Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2021, 09:09 PM   #31
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
In my opinion - Libra H20 on the left. And patches are used there.
I bet you’re wrong
The buttons look like the Libra 2
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:11 PM   #32
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I mixed up
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2021, 09:52 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
...i do prefer the overall thickness of the Libra 2 compared to the Libra H2O.
My knee-jerk reaction was to prefer the wedge shape of the H2O. But the more I see/hear about the Libra 2 makes me think it is the superior device.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:06 PM   #34
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
My knee-jerk reaction was to prefer the wedge shape of the H2O. But the more I see/hear about the Libra 2 makes me think it is the superior device.
I prefer Libra 2's features but somehow I feel i like the H2O's physical design is better for me. The wedge shape of the handle clearly provides a separation of the handle with the framed screen (even the button side panel has a clear bezel for the screen). The libra 2's smooth melding of the bezel to the handle somehow irritates my OC self.

I also prefer the centered placement of the buttons as my personal reading habit is to place my thumb on the next button all the time and just press it when i need to turn the page forward. i do not move my thumb sideways shifting to handle to page turner buttons.

But the better contrast is really exciting me to upgrade because it will definitely help my ageing eyes.

in short, I am torn between two aspects of practical benefits from the two models.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:16 PM   #35
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
i prefer the Libra 2 precisely because it lacks the wedge of the Libra H2O.
apparently the H2O as fixed memory/storage like my original Aura 6" i'm interested to know why Kobo have gone with an SD card in the Libra 2. maybe the SD card is a good idea if it isn't glued in, although it probably will be

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2021, 10:40 PM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
apparently the H2O as fixed memory/storage like my original Aura 6" i'm interested to know why Kobo have gone with an SD card in the Libra 2. maybe the SD card is a good idea if it isn't glued in, although it probably will be
I don't think it will be "glued" in as such. But, there will be some sort of sealant around it that will have to be removed before the card can be removed. From the posted photos, that is obvious on some of the connectors, but, not around the card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:19 AM   #37
aussetg
aussetg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'm pretty disappointed by the SD card. eMMC is much faster an much more resilient....
aussetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:23 AM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussetg View Post
I'm pretty disappointed by the SD card. eMMC is much faster an much more resilient....
Except that they can't be replaced when they fail or removed and a larger one put in. And honestly, for the actions involved with these devices, it is unlikely that the speed difference will have a noticeable difference.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:50 AM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Irrelevant except to save giant HDR photos, shoot video or replace an HDD in a laptop/desktop.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:21 AM   #40
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
On your last photo, it is clearly visible that a moisture-proof coating is applied to the cable. So a removable sd card is really a surprise.
The moisture-proof coating looks janky to me. Like someone dabbed a bit from a hot glue gun and called it a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid View Post
The weight is not where you hold it. Why put the battery in the middle when it was designed to be held on the edge! Kobo have half arsed it!!!
The batter in the Libra 2 is in the same location as on the Libra H2O and holding the H2O was never an issue, and never felt off balanced.

Quote:
Between the two I don't even notice the shape, size, or weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
I also prefer the centered placement of the buttons as my personal reading habit is to place my thumb on the next button all the time and just press it when i need to turn the page forward. i do not move my thumb sideways shifting to handle to page turner buttons.
I like the new button placement for the same reason you don't. It give me more space for my thumb to hold the reader, and then I move my thumb to press the button.

Quote:
I'm super excited about the SD Card. It allows for options and possibilities that eMMC just doesn't.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #41
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Received my Libra H2O replacement and my Libra2.

First impressions about the screen are really positive! (to be confirmed later after more time spent with it)

Quick tests on a manga and a book between Paperwhite 4, Voyage, Libra H2O and Libra 2
Sadly, I don't have my Oasis anymore (gave it to my mum). I will post photos later.

On manga, I would class them on this order :
Libra H2O < PW4 < Libra2 < Voyage

On reading a book :
PW4 < Libra H2O < Libra 2 <= Voyage

The voyage is still the best screen IMO, but the Libra2 is getting really close! For reading books, I won't have any issue going back and forth the Voyage and Libra2.

Also, the front light color is way more natural / uniform on the Libra2, not perfect probably, but really good for me. and we can't see the led lights anymore on the side. That's a big improvement.

Last thing, I'm not sure, to be confirmed but I feel the tactile is more accurate / responsive on the Libra2 compared to the original. I haven't seen myself type twice or 3 times on an icon trying to do an action for example, while it happens so many times to me on the original Libra.

Last thing, no improvement on speed, import speed, but this was expected sadly ( even if I feel the fact that the touch part being more accurate might improve the experience overall)
Old 10-21-2021, 06:02 PM   #42
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
On looking at it for a bit, my main first impression is that the smallest possible line spacing option is huge and that it's unfortunate that we probably have a while to wait before the patches become available again.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:34 AM   #43
doki43
Enthusiast
doki43 began at the beginning.

Device: none
How are the physical turn page buttoms? Are they squishy like the H2O? Are they clickable at any part of the button?
doki43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #44
Almamida
Guru

I would say they are pretty similar, producing about the same click, but they are more defined and the course seems better on the Libra2, making them a bit more satisfying.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:13 AM   #45
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Libra 2 review in English

https://youtu.be/YVwYPWEewl8
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote