Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 06:44 AM   #16
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
People seem to forget that the free upgrade is for the on the FIRST year.

If a drive crashes after the 1st year & must install the OS on a NEW drive, then the person is "out of luck". Maybe some policy change "may" happen during the 1st year? Will a backup really work or will a msg say that it is an upgrade not for a virgin install.
The upgrade lasts you for "the expected lifetime of the device". I reckon if your HDD crashes, then you'll have to reinstall the OS your device came with originally from your backup disc. You'd ideally want to make a new backup image after installing Windows 10, of course.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:50 AM   #17
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
By the time windows 10 is released I'll be in the market for a new Laptop. I certainly wouldn't ever considering upgrading the OS on our current two laptops. In my view the only reason W10 is free is because of the fiasco of Windows 8. I hate to think what we will all do if Microsoft get W10 wrong. I can always buy a MAC but God knows what businesses would do.
I disagree. I think it's free because they want to incentivize uptake of 10 to leverage the benefits of the single OS on all devices - PC, tablet and Mobile phone. Once people figure out that it works seamlessly on all devices, they might be more likely to consider a Windows 10 tablet or Windows 10 Phone instead of iOS or Android.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 07:04 AM   #18
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I'd have to see what this OS as a service means first.

Let's take the generous case: you buy the OS, you get it for life. The subscription simply facilitates updates to the OS, which will be produced on a more regular basis. That can be good for Microsoft and good for consumers. Consumers get a streamlined update process, so it's easier to adopt the latest developments. Microsoft gets a steady revenue stream and can focus upon moving forward with their product rather than supporting old operating systems for a decade.

However, I'm not interested in paying a yearly fee to run an operating system. Application software, I can decide on a product-by-product and year-by-year basis. Operating system software though, I can't. An OS is needed, and the only way to get out is to switch to a competing product. That is non-trivial. On the surface, with an OS that chugs along without a subscription (albeit without new features), that may appear to be okay. Yet there is also the consideration of security updates. That may be a deal-breaker since running an unpatched OS on a public network is a pretty awful idea.

Depending upon the uptake of the subscription services, it may be an issue for Microsoft as well. If uptake is low, Microsoft may be forced to support older revisions for longer than they want to. Only, this time around, it won't be based upon a release that is a few years old or even annual snapshots. It will be based upon rolling releases that may happen several times a year. That doesn't sound fun. In fact, it sounds downright expensive.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:54 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I remember when I used to look forward to Windows upgrades. Now I dread them I will stick with Windows 7 until Microsoft seriously gives me a good reason to upgrade.
Isn't free a good reason?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'd have to see what this OS as a service means first.

Let's take the generous case: you buy the OS, you get it for life. The subscription simply facilitates updates to the OS, which will be produced on a more regular basis. That can be good for Microsoft and good for consumers. Consumers get a streamlined update process, so it's easier to adopt the latest developments. Microsoft gets a steady revenue stream and can focus upon moving forward with their product rather than supporting old operating systems for a decade.

However, I'm not interested in paying a yearly fee to run an operating system. Application software, I can decide on a product-by-product and year-by-year basis. Operating system software though, I can't. An OS is needed, and the only way to get out is to switch to a competing product. That is non-trivial. On the surface, with an OS that chugs along without a subscription (albeit without new features), that may appear to be okay. Yet there is also the consideration of security updates. That may be a deal-breaker since running an unpatched OS on a public network is a pretty awful idea.
Quote:
Myerson's reference to Windows "as a service" simply meant that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs.
Oh, and:

Quote:
It is very clear from this post that for the first year it's available, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free if you have Windows 7 or 8. You will not pay for it. After that year is up, nothing will happen to your Windows 10 license. If you do not upgrade within that year, however, you will have to pay for an upgrade. The offer expires after a year, not the upgrade.
http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-win...-subscription/

They had a similar (but somewhat more expensive ) option when Windows 8.1 came out. You could upgrade from XP or Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 for about a quarter of the normal upgrade price.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #21
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I wonder if Office 2007 would work with Windows 10, or have to be upgraded.
I've only ever upgraded the OS when I've bought a new PC. I generally don't see much reason to change what I've gotten used to.
MSO 2007 works great on Win10
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #22
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Isn't free a good reason?
When it comes with all the time and effort to relearn the system? All the programs that need to be upgraded? Time and work are still a cost.

There are reasons why people don't switch to Linux despite it being free.

I'll probably update my 8.1 device at some point because I barely use it anyway and have nothing to lose. But my Win7 desktop is staying put until I can test it out. Especially if 'OS as service' means 'Google-style spyware' and I need to add in a bunch of firewall rules.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #23
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
When it comes with all the time and effort to relearn the system? All the programs that need to be upgraded? Time and work are still a cost.
I'll probably update my 8.1 device at some point because I barely use it anyway and have nothing to lose. But my Win7 desktop is staying put until I can test it out. Especially if 'OS as service' means 'Google-style spyware' and I need to add in a bunch of firewall rules.
I didn't have to relearn anything, Windows 10 is like 7 & 8 combined, you get the best of both worlds. And there is no motive for MS to spy on you like google does, because most of the data google collects is for their massive Adwords advertizing business.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
It doesn't surprise me that Windows 10 is going to be free, because it seems that there's somewhat of a lack of interest in updating an OS given the figures still using Win7 (I'm in that): 48.14%, and XP: 28.47%.

That XP figure is extraordinary given that XP came on the market in 1999 (perhaps)?
Lack of interest?

I know of a Major* business that is JUST rolling out a W7 upgrade (from XP) to their Bay Area locations. 1000's of systems Think of the expense, just to retrain the common user (Common users are not Power users, found in engineering situations. Changing an Icon throws them for a spin.)

*I am not naming for basic site security reasons
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I disagree. I think it's free because they want to incentivize uptake of 10 to leverage the benefits of the single OS on all devices - PC, tablet and Mobile phone. Once people figure out that it works seamlessly on all devices, they might be more likely to consider a Windows 10 tablet or Windows 10 Phone instead of iOS or Android.
+1
This will also allow new you to get hooked on used to new, cross device features
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #26
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
One of the more-surprising aspects to getting that vision off the ground was the announcement that for the first year, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to anyone running a PC on Windows 7 or 8.
I watched the keynote, and they specifically said the upgrade would be free for Windows 8.1 users of both desktop/modern and phone to migrate to Windows 10.

I don't remember any mention of Windows 7 being included in this offer (or even 8, prior to the .1 release).
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #27
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
The upgrade lasts you for "the expected lifetime of the device". I reckon if your HDD crashes, then you'll have to reinstall the OS your device came with originally from your backup disc. You'd ideally want to make a new backup image after installing Windows 10, of course.
Upgrading after a HD crash may not be necessary. Once you upgrade, you should receive a valid Windows 10 product key and will likely be able to install Windows 10 straight from that point on. We won't know for sure until MS addresses this directly, but I suspect this will be the case. Either way future reinstalls won't cost anything on that device.
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #28
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I watched the keynote, and they specifically said the upgrade would be free for Windows 8.1 users of both desktop/modern and phone to migrate to Windows 10.

I don't remember any mention of Windows 7 being included in this offer (or even 8, prior to the .1 release).
Windows 7 was mentioned as being included in this offer, but only with the latest SP applied.
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post

I'm using the same programs on Windows 7 as on Windows 8.1. So there is most likely not going to be an issue of having to upgrade the programs you use.

I found there was some differences between Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, but I was able to find out all I needed to know by doing some very simple Google searches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #30
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
After hearing rumors of Windows 10 being subscription based with either a monthly or yearly fee, this is surprising news (in a good way). It almost makes me consider upgrading my 2 XP machines to Windows 7 now. Except for so many things I absolutely hate about Windows 7 and that those 2 XP machines are so rock-solid stable without any problems at all makes me think why bother.

I don't think it's resistance to change or disinterest as much as if it's not broke, don't change it, especially to something that will continually annoy you daily. There wasn't this resistance to upgrading Windows from 3 to 3.11 to 95 and then to 98. I guess I'll try Windows 10 while it's free, but with a full working cloned drive of the Windows 7 installation on my main PC in case I hate it so I can just switch back easily.
You should really update. XP is no longer supported, there is a risk of security flaws.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote