Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #16
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The death of SF/F has been an on again/off again thing since the 80's. Basically, there is a lot of churn. Add in the fact that sub-genres come and go and there is a cyclical nature to the various genres (people move from SF to adventure to mystery and eventually back around) and it's pretty easy to assume that SF is dying when you see a 2 year drop. Especially if you have a specific sub-genre you like and people stop writing in it.

I've seen Fantasy go from Roger Zelazny to Tolkien knock offs to middle ages fantasy to SF/F mixes to vampire and werewolf romances.

Makes you wonder whats next, eh?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #17
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It's become mainstream.
Interesting point. I hadn't thought of it that way before.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #18
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The problem with the OP's stats is that they are only for adult fiction. How many adults read young adult fantasy and sci-fi? Hunger Games, Harry Potter...And then there are the movies. There seem to be more sci-fi movies than ever before.

I agree there's a lot of dross in the conventional male sci-fi area these days. I don't read it anymore since Bank's died. But sci-fi and fantasy has branched out of that area.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:43 PM   #19
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
If SF dies, let me know. I'll plan a party.
What do you have against SF?
There are things in this life that deserve our spite way more than SF, like censorship for instance...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #20
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
What do you have against SF?
There are things in this life that deserve our spite way more than SF, like censorship for instance...
You know we have a Politics and Religion forum, right? Can you take your complaints over there. kthnx.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2015, 05:13 PM   #21
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
You know we have a Politics and Religion forum, right? Can you take your complaints over there. kthnx.
A statement was made here and I asked a question in connection with it. Not sure what "complaints" you are referring to.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #22
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
There are still fewer authors writing traditional SF than I'd like, but I've been finding more and more backlist titles that were previously out of print. However, the last year or so has been the first time that I've been able to find as many new fantasy novels as I care to read. While I don't really know how the market's been treating authors, for me as a reader, it's rapidly becoming an embarrassment of riches.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
The adult SF sector declined more slowly than adult fiction overall (-7% vs -8%), and the juvenile Science Fiction/Fantasy/Magic category (who comes up with these things?) had a whopping 38% increase, which would surely indicate a rosy future?
That's what I was thinking. Those who used to read SF/Fantasy, have moved over to "Young Adult" "twinkly vampire" stuff. It's just a different classification, not really a different market. I would imagine -- eventually -- the "Twilight" stuff will fade out and so-called "real" SF will take its place again. Last time I was in a Barnes & Noble it looked like a whole big section was taken up with Twilight clones.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:13 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
A statement was made here and I asked a question in connection with it. Not sure what "complaints" you are referring to.
You do seem to harp on about being censored....
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #25
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Adult Fiction
Action/Adventure 2,619 2,239 -15%
Fantasy. 8,615 7,526 -13%
Occult/
Psychological/Horror 4,474 3,329 -26%
Religion 4,925 4,174 -15%
Romance 34,585 30,885 -11%
Science Fiction 4,448 4,142 -7%
Suspense/Thrillers. 22,161. 20,111 -9%
General Fiction 36,314 33,524 -8%

I cut out the ones that had declined less than science fiction. I didn't have to cut much out. Should we ask if Action/Adventure is dying? Romance? Religion?
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #26
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Adult Fiction
Action/Adventure 2,619 2,239 -15%
Fantasy. 8,615 7,526 -13%
Occult/
Psychological/Horror 4,474 3,329 -26%
Religion 4,925 4,174 -15%
Romance 34,585 30,885 -11%
Science Fiction 4,448 4,142 -7%
Suspense/Thrillers. 22,161. 20,111 -9%
General Fiction 36,314 33,524 -8%

I cut out the ones that had declined less than science fiction. I didn't have to cut much out. Should we ask if Action/Adventure is dying? Romance? Religion?
Those genres aren't quite as prone to hysterics and catfights as SF.

(Do note that the panic is over multi-year drops in the "official" numbers,not just the 2014 drop.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-29-2015 at 08:46 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:16 AM   #27
Quexos
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You do seem to harp on about being censored....
If you read that post again you will notice that "censorship" was just an example, "instance" is the word I used, the MAIN point being a question when someone seemed to strongly dislike SF hence my curiosity and ensuing question...

It is interesting that so much attention comes to my "instance" while so little (actually none so far) to my question. Someone says they will plan a party if a full genre of literature dies and NOBODY seems the least curious as to why?
Old 01-30-2015, 03:49 AM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it's a cycle myself. You saw the same thing with movies in the past. In the 40's it was monster movies, then SF in the 50's, 60's musicals, 70's gritty action (Dirty Harry etc) and so forth. Books probably follow a similar cycle in popularity.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:52 AM   #29
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
The data relied upon is very obviously badly flawed, and a terrible basis for prompting this type of discussion. However, there is of course no harm in talking about it. I don't this data is very useful for anything. Furthermore, I suspect that Sci-Fi is stronger than ever. I also think that, with the exception of Baen, it has become very much the province of the self-published authors. Perhaps Brad Torgersen's Sad Puppies 3 campaign referred to in one of the articles above provides some glimpse of one of the reasons for this.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:57 AM   #30
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford
pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If voxday said the sky was blue, he'd probably add that it was orange until those women and SJWs knocked it out of the sky.

I can't remember the last time I bought an SFF book from a large publisher that wasn't YA dystopian. But I do buy micropress and self published SF. It might be rougher around the edges, but it also seems to have more energy. And, to be honest, a better price.

Mind you, I'm a pink shirt lesbian feminist female, so the death of science fiction is probably all my fault. Why, you're welcome, voxday!
pegasi&prefects is offline   Reply With Quote