classic when I had it, this never happens with my Kindle, am I missing a setting, is this a bug or normal behavior?
Happened to me once. did you connect the nook str to the PC by any chance?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
It happened to me once right after I sideloaded a book. After the sideload, I then opened the book I had been reading and it opened to the cover instead of the last page I was on. So it looks like there may be a bug in this area. Other than that one time, I haven't had a problem.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
RealAct

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Happened to me once. did you connect the nook str to the PC by any chance?
Yes, I have been connecting it and disconnecting it from the PC to upload new books etc.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Yes, I have been connecting it and disconnecting it from the PC to upload new books etc.
I thought so, I believe the issue is around that area. The internal partition, and the SD card, are unmounted when you connect to the PC (so they become available to the PC). At that time, if the reader app tries to access the book, it would get an error. Maybe this is not being handled correctly and is causing the reset of the last page read.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
RealAct

Thanks SCION, user_none, afv011 and RAH, it looks like the problem actually happens whenever I connect the NOOK to the PC to either upload new books or to charge, it never happens when I just put it away normally, I used to finish reading and just put it back to charge with the USB adapter, I guess I will start charging it with the regular charger and be sure to make a bookmark before I connect it to the PC, but this is definitely a bug in the software!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Thanks SCION, user_none, afv011 and RAH, it looks like the problem actually happens whenever I connect the NOOK to the PC to either upload new books or to charge, it never happens when I just put it away normally, I used to finish reading and just put it back to charge with the USB adapter, I guess I will start charging it with the regular charger and be sure to make a bookmark before I connect it to the PC, but this is definitely a bug in the software!
You should report this to Barnes and Noble, so that they can fix it in the next firmware update.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #12
RealAct

Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
You should report this to Barnes and Noble, so that they can fix it in the next firmware update.
Will do, I think there's a bug report feature on the NOOK settings?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
timetrap
timetrap began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
I have a similar issue:

The book I am currently reading only displays "1 of 1" page from the "currently reading" screen. When I select the book from here Library screen the book resets and displays the cover.

However, if I select the book from the list of books in the library or from a shelf I am returned to the near the place I was reading (usually within one or two pages). The page count is displayed as expected while reading (in this case 255).

This only happens with a few books imported with Calibre.

It seems like the nook has two different places it keeps the information for page location.
timetrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetrap View Post
I have a similar issue:

The book I am currently reading only displays "1 of 1" page from the "currently reading" screen. When I select the book from here Library screen the book resets and displays the cover.

However, if I select the book from the list of books in the library or from a shelf I am returned to the near the place I was reading (usually within one or two pages). The page count is displayed as expected while reading (in this case 255).

This only happens with a few books imported with Calibre.

It seems like the nook has two different places it keeps the information for page location.
I had this happen once. Rebooting solved the problem.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
PunkMeUp
PunkMeUp began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Basic Kindle (5)
Well.. over 2 years later and I am having the exact same problem on my Nook Simple touch as described by RealAct. Glad they fixed it :/
PunkMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote