Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #91
sosuke
sosuke began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
On the chinese forum there is a second link for rapidshare that works.

http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...extra=page%3D1
sosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #92
querty
querty began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Hi
I made all you said
but after pressing 5
I have:
Sorry, this firmware version is not supported: 505.1.1.00.18040

anything wrong on my part ?
querty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #93
geekq
geekq began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
This hack and the EPUB format

I use Sony PRS-505 with the firmware version 1.4.00.23260 (for the German market). After following the steps I could immediately see the titles of the books in cyrillic. Thanks!

But it drove me crazy to get the EPUB without embedded font files to work. Only the comment #86 implicitly says that the hack does not have any impact on EPUB format.

1. Can you confirm this (does not work for EPUB)? You could probably clarify this in your first post so people do not waste time trying to get EPUB work.

2. If it is true, have you any idea how to change default fonts used to render EPUB. The only workaround known to me is to unzip the .epub file, change style sheets to reference some fonts folder on the reader, to zip again and transfer to reader like

/* Following makes font-family:DejaVuSansMono available */
@font-face {
font-family: "DejaVuSansMono";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/DejaVuSansMono.ttf);
}

3. Does the Reader support some sort of "exploded" epub format or plain HTML (without zipping)?

Thanks!
geekq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:48 AM   #94
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekq View Post
1. Can you confirm this (does not work for EPUB)? You could probably clarify this in your first post so people do not waste time trying to get EPUB work.
Yes, this hack does not work with EPUB. EPUB stands completely apart, the only place where EPUB's content is rendered by Sony fonts is within menu (e.g. when title and author are displayed, or in the History submenu).

Quote:
2. If it is true, have you any idea how to change default fonts used to render EPUB.
See this thread of mine: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66102

Quote:
3. Does the Reader support some sort of "exploded" epub format or plain HTML (without zipping)?
As far as I know, it doesn't support either. There may be some way to abuse Adobe Digital Editions to render them, but if there is, nobody cared to publish it yet.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #95
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekq View Post
You could probably clarify this in your first post so people do not waste time trying to get EPUB work.
The thread was started a year before EPUB support came to Sony. I don't know if the OP is still around to update it, or if it is worth it at all.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:55 AM   #96
Bittergourd
Bittergourd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Does anyone know how to execute this font mapping method under PRS plus 1.02?
Bittergourd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:38 AM   #97
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittergourd View Post
Instructions here: http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/InstallGuide

css and associated fonts for a examples: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...7&d=1268260943
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #98
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittergourd View Post
Instructions here: http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/InstallGuide

css and associated fonts for a examples: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...7&d=1268260943
I don't know that this will help Bittergourd since this thread is about getting the fonts for LRF to work and I believe your solution, while most excellent, is for getting custom fonts on ePub to work.

Of course if he has the unicode fonts that he needs then this would work for his ePub books.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:57 AM   #99
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
By the way, regarding "why do they format IM" mistery, the code for "format internal memory" inside the UI does the following:

set exit code to -3
restart

Bittergourd
You can put prsp.sh file into /database/system/PRSPlus folder, it's content gets executed on reader startup, (but only if the reader is not connected via USB, this allows one to "unbrick" from broken script situations).

To replace default fonts one could use "chinese" way:

1) Put the new fonts into /fonts folder in the internal memory (you can actually use any folder name /something/somethingelse/blabla would also work, just change the script accordingly).

2) Put prsp.sh file, containing the following line (/Data is the path to the root of internal memory):
mount --bind /Data/fonts /opt/sony/ebook/FONT

NOTE:
a) usual font restrictions still apply: i.e. file names, font names
b) if you decide to change fonts in /fonts folder, don't forget to remove the "mount" statement and reboot first (Internal memory access via USB is already buggy, God knows what files will get corrupted if you will try to overwrite locked files)
c) watch out for windows style eols (\r\n - wrong, \n - right)
d) if something goes wrong, don't worry, simply reset the reader and quickly connect it to USB, prsp.sh will not get executed

Hope this helps.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #100
avguy
avguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I tried this, but my Sony PRS-505 still can't display Vietnamese properly. Can someone help? Thanks!
avguy is offline   Reply With Quote