Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #16
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
The themes and books are also at the beginning of this thread, along with the links to the lists of books which have won in the past in the other two clubs and are therefore currently ineligible.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's All Relative, time-ly books

Meaning "Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey" type books are allowed for sure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Can someone point me to the thread where the "It's all relative" theme was discussed? I'm not clear on what it means--I assume (hope) it's more than time travel.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Can someone point me to the thread where the "It's all relative" theme was discussed? I'm not clear on what it means--I assume (hope) it's more than time travel.
I did a search for it and I could not even find where it was suggested.

I'd like to know why one of the suggestions isn't being used.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #20
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Please remember that when issybird announced the first three themes (in December) there were no suggestions yet, they were set to give us a starting point and an idea of how themes are supposed to work.

To answer Catlady's question about what "it's all relative, time-ly books" means, I think you can take it however you want. Books with a time related word in the title (Time and Again - Fantasy; Not After Midnight - Short fiction; Ladder of Years - Fiction), a time travel type book (A Sound of Thunder), or something about physics related to time (Understanding Einstein's Theories Of Relativity). Or, you can ignore the "timely books" portion and use just the relative part and get a book about relatives or with a relative in the title(My Cousin Rachel, Uncle Tom's Cabin, etc.) I think the time related words are what is intended but that's ok.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2018, 06:00 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
My interpretation is that it is anything related to time, which does not necessarily mean time travel. It can be about the passage of time within the plot/text. I have also looked for books that have expressions of time within the titles: e.g. dates, seasons, seconds/minutes/hours/days, twilight/dawn/midnight/noon, etc.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #22
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Please remember that when issybird announced the first three themes (in December) there were no suggestions yet, they were set to give us a starting point and an idea of how themes are supposed to work.

To answer Catlady's question about what "it's all relative, time-ly books" means, I think you can take it however you want. Books with a time related word in the title (Time and Again - Fantasy; Not After Midnight - Short fiction; Ladder of Years - Fiction), a time travel type book (A Sound of Thunder), or something about physics related to time (Understanding Einstein's Theories Of Relativity). Or, you can ignore the "timely books" portion and use just the relative part and get a book about relatives or with a relative in the title(My Cousin Rachel, Uncle Tom's Cabin, etc.) I think the time related words are what is intended but that's ok.
Thanks. Since I came to this late I didn't know what discussions had taken place when the club was in the planning stages.

The "relative" part of the theme was what I was most wondering about, and you've clarified it for me.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #23
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. Since I came to this late I didn't know what discussions had taken place when the club was in the planning stages.

The "relative" part of the theme was what I was most wondering about, and you've clarified it for me.
I am pretty sure the "relative" part is a reference to Einstein's theory of relativity. But lateral thinking says we can use other definitions if we want to.

Last edited by Dazrin; 02-12-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Ah, the "relative" was my fault. I was looking for something time-related that would also be "catchy", and being a geek, relativity came to mind. When I suggested it to issybird, it seemed to catch on.

The basic premise, as it always is for themes, is any way you can twist it to fit the theme works. So I'm probably going to nominate an alternate history book, but I also have a few others in mind with timely words or phrases in their title. Another example (though it's not eligible because it was already selected by the MRBC within the last 5 years) would be the book Longitude by David Sobel. Because the solution to the longitude problem turns out to require extremely accurate (for the period) timepieces.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I am pretty sure the "relative" part is a reference to Einstein's theory of relativity. But lateral thinking says we can use other definitions if we want to.
Yup. The geek in me.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:07 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Speaking of Einstein, you could nominate Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson but I doubt it would win due to being so long.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #27
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Certainly, Jon. That would be an excellent use of the theme. (And not a bad nomination at all.)
Old 07-13-2018, 11:17 PM   #28
Dazrin
Wizard

Hey all! I'm back from internet oblivion (NE Nevada) and have updated the list posts, I think everything is up to date now but let me know if you see something I missed.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #29
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Hey, Dazrin -- have you, by any chance, got list of all the books fully nominated for the New Leaf Book Club? I know there's the selection list, but I was looking for all the books nominated, not just those selected. (I used to be able to keep such things in my head, but old age...)
Old 10-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #30
Dazrin
Wizard

Sorry. I used to keep some of it but when we stopped the second chance category I quit.