Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #661
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
[s]Hmmm that seems.... unfair? Why limit OverDrive use based on Kobo account country settings; if a user has a working OverDrive account, why not allow them to use it independent of what country they choose to buy books from...[/s]

Wait, it actually makes sense. Kobo has to be able to integrate the OverDrive book borrowing in their store, which has country-dependent content...
The fact that Kobo integrates with Overdrive was a big plus for me, a reason for switching from my old PW2 to my Clara HD. Up here at the top of the world in Aotearoa, we're used to being left off maps and left out of EVERYTHING, so Kobo including us was nice. Especially when Amazon decided their fancy new PW4 was too good for us
Old 10-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #662
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
The fact that Kobo integrates with Overdrive was a big plus for me, a reason for switching from my old PW2 to my Clara HD. Up here at the top of the world in Aotearoa, we're used to being left off maps and left out of EVERYTHING, so Kobo including us was nice. Especially when Amazon decided their fancy new PW4 was too good for us
👍🏼

(Sounds like the perfect holiday location for me )
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #663
hamers
Enthusiast
hamers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (6", 4GB)
I read a lot of books but Overdrive has always seemed absurd to me. You're registering for at least 2 vendor locked and privacy invading services, installing a ton of software from Adobe (noted copyright trolls and "software as a service" bait and switchers) and going through a few different vendors that will all get your personal data and reading habits. Am I misunderstanding the process - vs just going to my library and getting a book?
hamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #664
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamers View Post
I read a lot of books but Overdrive has always seemed absurd to me. You're registering for at least 2 vendor locked and privacy invading services, installing a ton of software from Adobe (noted copyright trolls and "software as a service" bait and switchers) and going through a few different vendors that will all get your personal data and reading habits. Am I misunderstanding the process - vs just going to my library and getting a book?
I didn't have to install anything on my PC from Adobe when I setup my Overdrive account. "locked and privacy invading services" describes EVERY major seller of ebooks, (Amazon, Google, Rakuten/Kobo) so there's no difference there, assuming one purchases the ebooks one reads. And then of course there's the fact that I read ebooks because I find dead tree books increasingly difficult to read, for reasons of physical impairment that also have a bearing on why I don't "just go to my library"
Old 10-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #665
hamers
Enthusiast

Seems to me I have to install Adobe. I have a brand new Clara and don't even have the "Overdrive" setting under the main menu... Seems like I have to go through a computer to do it all.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #666
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
When you live in Madrid and your libraries are at New York, Philadelphia and Florida, it's not so easy going to get it, and even there, they would give me that awful dead tree
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #667
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Seems to me I have to install Adobe. I have a brand new Clara and don't even have the "Overdrive" setting under the main menu... Seems like I have to go through a computer to do it all.
Which suggests you don't live in "Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia or New Zealand" which are the countries where on device Overdrive are supported (as noted on the Kobo website). In that case, yes you do have to go thru your computer. If your library isn't in one of these countries I don't think changing your location in the billing details will help you for library borrowing.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #668
hamers
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Which suggests you don't live in "Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia or New Zealand" which are the countries where on device Overdrive are supported (as noted on the Kobo website). In that case, yes you do have to go thru your computer. If your library isn't in one of these countries I don't think changing your location in the billing details will help you for library borrowing.
Ah, good point. I think when I set up my kobo accout initially (i'm on my 2nd device) I made a totally fake address.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #669
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Does the Kobo Clara HD have an internal MicroSD card? And, if so, does it just pop out of an internal slot if one wants to upgrade to a higher capacity?

(I searched the forum with a variety of terms and couldn't find this information, although I'm sure it's here somewhere.)
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #670
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Does the Kobo Clara HD have an internal MicroSD card? And, if so, does it just pop out of an internal slot if one wants to upgrade to a higher capacity?

(I searched the forum with a variety of terms and couldn't find this information, although I'm sure it's here somewhere.)
See this post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
Just wanted to share some tidbits about my new Kobo Clara HD.

2) The built in SD card is a Sandisk Edge 8GB.
Attachment 165118
I don't have crystaldiskMark, since I'm on a Mac, but I have a similar program. Here is the speed test results for the Clara.
Attachment 165119

It isn't that great.

I replaced it with a 32GB Samsung Evo Plus card, that has faster speed tests.
Attachment 165120

From off, the Kobo boots up faster now. I've got my eyes out to see what else might be faster too.

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #671
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post

I popped the 8GB card out of my Clara HD and replaced it with a 32GB card. The replacement card had better specs in my testing and actually seemed a faster for a while until I got enthused about having my whole library on it. The only issue is some noticeable delays when updating the database which is ~600MB in size. The Clara HD is one of the easier to open of Kobo's recent products.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:40 AM   #672
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Next Kobo Model - Kobo Clara HD

Delete... Tapatalk is driving me crazy posting stuff in threads I’m just quoting from while writing in a different thread 😡
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #673
cband7
cband7 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch glow
Minor problem - Just received a Clara HD and it's working really well except for one issue (likely ignorance on my part *ahem*). Reading is perfect but when I list My Books by title or author it refuses to change pages in the book list; in my case I have 47 pages of books but can only see 1 or 47, nothing in between. I was hoping it would step forward and back like book pages - Anyone have any ideas ?
cband7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #674
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cband7 View Post
Minor problem - Just received a Clara HD and it's working really well except for one issue (likely ignorance on my part *ahem*). Reading is perfect but when I list My Books by title or author it refuses to change pages in the book list; in my case I have 47 pages of books but can only see 1 or 47, nothing in between. I was hoping it would step forward and back like book pages - Anyone have any ideas ?
How are you trying to turn the page? In the book list, you swipe. Left-to-right to go back a page, right-to-left to go forward. Up and down will also work. Anywhere except the menu bar should work. And with firmware version 4.12.x, there is also scroll buttons in the bottom corners. Tapping those will turn the page.

To go to a particular page, tap the page number area and it will prompt for the page number.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #675
cband7
cband7 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch glow
Just sent off for a t shirt that says "DUH" on the front - Thanks so much for the assist - I just spent a half hour trying to explain the issue to the Kobo on line chat and I confused the poor guy so much he hung up on me. :-)
cband7 is offline   Reply With Quote