Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #436
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm posting a proxy request for help. I figured that it may get more action here.

Quote:
I work for a library. One of the patrons is trying to find a book but doesn't remember the title, author, etc. All they remember is the following:

Quote:
There was a brother and a sister, and the book starts with the sister looking at the window of a shop and the clouds becoming very dark. The brother and sister somehow are transported to another world, and there they are separated. In this world there are three types of dwellers. One type that does the work (agricultural or animal tending) and they find the sister and take her in before some big wind storm animal attacks (this is a regular occurrence). A second type that are called diggers who are the punished members of society that do the dirty work. And the third group which are called know nothings, who actually find ways to give information by asking pointed questions. There is also something to do with singing helping them to escape...

If anyone has any idea what this book might be, please respond! I have been trying to hunt it down on the internet based solely on parts of this description, but without more details (like what the race of dwellers is called, or even what the kids' names are) I'm having no luck. I tried asking the Yahoo Answers community as well, but so far I haven't had any luck there either (I've only had one answer so far, and I'm pretty sure the book in question is not Oliver Twist!)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 AM   #437
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm posting a proxy request for help. I figured that it may get more action here.
I agree, Oliver Twist doesn't seem very likely!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #438
lizzo
lizzo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Possibly one of the Wrinkle in Time Series? The brother and sister part, and going to another world reminded me of those. It's been a long time since I read them, so I don't really remember plot details.
lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #439
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Name this book

I thought there was a place for this sort of thing but couldn't find it... if there is and someone can move it there please do.

I saw this book at the library about a year ago and while I remember the premise I can't remember the title or author.

Sci-fi. Takes place in a world where they are people with super powers and some of them are 'good guys' and some are the 'bad guys'. And then all the normal people that live around them.

The two sides have a huge fight and in the process manage to destroy the city around them (I think it was either L.A. or SanFran). The normal people have had enough and declare it illegal to use superpowers and create swat-like teams to take them out using whatever science can bring to bear.

Exploiting weaknesses normal people CAN take out 'supers' though the mortality rate is something like 80% on the swat teams.

Public opinion turns when the teams take out someone called Angel who's power was to be able to heal with a touch and she had wings (I think).

And that's what I remember. Anyone?

Thanks,

rv
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #440
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by richvalle View Post
I thought there was a place for this sort of thing but couldn't find it... if there is and someone can move it there please do.

I saw this book at the library about a year ago and while I remember the premise I can't remember the title or author.

Sci-fi. Takes place in a world where they are people with super powers and some of them are 'good guys' and some are the 'bad guys'. And then all the normal people that live around them.

The two sides have a huge fight and in the process manage to destroy the city around them (I think it was either L.A. or SanFran). The normal people have had enough and declare it illegal to use superpowers and create swat-like teams to take them out using whatever science can bring to bear.

Exploiting weaknesses normal people CAN take out 'supers' though the mortality rate is something like 80% on the swat teams.

Public opinion turns when the teams take out someone called Angel who's power was to be able to heal with a touch and she had wings (I think).

And that's what I remember. Anyone?

Thanks,

rv
No.. but sounds a bit like the Heros TV show.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #441
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No.. but sounds a bit like the Heros TV show.

BOb
It's a long time since I read some of them (not all), but could it be from the Wild Cards series? Like Heroes (& XMen?), it sounds similar.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #442
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
It's a long time since I read some of them (not all), but could it be from the Wild Cards series? Like Heroes (& XMen?), it sounds similar.

Cheers,
Marc
Hmm, no. This seemed to be a single story by a single author. Thanks for trying though.

rv
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #443
webhead
webhead began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Red face Help me please

I read a book about a month ago I want to recommend to you all but have forgotten the titltle. Its historical romance, about a women who has married an older lord who has not slept with her because he can't stand human contact. Despert for an heir he invites men to his country home under the pretext of buying horses. Putting his wife on display in the hope she begins an affair and wind up pregent. After a couple of years she is still a virgin until our hero arrives. They begin to fall in love, do the deed and then he leaves. our heroine not preggers and her husband go to london where he hopes his wife and lover continue the affair. She becomes his mistress and ends up pregent. The husband on learning his wife condition arranges the lovers to fall out and believe she only wanted a child from him and she leaves back to the country. Forward 9 months and a baby is born but she has a daughter not a son much to his distaine. Drinking and unable to touch his wife drives the husband to near violance at his wife and her child. He tells her they must begin again so he can get a male heir to which she refuses at which point the hero return to save the day
webhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #444
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
I'm looking for a SF short story, geared torward adolescents, where the plot entailed a controlling society where a boy goes out of his way to systematically act anti-social. The two major plot devices are that males and females are chemically tied together for mating/marriage (society picks appropriate matches), and the fact that each individual is given their "lifelong earnings" at age 18. The reason the boy goes anti-social is so that he can get out of the chemical mate-matching so that he can marry the girl he loves and gives up his money to do so. Which by this point in this society is unheard of.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #445
teenap
teenap began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehel View Post
I'm trying to find the name of a book that I havn't read but which I've seen in the bookstore, but I didn't have the money for it at the time. Then when I went back for it I realised that I didn't know what it was called, or the name of the author. So this is as much as I remember from the description;

The main character (whose name escapes me) returns to the house were he grew up after having gone through a very rough time in his life (divorce and arguments about the kid if I remember correctly???). But when he arrives at the house he grew up in and enters it, he discoveres to his shock that his mother, whose been dead for several years is there, acting as though she's never been gone.

Basicly it's some kind of psychological fiction book. Any ideas anyone?
For One More Day - Mitch Albom
teenap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #446
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
I'm trying to remember the name of a book where a pair of spectacles are found in an archeological dig. Of course they have been left there by time travelling scientists who end up living in (I think) medieval England for a while. It's not Michael Crichton's "Timeline". Any ideas?
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #447
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
I'm trying to remember the name of a book where a pair of spectacles are found in an archeological dig. Of course they have been left there by time travelling scientists who end up living in (I think) medieval England for a while. It's not Michael Crichton's "Timeline". Any ideas?
Actually, that sounds exactly like Timeline.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #448
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, that sounds exactly like Timeline.

BOb
Yeah.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 AM   #449
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Someone slap me in the head it is Timeline. I just hadn't remembered the beginning of it, thought it reminded me of something. I'll just crawl back under the covers now!
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:22 AM   #450
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Someone slap me in the head it is Timeline. I just hadn't remembered the beginning of it, thought it reminded me of something. I'll just crawl back under the covers now!
My pleasure:

Ea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths