Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
Problem with Starting

After opening a book in Edit book there is no reason to revert to anywhere. Revert to '' Start of editing session '' is superfluous at that time.

IMHO there is a lack of logic here.

Added I fear that with a non consistent/unlogic chronology/naming of edition progresses there can go errors with the storage of such.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Revert to ''Start of editing session''.png
Views:	224
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	135505  

Last edited by chaot; 03-03-2015 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Reformulation: Same statement - better, more polite English
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post
My problem with editing and saving starts right in beginning: Before start editing.

Revert to ''Start of editing session'' shows the situation before editing anything. In my logic the blue arrow left can still not be activated at this time but only after a first change.
And what's more, if it is clicked at that point in time, and that click is immediately followed by a "Quit" then the question about 'Do you want to discard changes' is popped - eh, what changes. Happens with Preferences->Integration with calibre->Update metadata in the book when opening unchecked, besides which the above happens when editor is run via Windows Open With.

I have vague recollection that this issue came up as soon after the editor was released amongst a lot posts about Save v Save as etc, maybe the anomaly slipped through the cracks.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This makes perfect sense to me -- the checkpoint "Start of editing session" needs to be saved, else how do you revert if you change things without a global change?

And you have performed a change (not an undo), so it needs to be saved. The fact that the change is binary identical is irrelevant.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To me "Revert to start of editing session" is the equivalent of 'undo everything that was done' or reload the original - that it happens to implemented by going back to an automatic checkpoint is irrelevant me. If the user doesn't take checkpoints (and I suggest most don't, most of the time) then that button will always be "Revert to start of editing session" which most people...

Other editors I use (one image, two video) that have checkpointing facilities provide options to go to start, last checkpoint or a specific checkpoint label. If I go back to start and quit I am not prompted to save changes.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-02-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:33 AM   #5
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Happens with Preferences->Integration with calibre->Update metadata in the book when opening unchecked ...
Currently only taking to this point reference: One of the reasons why I use calibre with English interface is the advantage of being able to understand you better. Therefore 'paths' should be named and found without any further effort on search and time.

Where is what you mentioned?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Preferences.png
Views:	154
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	135526  
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2015, 04:56 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post
Currently only taking to this point reference: One of the reasons why I use calibre with English interface is the advantage of being able to understand you better. Therefore 'paths' should be named and found without any further effort on search and time.

Where is what you mentioned?
@chaot - sorry, the Editor has its own set of Preferences, I assumed as a user of the Editor you would have been familiar with the menus. Although in your defence I note that the existence of Editor Preferences is barely acknowledged in the manual - all it gets is an oblique mention in respect of adding dictionaries.

It's at the bottom of the Menu item Edit (also ctrl/p, so in that respect it's consistent).

I don't know why Kovid used a menu driven interface with the ebook-editor rather than using the icon driven interface he uses in the library manager and ebook-reader programs. One is tempted to say it was a retrograde choice

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-03-2015 at 06:22 AM.