Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2018, 09:36 PM   #1
ReaderGeeked
ReaderGeeked began at the beginning.

Device: Forma, Aura One, Clara HD, Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 4 & 3...
Kobo Forma Case

The Forma cover feels quite nice. In contrast, the Aura One cover feels like "elephant skin".

However, I AM concerned with the durability of the cover when used folded. If you look at this review (link below), you can see how the "lip" is folded over to prop it up. I'm concerned with the creasing and wear/tear from this position.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/2/1...der-date-price

Click image for larger version

Name:	0-CC72886-9295-4-C60-81-FD-183-AEC6-D4706.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	167478

Last edited by issybird; 11-06-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Oversize image thumbnailed.
ReaderGeeked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Kobo Forma Case

I actually love the feel of the Kobo Aura ONE cover. No regrets buying it and would again in a heartbeat.

Personally, I'm not a fan of folding stand style covers. I prefer a more book-like feel with a rigid front cover. So I have never folded my Aura ONE cover and it still looks great. You'd be hard put to tell it from brand new and this is a reader that goes everywhere with me and gets a ton of use.

So I'd suppose if wear is a concern, you could opt to just ignore the stand feature. I carry a little Moko stand in my purse, small, mostly flat and lightweight. At home I use a sturdier stand that simply sits on my dining room table.

P.S. One benefit of just using an actual stand is that you have more capability to adjust viewing angle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by graycyn; 11-04-2018 at 02:23 PM.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2018, 02:41 AM   #3
djazz
Enthusiast
djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One LE
What is the weight of just the Forma case in grams?
djazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I don't see the weight listed anywhere but according to my kitchen scale it weighs 132 grams.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For people waiting for cheaper Chinese covers (like me)... what are you currently using to protect your Forma? I don't feel comfortable stashing it in my bag unprotected.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
For people waiting for cheaper Chinese covers (like me)... what are you currently using to protect your Forma? I don't feel comfortable stashing it in my bag unprotected.
I'm waiting also.

Since the Forma is so thin, I just sat it on top of my laptop in its case.

I've also carried the Forma in my hand when I wasn't encumbered with other things.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
s0ckpupp3t
s0ckpupp3t began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I've decided that the Kobo Sleep Cover is pretty useless as a either case or a stand for my purposes (reading in bed late at night) and not worth $50.

The cover is too floppy when folded back and used for extra grip in between my pointer and middle fingers when holding the forma over my head and the stand angle is too low to keep the Forma upright when reading sideways while laying down.

I just would like a cheaper case with just a straight non-origami cover.

Last edited by s0ckpupp3t; 11-06-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.
s0ckpupp3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
I doubt I'll get the official cover. I want to keep the device the way it is, light and thin. Unless there's a cover designed to be readily and easily put on and taken off, I'll be looking for some kind of rigid sleeve style case, and live with the mushy power button. I've already gotten used to it.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #9
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
I've got one today.

What I like, I should not press that button and swipe screen anymore.

What I dislike, the device becomes more bulky and I'd prefer read without it.

I think I'll get another cover, something like simple felt pouch.

But I don't want to return cover either. It is pretty good and book in it reminds me old sony's prs-500 for some reason (oh boy, I have a nostalgia).
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:37 AM   #10
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
I'll be looking for some kind of rigid sleeve style case.
I can never seem to find one like that. There are always plenty of unlined neoprene sleeves on Amazon and Ebay, and handmade sleeves on Etsy with varying amounts of foam padding, but no hard-sided relatively form-fitting sleeves anywhere.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:10 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I would really like if some intrepid reviewer would test to destruction with bending and twisting movements, seeing how the display holds up. I would hope to be able to get one and use it caseless, just putting it in a soft pouch in my my bag, but without more testing ... not yet.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #12
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I can never seem to find one like that. There are always plenty of unlined neoprene sleeves on Amazon and Ebay, and handmade sleeves on Etsy with varying amounts of foam padding, but no hard-sided relatively form-fitting sleeves anywhere.
Yes, agreed, nothing hard-sided. And the Forma is a non-standard shape, so difficult to find anything with which one could make do. Either too big or too small, nothing in the Goldilocks zone. A "form-a fitting" clam shell style case would be ideal. I want to protect and get easy access. Maybe the market will come through, otherwise might try to make one myself.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:36 PM   #13
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I would really like if some intrepid reviewer would test to destruction with bending and twisting movements, seeing how the display holds up. I would hope to be able to get one and use it caseless, just putting it in a soft pouch in my my bag, but without more testing ... not yet.
Well, I've been using it NAKED in my handbag since day one with no problem. Granted I'm careful not to put keys or such in the same compartment, but it is next to my glasses case (rigid) and my phone. And I do choose my handbags with readers in mind, so squarish shapes, not formless - I don't plan to test it to destruction.

Last edited by anacreon; 11-07-2018 at 05:38 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #14
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Looks like the black sleepcover case is gone from Walmart.com. The plum one remains and with no indication of low stock.

The black is still available from kobo directly and maybe retailers in Canada I didn’t check. A shame since Walmart is now the US face for kobo.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:27 AM   #15
agentofhope
agentofhope began at the beginning.

Device: Sony dpt
awesome

It's worth it. The look, fit, feel, it's luxurious. The way it folds back and is held there by magnets. It works.
agentofhope is offline   Reply With Quote