Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nextbook 8p - how to get skype

Android version 2.3.1

Cannot get google play on this device so can't get skype. It uses app called slideme and this does not seem to have skype.

Any help appreciated
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
You could Google a copy of the Skype APK file, side-load it to your device and launch it from your file browser. This is assuming the Nextbook 8P is able to side-load and it has a file browser. You'll probably have to enable, somewhere in the settings on the device, the ability to install third-party apps. I don't have my Android phone with me at the moment, so I can't tell you where in the settings that would be.

Update: I've just noticed, Skype is available on the Amazon Marketplace here. That's another option.

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 10-22-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by slainte View Post
Android version 2.3.1

Cannot get google play on this device so can't get skype. It uses app called slideme and this does not seem to have skype.

Any help appreciated
Yours had SlideMe? Mine (which I took back to WalMart the next day 'cos it couldn't keep a USB connection to my computer if I transferred more than a single file at a time :/) had GetJar. I grabbed Skype from the goodereader.com Android store, but it was bad, to say the least. :/ (I think it was the phone version of Skype; video quality, both incoming and outgoing, was horrible [my computer's got a $20 no-name webcam with better video quality!], sound was a mess [again, my computer's got a $10 mic from WalMart, yet it has better quality!], and the video was upside-down, no matter what I did [which is what makes me think it must be the phone version])
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
You could Google a copy of the Skype APK file, side-load it to your device and launch it from your file browser. This is assuming the Nextbook 8P is able to side-load and it has a file browser. You'll probably have to enable, somewhere in the settings on the device, the ability to install third-party apps.
It can and it does - comes with both the basic file explorer and Astro by default - and comes with the option to install 3rd-party apps already toggled on.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What do you mean by sideload
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

"sideload" = manually copying books, music, apps (.apk files), etc. to the device rather than using a store interface.