Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #61
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
I think there is still space that didn't exist in 2.5.1

I'm pretty sure the book I'm looking at was formatted in a way that would have the text go right to the top and now it doesn't....but it doesn't use as much space as the menu bar does, so some of it has been returned to text.
I hope someone will confirm this. If that is the case, then 2.5.1 (or 2.5.2 with the mod applied) is the better choice.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #62
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
One-click access to the things you do most often, perhaps? E.g. favourite shelves. Plus current book not disappearing from Home screen just because you downloaded 5 or more new books.
If the current books are still located where They can be read easily after adding books that's a great feature that should be implemented across the board. I never liked the fact that After adding 30 or so new books I had no access to my current read without searching all over for it again.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #63
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have no idea why this question is being ignored, so I'm going to ask again because an answer would be very helpful.

Is the wasted screen space at the bottom of the screen still wasted or has that been fixed?
actually i'm pretty sure it was asked by you before and answered fairly early on. possibly a different thread. i remember reading the 2nd post and thinking...you asked this 10 mins ago and someone answered it already!!

the screen at the bottom is the same as it always was (and ever will be??)
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #64
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have no idea why this question is being ignored, so I'm going to ask again because an answer would be very helpful.

Is the wasted screen space at the bottom of the screen still wasted or has that been fixed?
I second the question. It is especially valid for Aura, because it seems that it still is using 6" formatting, rather than it's own screen size.
And- this update is GLO only, or Aura would have it as well?
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #65
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I hope someone will confirm this. If that is the case, then 2.5.1 (or 2.5.2 with the mod applied) is the better choice.
If that is your number 1 and only important priority, keep 2.5.1. I opened other books and all seem to have more space than in 2.5.1, but less than 2.5.2. I even changed the margins to see if they had just made the margins equal all 4 sides, but it only changes the side margins, as before.
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #66
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Download for 2.6.1 anyone?

Would Anyone be kind enough to perhaps post a drop box link for the glo 2.6.1 firmware if possible??

Preety please with a cherry and everything on top?

regards

Jack
Old 06-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #67
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
or the shelves tile...you have to "manage" the shelf for it to show up (ie add a book to that shelf)
Is this true? I don't have v2.6.1 yet but I do have the tiled Home screen on my v2.5.2 Aura. I've never had to use the 'Manage shelf' option. Opening any book from a Shelf's booklist page has been enough to put that Shelf tile on the Home screen.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
actually i'm pretty sure it was asked by you before and answered fairly early on. possibly a different thread. i remember reading the 2nd post and thinking...you asked this 10 mins ago and someone answered it already!!

the screen at the bottom is the same as it always was (and ever will be??)
It was answer buy a guess. Not actual information. That's why I'm asking again.

Thanks for that. Now if Kobo wants to sell another Aura, all they have to do is get rid of the wasted bottom space and I'll buy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #69
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Is this true? I don't have v2.6.1 yet but I do have the tiled Home screen on my v2.5.2 Aura. I've never had to use the 'Manage shelf' option. Opening any book from a Shelf's booklist page has been enough to put that Shelf tile on the Home screen.
I'm pretty sure it's the case, at least with the glo. PeterT mentioned it as well and that's what made me realise the pattern, since most shelves weren't showing up...
Old 06-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #70
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Would Anyone be kind enough to perhaps post a drop box link for the glo 2.6.1 firmware if possible??

Preety please with a cherry and everything on top?

regards

Jack
I've never done that, but I assume you would need an unpacked update...so I think I can't be of any help since I installed mine already. Let me know if my assumptions are wrong.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #71
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
I've never done that, but I assume you would need an unpacked update...so I think I can't be of any help since I installed mine already. Let me know if my assumptions are wrong.
No you are correct it has to be b4 you disconnect to snag the files to zip up or rar up for use.

Because as you surmised once its unpacked and installed were S.O.L unless the kobo desktop saved the files somewhere on the computer.

regards

Jack
Old 06-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #72
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
No you are correct it has to be b4 you disconnect to snag the files to zip up or rar up for use.

Because as you surmised once its unpacked and installed were S.O.L unless the kobo desktop saved the files somewhere on the computer.

regards

Jack
did it by sync, so no chance of files on my computer....i guess you'll have to wait
Old 06-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #73
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Another change:

I think the setting to change the bottom bar to black is gone. I had it on clear anyway, but when I was playing around in settings, I noticed it doesn't seem to be there any more. The light settings seem to be the same as on the aura, so i guess it's not a big surprise, but for those who love the black bar.....here's your warning
Old 06-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #74
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I don't mind the "Sleeping" square as opposed to a banner. I think I actually prefer it, at least on the Aura. But I have to say that it falls under the heading of pointless fiddling with the UI while failing to address the most important issues that actually affect reading:

1. Being able to override the default margin and line spacing settings for ALL books

2. Managing the top and bottom margins and title-header/page-number-footer
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #75
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Its funny; loosing a line or two of content from the screen does not bother me at all. Just means maybe a few extra page turns in going through a book.
I don't care about the extra page turns either. The title does not actually annoy me like the chapter numbers instaed of page numbers.
I just don't see it as an advantage. I can tap the bottom bar to see the title or turn of reader to see the cover or go to the home page.

And I only mildly resent the impication that anyone who buys a Kobo is not bright enough to remember what they are reading or how to find out I guess Kobo is lacking self confidence and feels that a person must be mentally deficient to buy a Kobo.

Helen

Last edited by speakingtohe; 06-07-2013 at 04:28 PM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote