Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #811
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your using it with old firmware. But for those who novices and don't really know what they are doing this can really mess them up. Why not just concede and tell others to NickelMenu and KFMon which does work?
Could you explain what it is that you think "can really mess them up"?

I don't know why "Eddierm" felt the need to "update" his Kobo firmware, but he seems to have been pretty satisfied with what he had with KSM and an earlier Kobo firmware. An Operating System (OS) and programs running well on a device, don't age and go bad. They can only keep running as they do, they don't spontaneously change. The hardware can degrade (the battery) or become damaged but short of an outside attack the software will keep working as it always has.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:18 PM   #812
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I thought I'd seen a post by geek1011 regarding a change in Kobo's startup scripts in the newest release. Possibly it might have interfered with ksm's installation
Yeah, I've only peeked at things for about 5 minutes; it looks like /etc/init.d/rcS got reordered a bit, but at a glance, I'm not sure why the old script wouldn't work (I haven't looked at everything else that may have changed, though).

For anyone who has an existing KSM install that they can no longer access, is anyone feeling adventurous and want to try the attached script (unzip first, then place KoboRoot.tgz in .kobo), which I made by rearranging things back to the old order (minus a lot of tshering's old customizations outside the KSM launch stuff; I'm not sure how much of it is still needed and I don't think maintaining backwards compatibility will be easy going forward with all the potential hardware changes coming down the pipe anyway)?

WARNING: If it doesn't work, you may have an unbootable machine, in which case you'd need a way to remove your internal SD card and replace the /etc/init.d/rcS file with a working one from the stock firmware. I can't test it myself because I can't find my damn SD-microSD adapter card so I'd have no way to recover if it didn't work.

Anyway, if this doesn't work, then I'm not sure off the top of my head. I might have time to look closer after NaNoWriMo; I enjoy KSM too and had a lot of customizations that I miss. But I also have a working solution to launch other things via NickelMenu now, so if this is indeed the end of the road for me and KSM on my GloHD, I'm not too choked up.

And here's the script, in case anyone wants to check my math; I basically moved the firmware upgrade stuff back nearer to the bottom where it used to be, and the wifi stuff back to the middle where it used to be, then stuck the KSM launcher stuff in between where it used to live:

Spoiler:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

write_uboot_env() {
	if [ $1 == freescale ] || [ $1 == mx50-ntx ] || [ $1 == mx6sl-ntx ] || [ $1 == mx6sll-ntx ] || [ $1 == mx6ull-ntx ]; then
		dd if=$2 of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=128k count=1 seek=6
	fi
	sync
}

PRODUCT=`/bin/kobo_config.sh`
[ $PRODUCT != trilogy ] && PREFIX=$PRODUCT-

mount -o remount,noatime,nodiratime /dev/mmcblk0p1 /

PLATFORM=freescale
if [ `dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 skip=1024 count=1 | grep -c "HW CONFIG"` == 1 ]; then
	CPU=`ntx_hwconfig -s -p /dev/mmcblk0 CPU`
	PLATFORM=$CPU-ntx
	WIFI=`ntx_hwconfig -s -p /dev/mmcblk0 Wifi`
fi

if [ $PLATFORM == freescale ]; then
	if [ ! -s /lib/firmware/imx/epdc_E60_V220.fw ]; then
		mkdir -p /lib/firmware/imx
		dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512K skip=10 count=1 | zcat > /lib/firmware/imx/epdc_E60_V220.fw
		sync
	fi
fi

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/lib:
runlevel=S
prevlevel=N
umask 022
export PATH PLATFORM PRODUCT runlevel prevlevel

for i in /proc /dev /root /tmp /sys /mnt/sd /mnt/onboard /mnt/user /var/db /var/lib /var/log /var/run /lib/modules/`uname -r`; do
	[ ! -d $i ] && mkdir -p $i
done;

/bin/mount -t proc  none  /proc
/bin/mount -t tmpfs none -o size=16m /tmp
/bin/mount -t tmpfs none /dev
/bin/mount -t tmpfs none -o size=16k /var/lib
/bin/mount -t tmpfs none -o size=16k /var/log
/bin/mount -t tmpfs none -o size=128k /var/run
/bin/mount -t sysfs none -o size=500k /sys

for i in /var/run/dbus /var/lib/dbus; do
	mkdir -p $i
done

mkfifo /tmp/nickel-hardware-status
rm -rf /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
rm -rf /mnt/onboard/.kobo
rm -rf /mnt/onboard/*

echo -e '\000\000\000\000' > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
/sbin/udevd -d

[ "$(ls -s /etc/udev.tgz | awk '{print $1}')" == 0 ] && rm -rf /etc/udev.tgz
if [ $PLATFORM == freescale ] || [ ! -e /etc/udev.tgz ]; then
	/sbin/udevadm control --env=STARTUP=1
	/sbin/udevadm trigger
	/sbin/udevadm settle --timeout=2
	/sbin/udevadm control --env=STARTUP=
	[ $PLATFORM != freescale ] && tar cpzf /etc/udev.tgz /dev &
else
	tar zxf /etc/udev.tgz -C /
fi

export UBOOT_MMC=/etc/u-boot/$PLATFORM/u-boot.mmc
export UBOOT_RECOVERY=/etc/u-boot/$PLATFORM/u-boot.recovery

find /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/ -type f -exec readahead {} \;

FORCE_FACTORY_RESET=0
FS_CORRUPT=0
dosfsck -a -w /dev/mmcblk0p3 || dosfsck -a -w /dev/mmcblk0p3 || dosfsck -a -w /dev/mmcblk0p3 || dosfsck -a -w /dev/mmcblk0p3 || FS_CORRUPT=1
[ ! -s /usr/local/Kobo/pickel ] && FORCE_FACTORY_RESET=1
/usr/local/Kobo/pickel should-factory-reset
if [ $? != 0 ] || [ $FS_CORRUPT == 1 ] || [ $FORCE_FACTORY_RESET == 1 ]; then
	case $PRODUCT in
		kraken|phoenix)
			export COORDINATES="200 740 350 150";;
		snow)
			export COORDINATES="250 -1050 570 150";;
		star|luna)
			export COORDINATES="160 740 400 150";;
		dragon|dahlia)
			export COORDINATES="260 1070 540 130";;
		alyssum)
			export COORDINATES="240 1070 550 150";;
		daylight)
			export COORDINATES="320 1400 730 170";;
		nova)
			export COORDINATES="250 1070 600 150";;
		frost)
			export COORDINATES="350 1400 750 200";;
		storm)
			export COORDINATES="325 1240 610 150";;
		*)
			export COORDINATES="140 600 300 70";;

esac
	sleep 5
	zcat /etc/images/$PREFIX\factory-reset.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
	/usr/local/Kobo/pickel wait-for-hit $COORDINATES

write_uboot_env $PLATFORM $UBOOT_RECOVERY
	reboot
fi

mount -t vfat -o noatime,nodiratime,shortname=mixed,utf8 /dev/mmcblk0p3 /mnt/onboard
rm -rf /mnt/onboard/fsck*
rm -rf /mnt/onboard/FSCK*
rm -rf /usr/local/Kobo/db.tgz
chmod u+s /libexec/dbus-daemon-launch-helper

echo -n 8192 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes
echo -n 67108864 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

/usr/local/Kobo/pickel can-upgrade
CAN_UPGRADE=$?

if [ ! -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo ]; then
	mkdir -p /mnt/onboard/.kobo
fi

if [ $PLATFORM == freescale ]; then
	INTERFACE=wlan0
	WIFI_MODULE=ar6000
else
	INTERFACE=eth0
	WIFI_MODULE=dhd
	if [ x$WIFI == "xRTL8189" ]; then
		WIFI_MODULE=8189fs
	elif [ x$WIFI == "xRTL8192" ]; then
		WIFI_MODULE=8192es                                                   
	fi  
fi

export INTERFACE
export WIFI_MODULE

export NICKEL_HOME=/mnt/onboard/.kobo
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/Kobo
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
#export KOBO_DEBUG_STDOUT=1

/bin/dbus-uuidgen > /var/lib/dbus/machine-id
/bin/dbus-daemon --system &
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=`/bin/dbus-daemon --session --print-address --fork`

# ---------------- Tshering: insert menu begin
ksmroot=/adds/kbmenu
export ksmroot
export MODEL_NUMBER=$(cut -f 6 -d ',' /mnt/onboard/.kobo/version | sed -e 's/^[0-]*//')
case $MODEL_NUMBER in
  310|320|330|340|350|360|371|372|373|375|381) #Touch A/B/C, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, Aura, Glo HD, Touch 2.0, Aura ONE, Aura Edition 2 v1, Aura ONE LE
    export mousedriver=libKoboTS.so
    export QWS_MOUSE_PROTO=KoboTS
    ;;
  370) #Aura H2O
    export mousedriver=libKoboTS_h2o.so
    export QWS_MOUSE_PROTO=KoboTS_h2o
    ;;
  *) # 374|376|378|384|377|380 #Aura H2O2v1, Clara HD, Aura H2O2v2, Libra H2O, Forma, Forma 32GB
    export mousedriver=libKoboTS_h2o2.so
    export QWS_MOUSE_PROTO=KoboTS_h2o2
    ;;
esac

installUpdate="TRUE"
if [ "$isarmhf" == "TRUE" ] && [ "$(sh $ksmroot/onstart/checkinstall.sh)" == "ok" ]; then

checkscript=$(sh -n $ksmroot/onstart/ksmhome.sh 2>&1)
  if [ "$checkscript" == "" ]; then
    $ksmroot/onstart/ksmhome.sh &
    exit
  fi

fi
# ---------------- Tshering: insert menu end

if [ $CAN_UPGRADE == 1 ] && [ -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo/Kobo.tgz ]; then
	gunzip -t /mnt/onboard/.kobo/Kobo.tgz && tar zxf /mnt/onboard/.kobo/Kobo.tgz -C /usr/local/Kobo/ && ( cat /usr/local/Kobo/revinfo >> /usr/local/Kobo/install.log )
	rm /mnt/onboard/.kobo/Kobo.tgz
	echo "Done upgrading..."
fi

if [ $CAN_UPGRADE == 1 ] && [ -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboRoot.tgz ]; then
	write_uboot_env $PLATFORM $UBOOT_RECOVERY
	zcat /etc/images/$PREFIX\ghostbuster.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
	/etc/init.d/update-animator.sh &
	gunzip -t /mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboRoot.tgz && tar zxf /mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboRoot.tgz -C / && ( cat /usr/local/Kobo/revinfo >> /usr/local/Kobo/install.log )
	if [ -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade ]; then
		/etc/init.d/upgrade-wifi.sh
		rm -rf /mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade
	fi
	rm /mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboRoot.tgz
	killall update-animator.sh
	echo "Done upgrading..."
	zcat /etc/images/$PREFIX\ghostbuster.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
	zcat /etc/images/$PREFIX\reboot.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
	write_uboot_env $PLATFORM $UBOOT_MMC
	sync
	reboot
fi

( 
	if [ $PLATFORM == freescale ] || [ $CPU == mx50 ] || [ $CPU == mx6sl ]; then
		usleep 400000; 
	fi
	/etc/init.d/on-animator.sh
) &

(
	/usr/local/Kobo/pickel disable.rtc.alarm

if [ ! -e /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf ]; then
		cp /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.template /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
	fi

/sbin/hwclock -s -u
) &

/bin/hostname kobo

/usr/local/Kobo/hindenburg &
LIBC_FATAL_STDERR_=1 /usr/local/Kobo/nickel -platform kobo -skipFontLoad &
[ $PLATFORM != freescale ] && rm -rf /dev/mmcblk1* && udevadm trigger &
[ -e /drivers/$PLATFORM/misc/lowmem.ko ] && insmod /drivers/$PLATFORM/misc/lowmem.ko &
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboRoot.tgz.zip (2.9 KB, 199 views)
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2020, 05:13 PM   #813
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why are you bothering to try to get KSM to work by potentially bricking Kobos instead of just doing the decent thing and suggesting that the currently working solution of NickelMenu and KFMon? That's highly irresponsibly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:15 PM   #814
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Could you explain what it is that you think "can really mess them up"?

I don't know why "Eddierm" felt the need to "update" his Kobo firmware, but he seems to have been pretty satisfied with what he had with KSM and an earlier Kobo firmware. An Operating System (OS) and programs running well on a device, don't age and go bad. They can only keep running as they do, they don't spontaneously change. The hardware can degrade (the battery) or become damaged but short of an outside attack the software will keep working as it always has.

Luck;
Ken
There is a solution to install KOReader that is a simple setup and works with the current firmware. There's no reason to keep trying KSM when even the author says it's no reliable and may not work. It's time to give up on KSM and use what works.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #815
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Why are you bothering to try to get KSM to work by potentially bricking Kobos instead of just doing the decent thing and suggesting that the currently working solution of NickelMenu and KFMon? That's highly irresponsibly.
Why do you care? They are working with their devices. They know the risks and are obviously willing to accept it. And KSM has always been capable of bricking a device if used incorrectly. The first post is labelled to show it is not being updated for newer firmware and devices. If others are able to workout how to get it working, then that is a good thing.

And while I don't use KSM, NickelMenu and KFMon, the latter are not real replacements for KSM. Or that is how it looks to me. With KSM you can boot directly to an alternative reader, such as KOReader, without ever seeing the Kobo software. That is what some people want to do and it makes a lot of sense to do that if you don't want to use nickel.

Jon: One warning is reasonable. But, continuing to harp on about it when the people involved are clearly demonstrating that they know what they are doing it only going to damage your reputation.

Last edited by davidfor; 11-13-2020 at 08:41 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2020, 12:52 AM   #816
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Why not just concede and tell others to NickelMenu and KFMon which does work?
You did tell everyone that it doesn't work more than once.

Why keep telling same thing over and over and over? You think that they are idiots? You think you need to "hammer" into their stupid heads something you decided they have to think?

The truth is simple: KSM 9 still works for some of us and we are (OK, I am) pretty happy with it. For me, KSM is live and kicking.

For some it doesn't work. Well, that is said in the very first post of this thread by the developer. What more do you want? If someone don't want to read first post which is necessary to be read to be able to install KSM, what more you think you need to tell these persons?

Really, I don't get you, so much hate and animosity towards anyone or anything is pretty strange and a bell for alarm for me.

Last edited by Alan_S; 11-14-2020 at 12:58 AM.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:05 AM   #817
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And while I don't use KSM, NickelMenu and KFMon, the latter are not real replacements for KSM. Or that is how it looks to me. With KSM you can boot directly to an alternative reader, such as KOReader, without ever seeing the Kobo software. That is what some people want to do and it makes a lot of sense to do that if you don't want to use nickel.
That is main reason why I don't use NM.

I don't have any use for nickel, don't like it, don't want to see it if I don't have to (and with KSM I don't have to).

Everything works fine with KSM on my devices which I don't update because updates basically update nickel, rarely anything that would be useful to me.

There's also some other things that KSM can do (and does) for me that I use and all in all, I'm very happy with KSM.

When I'd get new devices that would have too new firmwares to use KSM, then I'll use NM and I'm very happy and extremely grateful to NM's developers for their work and effort, really, I really appreciate what they do, but I still at the moment on my current devices prefer KSM. And KSM works for me.

I also hope that in some future moment tshering will continue to develop KSM, but, well, I understand him as well.

On the other hand, I can't understand how someone so much insist that something is "dead" and keeps harping that ad nauseum.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:06 PM   #818
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
Everything works fine with KSM on my devices which I don't update because updates basically update nickel, rarely anything that would be useful to me.
The firmware can include updates to the Linux components. The two that I can think of that happened this year are to Busybox and dosfstools.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:46 PM   #819
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And the kernel, which is fairly critical, because, for instance, early (or not so early...) Mk. 7 kernels were... let's go with "fun".
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:29 AM   #820
Alan_S
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The firmware can include updates to the Linux components.
Yes, I'm aware of this fact, this is when update breaks things like KSM and they stop working.

But, as Ken mentioned, if device works fine with old firmware (and KSM plus koreader or something like that), there's no need to upgrade it. You can, but then you risk breaking something.

So, I stay with firmware that I have from moment I bought device, use KSM plus koreader and I'm happy with it.

I know that other people prefer things differently and that is fine with me. If I'm happy and they are happy, we all are happy.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #821
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
Yes, I'm aware of this fact, this is when update breaks things like KSM and they stop working.

But, as Ken mentioned, if device works fine with old firmware (and KSM plus koreader or something like that), there's no need to upgrade it. You can, but then you risk breaking something.

So, I stay with firmware that I have from moment I bought device, use KSM plus koreader and I'm happy with it.

I know that other people prefer things differently and that is fine with me. If I'm happy and they are happy, we all are happy.
But your use case is outside the norm. Most people will update the firmware. So they need a solution that works with current firmware and not have to rely on running an old firmware.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:36 PM   #822
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
And here's the script, in case anyone wants to check my math; I basically moved the firmware upgrade stuff back nearer to the bottom where it used to be, and the wifi stuff back to the middle where it used to be, then stuck the KSM launcher stuff in between where it used to live:
For what it's worth, I installed your rewrite of rcS on a Kobo Mini running 4.25.15875 and it still boots into Nickel happily. I'm going to leave the KSM install to another poster.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #823
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
But your use case is outside the norm. Most people will update the firmware. So they need a solution that works with current firmware and not have to rely on running an old firmware.
Enough, Jon.You've expressed your opinion more than enough times to become very annoying. If someone wants to run KSM, it's their choice. If someone does not want the latest firmware, again, their device, their choice.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:57 AM   #824
Alan_S
Evangelist

Quote:
But your use case is outside the norm.
And your actions, what you do here is also outside the norm.

Did you see first post of this thread? What more do you want?

Please, explain, what more can be done that you would become content with KSM situation today as it is now?

As you should be able to see, first post more than clearly explain everything to anyone who reads it. Also, installation instructions are in that first post, behind spoiler tags, so you can't install KSM without reading first post (did you read what's written in first post of this thread?).

So, either we deal with people who already have KSM and use it happily for whatever (you would say perverse, outside the norm) reasons they use it.

Or, new users who don't have KSM already installed would need to read info about KSM no longer been supported, no longer working on new firmwares and devices.

So, what more can be done? What's missing that would make you happy, outside your ad nausem writing that KSM is "dead"?
Old 11-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #825
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For what it's worth, I installed your rewrite of rcS on a Kobo Mini running 4.25.15875 and it still boots into Nickel happily. I'm going to leave the KSM install to another poster.
Thanks. So it went right to nickel? Then I feel like either the new boot sequence either skips the file entirely (which would go counter to what it says in inittab and how Linux startup scripts are supposed to work, but what do I know) OR something about KSM exits abnormally when it tries to start up and it continues on booting (at a glance, I'm leaning towards this), which is actually a good thing if true because the alternative would have been a soft brick. OR I messed up in making the .tgz and it didn't actually install in the right place, lol. :P

But like I said, I spent less than 10 minutes looking at this. I may try again when I have time at the end of the month, but no promises that I'll be able to figure out what's going on. If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears. I'm going to miss KSM if this is really the end. :-/
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote