Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Almost destroyed my K1

I was reading last night and set my Kindle down on my nightstand instead of getting out of bed and putting in back on top of the computer as I usually do, lazy me. This afternoon I was changing out the bulb in the floor lamp next to the nightstand. I pulled it forward to reach the bulb when I heard a sickening *clunk." I'd been using an old trophy to keep the lamp from moving, it's kind of wobbly, and I'd pulled the lamp forward enough to knock this heavy trophy right over on top of my Kindle!

Thankfully, for some reason I'd set the Kindle down upside down, and I always keep it in its case. I think those two things saved the screen from fracturing. So far there aren't any signs of cracks, and the display seems to be working okay.

I nearly had a heart attack when I realized what I'd done.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Glad it is okay! I broke the screen on my K1 while traveling. If you had, you would know it immediately.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Eeep! I'm glad it is okay.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Would have been a GREAT excuse to the the K3!
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Glad it is okay! I broke the screen on my K1 while traveling. If you had, you would know it immediately.
Oh ya... I dropped my first K2 on a concrete floor. Apparently landed on the top left corner. Diagonal crack across corner. Top 2-3 inches of display blank. Nice folks sent me an exchange, delivered second-day.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
Would have been a GREAT excuse to the the K3!
I don't think anyone needs an excuse to buy a K3.

Amazing the number of people still actively using the original K1 to this day. I wonder how many people are using the original iphone? Not many me thinks.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
Mike 01Hawk
Enthusiast
Mike 01Hawk doesn't litterMike 01Hawk doesn't litter

Device: K3 Wifi Graphite :)
You'd be surprised Solicitous. Contrary to what social media leads you to believe, there are quite a few of us 'old fogies' quite content with 'last generation' items.

BTW I'm 33 and recently 'upgraded' to a refurbished Motorola Razr for a whopping $20 USD.
Mike 01Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I was thinking the same thing about it being a good excuse to get a K3.

We can't really compare cell phones to eBook readers. Cell phones have gotten drastically more capable from one generation to the next. At least for the non-phone features. eBook reader improvements have been more incremental. The increased contrast of the K3 is the biggest feature to come around in quite a while.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I do actually have a k3 on order, so it would have just been a pure "Oh no!" moment. I've been happily using my K1 since I got it, but the screen on the K3 looks so much better, I couldn't pass it up.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
...I nearly had a heart attack when I realized what I'd done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
...Amazing the number of people still actively using the original K1 to this day....
I still use my K1 almost every day and still love it just as much as when I first got it. I'm hopeful, however, that the improvements in the K3 will make me wonder how I ever got along without it!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote