Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
cykwon
cykwon began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
running ebooks with video

Hi guys, I'm trying to develop a book that allows videos embedded but when i run the epub book of alkido it doesnt even show up. do i have to convert it to mobi or something?
cykwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cykwon View Post
Hi guys, I'm trying to develop a book that allows videos embedded but when i run the epub book of alkido it doesnt even show up. do i have to convert it to mobi or something?
Video support is not in the current ePub specification and not supported. It is in the not yet released ePub version 3.0 spec which is based on HTML5. Currently the iBook application on iOS is the only ePub I know that uses HTML5 and thus could support this.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
cykwon
cykwon began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Video support is not in the current ePub specification and not supported. It is in the not yet released ePub version 3.0 spec which is based on HTML5. Currently the iBook application on iOS is the only ePub I know that uses HTML5 and thus could support this.

Dale
oh crap really? yeah it works great on ipad. im trying to get it run on the android but you know when it will be supported or if it will be?

what about other formats like mobi or im not sure if the book stores sell pdf's?

as long as the book plays the videos thats the key and if it could be sold on barnes and nobles or amazon and especially android market is what i am trying to do. so far Itunes is a success

Last edited by cykwon; 09-21-2011 at 05:51 PM.
cykwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
B&N has some quirky stuff for their textbooks and childrens books. Some of that stuff might support animation but it would be non standard. As with all standards there is no predicting when it will get approved and when it will get adopted with hardware. I have no idea if and when some app will get written for Android, but Chrome OS will like support it soon.

You might be able to go the reverse route where you use a movie viewer to show the book.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote