Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #61
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
My Kindle Paperwhite from 2012 still works.

The reason why I've never sold it is because the battery can be replaced fairly easily. It still holds a charge for a few weeks when not used, and after replacing it, this will be a decent backup reader. Maybe it'll come in handy some day. It takes almost no space, and selling it after almost 8 years will not earn me anything.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #62
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I still have my Zune. It was hands down better than an iPod. It was much easier to add music to my Zune. It would automatically check my music folder and add anything new. My iPod required me to manually choose new music files or folders before I could add them.
Right now I mainly use my Onkyo DPS-X1A. I like it because it has 64 GB of onboard storage and will hold two micro SD cards with up to 256 GB each. I have music on one card and Audio books on the other. It also has Wi-Fi and I can play music from Amazon, Sirius/XM and other services.
Apache
I loved my Zune. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention and tried to force its cable in the wrong way and damaged the Zune's connector. I've yet to find a music player for Android that was as well done as the Zune's.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2020, 06:23 AM   #63
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Kindle 3, bought in 2011, still working. Still using it to play Yahtzee...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:23 AM   #64
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
I have been searching for antiques and recently came across and purchased a Sony Librie.

It's in great condition. I still have to work out its Japanese menus, figure out how to change it to English(and if i should).
Tried some of the LRF books from here and they work fine.

I guess the Librie is as old as a true ereader can go.
Unless i can find a Hanlin V8 to equal it.
The search is on..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:07 AM   #65
ernieh
Connoisseur
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
Think the oldest reader I have not disposed off is an iriver cover story, also have a prestigio, neither being used but regularly charged to keep them in reserve as proper ereaders hard to get in South Africa. Readers being used are several kobo's and boyue's. Am surprised at the number of people on this thread who have disposed of all their mini USB cables, I purchased a small brand new Canon digital camera recently that has a mini USB but was not supplied with a cable, luckily I have several!
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #66
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I wonder where the old Palm Vx is... Probably gone now... Not that it was real ebook reader... At least the Nokia N810 seemed to work...

All my old real readers are broken by missuse...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:44 AM   #67
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I still do almost all my reading on the JetBook Lite that I got almost 10 years ago. Usually out on the back deck, with some tea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JBL-deck-RS.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	179160  
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:46 AM   #68
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I have my old Kindle 3G with keyboard. We used it one early spring, still some snow up in the Grand Canyon. I used it to read my e-mail. Slow but worked. My wife borrowed it for a long time, then returned it with a broken screen. I keep meaning to repair it but we keep buying new tablets, Samsung 7 Fire 7 Fire HD8 and I never get to it. If I had a barn full of old favorite cars and tractors, I would put it out there but it just keeps sitting on the shelf waiting for a promised repair.

I bought a big used (2-3 years old) DELL tower, a corporate machine. It is a screamer, to replace my old Dell tower (20 years old) but I have't set it up yet. I just keep using this little Chromebook because I can cut it on and it is ready to go.

I did manage to get 2 old 17 inch laptops loaded with Window10 for my grandkids back in FEB before they shut the border to Canada.

Just too little time I guess. OR maybe I am smarter than I know.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #69
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikou View Post
My Sony PRS-650 is over 9 years old and still works perfectly. If it a front light, I would still probably be using it.
Likewise. I have sometimes thought to get a head-light and keep using it. I spent much time looking for a cover with a light but gave up after a couple of years. Should have bought it at the time.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #70
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i have a sony PRS-500 that is ghosting really bad...to the point that it's not readable. the firmware was updated by sony. i'm not sure if this is a power issue (the battery was replaced in 2014). i heard that swapping in a battery could be what is causing this. anyone else experienced something similar with this model?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #71
Uncle_ToyBox
Uncle_ToyBox began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo N416 (1st gen)
I have my 1st gen Kobo still working with 1.0 code after ten years. Doesn't get much use because I've got the 1st gen Kobo touch still working (seen in background of the image).

Started digging into the forums here trying to figure out how to hack my 1st gen Kobo to display bmp images pushed from a computer (still trying to work it out).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kobo.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	179360  
Uncle_ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #72
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I have an old SONY REB (I think that's what it was called) along with it's immediate (and giant) predecessor. Both still work (when charged...). I've also got 2nd & 3rd generation Sony e-ink device and they both still work as well.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #73
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ I don't know about Sony, But I still have three REB-1100s, from RCA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RCA REB-1100.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	179483  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #74
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Sony ... RCA ... Oops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^ I don't know about Sony, But I still have three REB-1100s, from RCA.
Well, I could blame it on COVID, right? Brain fried from working out of my basement for two months? Yeah. That must be it.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #75
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
My first eReader was a Sony PRS-350, in a rather fetching midnight blue. Purchased around 2010. I devoured dozens of public domain books on it, and had one of those little clip on worm lights. That was the biggest drawback--external light would reflect off the chrome buttons and I grew so tired of the light and the lack of frontlighting that I upgraded a few years later...

To a Nook SimpleTouch with Glowlight, in 2013. It was a downgrade in some respects... Poor DPI so quite jagged text, and less premium materials, but I loved the light and more than anything I loved the chunky bezel which gave plenty of room for your hand to grip.

I was actively avoiding Amazon at the time, but I relented in early 2015 and got a Paperwhite 2, literally weeks before they announced a newer model. Being able to email books direct to my device was a revelation. I still love and use my PW2 daily, though I wish the lighting was a touch more uniform, and occasionally pages "stick" and it skips one, requiring a restart to fix.

I am considering an Oasis for the warm lighting but, like my ageing smartphone, what I've got is good enough.

The PRS-350 was eBayed a few years back after I purchased a replacement stylus that someone I'm sure on these here forums 3D-printed, and ditto the Nook went up too but unsurprisingly didn't sell for much as B&N had shuttered its UK store.

Last edited by Arrghus; 05-27-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote