Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
Hardware problem: next steps? warranty?

Three horizontal pixel rows no longer function on my Kindle 3, they are all on the bottom 10% of the screen. The unit is still very usable. There was no physical impact on the unit to cause this problem, it started with 2 rows not showing up one day and another row disappeared a few days later. This all happened in the last couple of weeks.

I purchased a Kindle 3 August 5th, 2010 from Amazon's web site and it was shipped on Sept. 1, 2010 and received a couple of days later. I used the USA web site and it was shipped to a USA address. I didn't purchase any special warranty protection, just the $139 WiFi unit.

So is this unit still under warranty? Do I have until 1 year after *receiving* it?

I am on an international trip now but return to the USA next week, so I am trying to figure out my options since the year is almost up. Also, I am hoping I won't have to separated from my beloved Kindle for long if, indeed, it is under warranty?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I don't what the law is in your country, but in most places the question of warranty won't apply. The unit is defective, and it is up the retailer to replace it. This is a statutory right, and a warranty - or lack of it - won't change that.

I'd suggest you contact Amazon as soon as it's convenient and ask them for a replacement.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Contact Kindle Support, to find out for sure.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool kindle support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I don't what the law is in your country, but in most places the question of warranty won't apply. The unit is defective, and it is up the retailer to replace it. This is a statutory right, and a warranty - or lack of it - won't change that.

I'd suggest you contact Amazon as soon as it's convenient and ask them for a replacement.
do not contact amazon, contact kindle support by phone.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Amazon Kindle customer service (1-866-321-8851)
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool didn't know that

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Amazon Kindle customer service (1-866-321-8851)
didn't know that they had a number to call as i have always asked them to call me (a web-based option in the support section) and i always have gotten a ring from them in a minute or less.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Three horizontal pixel rows no longer function on my Kindle 3, they are all on the bottom 10% of the screen. The unit is still very usable. There was no physical impact on the unit to cause this problem, it started with 2 rows not showing up one day and another row disappeared a few days later. This all happened in the last couple of weeks.

I purchased a Kindle 3 August 5th, 2010 from Amazon's web site and it was shipped on Sept. 1, 2010 and received a couple of days later. I used the USA web site and it was shipped to a USA address. I didn't purchase any special warranty protection, just the $139 WiFi unit.

So is this unit still under warranty? Do I have until 1 year after *receiving* it?

I am on an international trip now but return to the USA next week, so I am trying to figure out my options since the year is almost up. Also, I am hoping I won't have to separated from my beloved Kindle for long if, indeed, it is under warranty?
If you want to call before returning to the US, the number is 206-266-0927. If you're in the US, use the number Pidgeon92 posted. Your warranty begins from your ship date: September 1st. Your replacement Kindle will have a full 90 day warranty. CS will take care of you.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
travis
Enthusiast

Thank you very much. So it looks like the warranty is indeed a year from receiving the item so I should be OK. I think I will just call when I am back in the USA, which is in one week. I promise to report back results here. I guess I am lucky this showed up in my 12 month of ownership and not the 13 month of ownership . . .
Old 08-12-2011, 01:23 AM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool kindle customer service

Quote:
Thank you very much. So it looks like the warranty is indeed a year from receiving the item so I should be OK. I think I will just call when I am back in the USA, which is in one week. I promise to report back results here. I guess I am lucky this showed up in my 12 month of ownership and not the 13 month of ownership . . .
kindle customer service replaced my kindle 2 at no cost to me when it was over two years old. in fact they sent it out and told me to return the defective/broken one in the packaging that the replacement came it (and furnished me a pre-paid mailing label).
Old 08-12-2011, 02:30 AM   #10
travis
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
kindle customer service replaced my kindle 2 at no cost to me when it was over two years old. in fact they sent it out and told me to return the defective/broken one in the packaging that the replacement came it (and furnished me a pre-paid mailing label).
Amazing! I hope I can get the same service. Really, my biggest concern is Kindle-separation-anxiety.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool kindle-separation-anxiety

Quote:
Amazing! I hope I can get the same service. Really, my biggest concern is Kindle-separation-anxiety.
i know, although it turned out to not be necessary, for fear of exactly that, i bought received and began using my k3 before i'd even consider calling them about the k2. turned out to be a great excuse for the purchase of my k3 and my wife got the replacement k2. hope you get treated as well as i did.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle customer service has been amazing for me. I've had to return 2 damaged Kindles, and both times I feel that they had every right to just say "too bad for you."

The first time, I had the hairline crack on the K2 5-way. Just the other day, I accidentally leaned on my K3 and broke the top half of the screen.

In both cases, they sent me a replacement within 2 days. What's even more incredible is the K2 was one I bought used, so I wasn't even the original owner, and I hadn't given Amazon any money.
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Don't hesitate to contact Kindle support. They are amazing, best Customer Service I've ever dealt with. I had a kindle screen go bad, don't know if it broke or what (it always seemed like it was a little warped when I held it) then the replacement kept freezing. Both times I received a new kindle within a day and a half (I called late at night) and they email you a link to a return label. Use the original packaging and drop off at any UPS store.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
sylviebi
Connoisseur
sylviebi is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, DSi xl, 3DS, iPod, Playbbok
not too sure how you manage to break the kindle and get a new one for free when it was your fault? did you tell them what happened?
sylviebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylviebi View Post
not too sure how you manage to break the kindle and get a new one for free when it was your fault? did you tell them what happened?
Oddly enough, Amazon will generally allow one Kindle replacement when the customer was at fault. I heard of them being car-killed, sat on, walked on, swimming pool drowned, and so on. There has to be a piece left before they'll do a replacement, though.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote